Heljan O guage class 33 and class 26

english electric

I'll see what Peter Clark comes up with then if no luck I'll drop PRMRP a line.  I do see their kit does a 33/0 or 33/1 but obviously it isn't clear whether the 33/1 bits are on a separte sprue or you need half the kit for the bits.

I have no specific reason to model a 33/1 I just thought it might be a little different from all the other Heljan 33's that run in 'as is' condition on layouts all over the country.

• 6 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I wonder if the class 26 experts among us could help please?

I note that the Heljan class 26 has the nose end doors plated over, is this correct for the green liveried version?  Does anyone know when did they started to get plated over. I see Tower models have 3 left and l m tempted, but suspect its not up to the same standard as the latest models like the 25/3 of the Peak. If anyone has any photos of theirs they would be prepared to post l d be most grateful.

Many thanks in advance

Bob C

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/06/2019 at 19:49, Blobrick said:

I wonder if the class 26 experts among us could help please?

I note that the Heljan class 26 has the nose end doors plated over, is this correct for the green liveried version?  Does anyone know when did they started to get plated over. I see Tower models have 3 left and l m tempted, but suspect its not up to the same standard as the latest models like the 25/3 of the Peak. If anyone has any photos of theirs they would be prepared to post l d be most grateful.

Many thanks in advance

Bob C

I profess no expertise, however if you mean the HJ2670 class 26/1 (retaining tablet recesses but end door plated over), some did run in green with small yellow panels in that condition in the late 1960s but I don't think it was a terribly common combination. I don't know the date when plating over began, but my best guess is that it would have been about 1968.  I believe the doors were welded shut some years before being plated over, but all the 1967 photos I found in a quick internet search showed the doors still in place, whereas by 1969 several were plated over (but increasingly also blue or green/FYE). Here is a link to a picture of D5333 at Waverley in 1969:

D5333,D5128,Edinburgh Waverley

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/07/2019 at 23:07, 64F said:

I profess no expertise, however if you mean the HJ2670 class 26/1 (retaining tablet recesses but end door plated over), some did run in green with small yellow panels in that condition in the late 1960s but I don't think it was a terribly common combination. I don't know the date when plating over began, but my best guess is that it would have been about 1968.  I believe the doors were welded shut some years before being plated over, but all the 1967 photos I found in a quick internet search showed the doors still in place, whereas by 1969 several were plated over (but increasingly also blue or green/FYE). Here is a link to a picture of D5333 at Waverley in 1969:

D5333,D5128,Edinburgh Waverley

Hi 64F

Thank you for replying, your information confirms what l ve found so far, sounds like  unless l wish to model a preserved loco, the green Heljan loco is going to be no good to me

• RMweb Premium
On 08/07/2019 at 16:26, brian daniels said:

Nice looking model I think, ok I've changed the discs for JLTRT cast ones, moved the springs in under the bogies and added the headlights but that's all.

IMG_7575.jpg

IMG_7593.jpg

Hi Brian

Thank you for taking the time to post the two photos. You are far to modest, you ve done a cracking job and really brought the model to life. Weathering is a subtle art, and as in this case, really brings the subject to life

Thank

Bob C 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, AeBor said:

Much obliged.

I have only seen 33008 listed on Hattons website, but I guess others should update soon

That’s because I got them to contact Ben at Heljan as they didn’t know about it, so I could pre order it, and now my wife knows because she asked what I was typing so now I am in the dog house lol 

• Funny 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Dutch liveried 33 arrived this morning - all well out of the box, nothing missing or fallen off. Will give it a good blow at the Club this afternoon and then look inside the body later to check space availability for speakers - the so called instruction sheet says "To convert your class 33 model into DCC, simply remove the PCB and replace it with your chosen O Gauge decoder. No need to cut or do anything else to convert your model into DCC" we shall see!

regards

Mike

34 minutes ago, Ressaldar said:

My Dutch liveried 33 arrived this morning - all well out of the box, nothing missing or fallen off. Will give it a good blow at the Club this afternoon and then look inside the body later to check space availability for speakers - the so called instruction sheet says "To convert your class 33 model into DCC, simply remove the PCB and replace it with your chosen O Gauge decoder. No need to cut or do anything else to convert your model into DCC" we shall see!

regards

Mike

Can I ask where from? Don't seem to have appeared on any websites yet.

Edit: ok forget that, they've started to appear now!

Edited by admiles

5 hours ago, admiles said:

Can I ask where from? Don't seem to have appeared on any websites yet.

Edit: ok forget that, they've started to appear now!

Hi admiles,

I ordered mine from Antics yesterday @ 09.05 and it was delivered today  @ 10.30, seen here running on the Wirral OGG layout Wirral Parkway this afternoon, pulling 29 wagons, starting on the curve and pulled away on less than 5 volts.

20200129_143349.jpg.cbaee0c3b5eff5d9801576bfea993e22.jpg

20200129_143357.jpg.5e736149c64f3978c6449b7c5e38de9c.jpg

will be getting the body off tomorrow to see inside and then decide on speakers to go with a Zimo MX699KS

regards

Mike

• Like 1

as requested, herewith pictures with the lid off - the usual 4 screws outboard of the bogie swivel bracket and thankfully, no prizzing out of the bodywork, it just lifts off
P1010463.JPG.d91361148cdeea314cdd6fe68fef99af.JPG

first glance reveals neat and tidy work, but then you notice that NMRA wiring standards are out of the window - so much for the signs of progress on this with the Class 50
P1010464.JPG.0646f6b4a31d6e0369eadbf578311fec.JPG
and what appears to be a reversion of the right hand bogie being wired into the left hand side of the PCB as in the Class 50 which resulted no need to extend any wires to suit the Zimo decoder.
P1010465.JPG.b991a285b8839980ef1badfbf8a84f1e.JPG
close up of the PCB with no visible concerns as to which wire goes where
P1010466.JPG.fd356833042e947ea0fcb8736c0fb18b.JPG
looks like a standard Heljan mtor and gearbox.
P1010467.JPG.a190bf891dc6f867a8895d6d7629b518.JPG

the PCB lifted to reveal a space for a speaker or two - 50mm x 40mm and a hole on the left hand side for wires to go to the fual tank speaker void which is 55mm x 45mm. The big downside is that Heljan have reverted to the old fixing spacing arrangement and not provided the reversible strips with alternative spacings for the decoder board to fix onto again as in the Class 50. I will fit a carrier plate for the decoder and hope that not too much 'milling' will be required to allow clearance for the new fixing bolts etc.

Now that I know what space I have for speakers, an order to YouChoos seems on the cards.

More postings next week.

regards

Mike