Heljan O guage class 33 and class 26

english electric

Brian,

I recieved another two 33's yesterday (this time both blue) and have been thinking this morning about fitting one of them with ploughs. I found the attached picture of 33015 which, as you say, shows that some examples did not carry the centre section, only the two outer ploughs.

One word of warning, which you mentioned previously, the plastic hand rails are very fragile and one of my locos had 2 damaged from where they have obviously broken while in transit due to the weight of the loco lying in the box, however a quick call to Howes this morning and they acknowledged that it was a known weak area, and they will be sending replacements when the spares arrive in the new year.

One thing I have noticed is that whether by good planing or by luck Heljan have not put overhead warning flashes on the blue model. On checking photos today it appears that locos were not fitted with them until the 80's thereby making the model suitable for earlier periods. As they say, "its easier to add than to take away".

post-9005-0-29694300-1293196799_thumb.jpg

Blimey these 33's are selling well! Some times Heljan do listen to suggestions as per the warning flashes :) Something has happened to these models as mine had the buffers ramed into the housing one end suggesting the box had been droped on it's end but there is so much foam on the ends there is no way the buffers could have come into contact with the end of the box so how they got damaged is anybodys guess.

Nearly done mine now. I decided to paint the fibreglass panel cream but it will take 2 or 3 coats to get it to cover but as per the cab roof coment earlier it will be weathered over it later so not too worried about coverage here.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

There are more pictures and information on the Heljan class 33 and 26 tower models website.

Fresh pictures supplied by Heljan of the latest test mouldings and they are quiet.

Class 33s Can be collected at St Albans & Dartford at good prices to RM Web folk. Charlie@dckits.co.uk

Happy Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried fitting a sound decoder to the Class 33 yet, in the instructions it clearly says that all you have to do is unscrew the circuit board and connect in the ddc decoder, and that no cutting is required. There are clearly resistors on the Heljan cct board if these are not fitted in line with the lamps won't they be far too bright or even blow if connected directly to the dcc decoder. Anyone have any ideas please?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom, glad you like it. I am thinking of rubbing down those mould lines over the cabs as I will be re-spraying it there with weathering anyway so should cover up the rubbing. Nearly finished the painting of the bufferbeam and tank bits so should have a picture on here by tonight on my workbench thread.

I am putting the ploughs on mine but just debating if I should cut the side ploughs off and mount them on the bogies as per the model and then make a couple of brackets and mount the middle bit on the bufferbeam as per the prototype. Or I might just leave the middle bit out as a few pictures show them running with just the outers. Just trying to make up my mind. Still don't know which one to do yet either, EH or HG one :unknw_mini: Decisions, decisions

Hi Brian,

This is my first post, so hope I have 'posted ' correctly!!

I have seen the pics of your 33 in it's weathered condition, and wondered if you have a view of the roof from above? I am picking up a couple of cromptons at the weekend, in blue, but I will be numbering in the 65xx series.

I am hoping to convert the second loco in to a 33/1.

Would you know if there is anyone who supplies the neccessary parts to carry out the conversion? I built a RJH 33/1 several years ago, and managed to obtain a superb pair of coupling hooks with drop down buck eye couplings, but cannot remember who supplied them.

Regards, Rich

• 1 month later...

Just got mine into a reasonable state where she is "show off-able" (still a sound chip to come!)

DSC_7966.jpg

At the moment she is in here late 80's guise, trying to source a high intensity lamp so when this is found she will become D6508 (how I remember her) in her 90's guise!

As for parts to convert to 33/1's, there was a thread about this somewhere, I think the suggestion was try PRMRP as they do castings of the pipework etc

• Like 3

I have just been lent this production 26 to give it a blast round the test track at Kettering tomorrow. There is a bag with all the pipes/jumper cables and folded over discs for you to fit as they were getting broke on the 33's whilst in transit. If you see me walking round tomorrow and you want a look at it please ask me.

post-6766-0-61384300-1299248331_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-34843100-1299248334_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried fitting a sound decoder to the Class 33 yet, in the instructions it clearly says that all you have to do is unscrew the circuit board and connect in the ddc decoder, and that no cutting is required. There are clearly resistors on the Heljan cct board if these are not fitted in line with the lamps won't they be far too bright or even blow if connected directly to the dcc decoder. Anyone have any ideas please?

I have my eye on a green Class 33 from Hattons at £395.00 and I would want to fit DCC so I was going to ask the same question myself Pete, so I wonder if you have had any response either from here or from elsewhere as to how straight forward it is.

Cheers

Willy.

Hi Willy,

I purchased my Loksound XL decoder from Howes. They sent me detailed instructions on the fitting of the decoder, which took between 15-20 mins.

There are no resistors to add or wiring to replace. It would apear that Heljan have thoughtfuly made the wiring to fit the XL.

Howes did advise extending the motor wires, but I found it un-neccesary.

If you want to use all functions, your set will need to access 13 F settings, 15 if you wish to turn on/off the tail lights independantly. I chose to loose a couple of sound options, and managed (With help from Bryan Robertson, who programmes the decoder for Howes) to run the tail lights on F6 & F7, and fan on F11.

On reflection, the fan was a waste of time, as it is too fast and too loud.

Good luck, Rich

Hi Rich,

Thank you for the information. That is very good news that they have wired the loco so as to simplify the fitting of a decoder. I tried to fit a decoder to my Hymek and I have to say that I made a right pig’s ear of it when I tried to modify the circuit board on it.

I see on Howes website that that they are listing the XL as "sold out" so I will have to give them a call and find out when they are expecting to have it available and then all I need to do is dig deep into the pocket!

Thanks again.

Willy.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been lent this production 26 to give it a blast round the test track at Kettering tomorrow. There is a bag with all the pipes/jumper cables and folded over discs for you to fit as they were getting broke on the 33's whilst in transit. If you see me walking round tomorrow and you want a look at it please ask me.

Nice!

Like the bogie stretchers..... BLUE please.....

Well the 26 is in the shops now :yahoo:

I will detail it up a bit as per the 33's I did. Does anyone know of a 26 like this with token hole and the number under the secondmans window fitted with headlights? I think 26040 was like it but not totally sure. Picture of 26023 showing the style but without headlights. As you can see there a couple of bags of bits that include the snowploughs, folded discs, jumper cables, brake pipes and snow shield for horn. Not included, but they are on the spares sprue, are the cab doors without the windows. Hope they haven't used too much glue to fix the cab doors in! The fuel and water tanks on this seem ok width wise so I won't need to narrow them thankfully. The yellow will need to be re-painted as I will need to take it back along the side windows. I hope I can blend in some blue on the doors as well or I will have to paint it all.

post-6766-0-64805500-1305826946_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-26752100-1305826950_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-42541100-1305826964_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-61363500-1305827282_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the info csvt but I just looked at that and the numbers on the bodyside. I have looked at the picture in Bradford Barton Disels in the Highlands of 26040 and 26042 doubleheading. The lead loco has headlights and numbers on the righthand end like my picture above, As my pictures of 26040 show it does not have headlights and a picture of 26042 shows it headlight fitted I can assume the picture in the book has 26042 leading. So this model will be 26042.

Recieved supposed 26/0 from Tower on Tuesday it is without a doubt a 26/1. The folded discs are yellow which does not match in with the livery. Wireing in the Xl decoder is a doddle if you follow the instructions not your instincts. Decoder fits nicely into shelf provided. Performed superbly today under exhibition conditions with full white discs (to be replaced). must have been on Royal train duties.

Terry

• 1 year later...

Post 5 ... 2 ½ years ... but I finally picked up the 33 I've been waiting to get my hands on from Tower at the Reading show yesterday.

Pondering converstion to 33/1 to make it just slightly different from most I'm likely to see on other layouts, shouldn't be a massively difficult job but can't seem to find a kit yet?

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 1

Not yet Brian but I will do - may not be worth the hassle if it's a DIY jobbie but it'll be of interest all the same. Have you come across any issues with the 33 I ought to know about before I start thinking about numbering/weathering at the very least?

• 4 weeks later...

Not yet Brian but I will do - may not be worth the hassle if it's a DIY jobbie but it'll be of interest all the same. Have you come across any issues with the 33 I ought to know about before I start thinking about numbering/weathering at the very least?

I posted a request for 33/1 detailing parts, but there is not a great deal out there. The only issue I had with my 33 was a split gear, which Howes replaced within a couple of days FOC. (Not a very common problem on the 33s, but if needed, check the reply to my request for replacing the gear.) Once repaired, the 33 runs beautifully.

If fitting the snow ploughs, you will need to cut back a couple of the hoses.

If you are going for DCC, installing the XL decoder is a 15 minute job, but if you want to be able to turn off the rear lights while pulling a train, you have to programme this yourself. The speaker fits perfectly in to the fuel tank. (Maybe that is why they are slightly wide?)

I did not bother with the fan in the end, as it was either too fast and loud, or would not run, you cant really see it anyway.

I have a Howes decoder, and although it's ok, if I were buying another, I would check out the XL decoders that Legomanbiffo produces. (Strange name, but listen to his sound programmes on YouTube) Once the 31 arrives, I will be installing one of his. 

I have several of the Heljan diesels, and I think they are all excellent locos, not neccessarily 100% accurate, but they run well and can pull what ever you can afford to put behind them!!

Hope you enjoy your 33,

Rich

Edited by bagpipes331

I'm currently running the loco on "address 0" as and when I need to, isolating it from the power when not actually moving so as not to damage the motor, rather than shell out £60+ for a chip then £170 or so for a sound chip when I've saved up for it.

I think I'll stick with the 33/0 given that the /1 bits are essentially non-existant (although I can't help but wonder whether an EMU kit supplier may be able to supply the bits, if I can find one?) and still need to order some transfers!

Popped into these guys last weekend as I was in the area - http://dcctrainautomation.co.uk - to pick up a DCC cable I needed, and had a nice chat with them.  They're doing some sound chips, I think Zimo and CT-Elektronik, loaded with UK sounds and a 33 is on the 2013 'to do' list.  I haven't heard any of their sound projects yet but the impression I got was that they would be cheaper than the usual ESU based ones.

I'm currently running the loco on "address 0" as and when I need to, isolating it from the power when not actually moving so as not to damage the motor, rather than shell out £60+ for a chip then £170 or so for a sound chip when I've saved up for it.

I think I'll stick with the 33/0 given that the /1 bits are essentially non-existant (although I can't help but wonder whether an EMU kit supplier may be able to supply the bits, if I can find one?) and still need to order some transfers!

Popped into these guys last weekend as I was in the area - http://dcctrainautomation.co.uk - to pick up a DCC cable I needed, and had a nice chat with them.  They're doing some sound chips, I think Zimo and CT-Elektronik, loaded with UK sounds and a 33 is on the 2013 'to do' list.  I haven't heard any of their sound projects yet but the impression I got was that they would be cheaper than the usual ESU based ones.

Peter Clark models (WWW.peterclarkkits.com) (enquiries@peterclarkkits.com) produce nice EMU kits with all the front cables and hoses, he may be able to suppy the parts including rubbing plates seperatley.

Off subject slightly, but I noticed you are working on a Bachmann 121. Pete supplied the cab interior, lights and seats for mine. I run it on a 00 scale sound decoder by Howes. Sounds great! (I have a pic on the Heljan Western topic, parked next to my JLTRT Western) If interested I can send pics of my weathered 33 and 121 to your email address.

Rich

I've sent Pete a message already - I do know him and have bought a few of his bits already.

Hadn't picked up about the insides for the 122, will have a pokearound on his site too.  My 122 has the SWD DMU sound decoder in it, OO as well.

Feel free to post your pictures in my layout thread in my signature - or make your own thread - as I'm sure there are others that would like to see what you've managed to achieve.

Have you tried PRMRP cromptonnut?

I'm not sure exactly what they supply re the 33, but their kits are aimed at converting the old Lima 33 loco into a more presentable model or even the 26/27 variant. I had started carving up and old Lima 33 and have a class 27 conversion kit to assist. I've since found a Heljan class 33 body so figured I might as well use this to save around 30 cuts in the Lima body to make it to scale.

There's my new years project out in the open unintentionally!

He heh.

Sean.