ECoS 50210 not recognising Loksound V5 chip

Yorkshire Deltic

I have recently updated my DCC control system to the ECoS 50210 from a Dynamis one and have been adding locos without any problems until I tried to add my Dapol 122 DMU. It is fitted with an ESU V5 sound chip from DC kits and has operated perfectly previously.

I added it to the ECoS command as I had with other locos / units but the controller won't recognise it on my layout and therefore no functions work.

I thought maybe there was a fault with the chip so I placed the model on my programming track which is linked to a ESU lok Programmer which communicates with the model and it operates with no problem.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong with the ECoS 50210 please. 

Edited by Yorkshire Deltic
Issue resolved by system reset

• RMweb Gold

Did you program the chips address using the ECoS?

Have read the chips address using the ECoS?

Edit loco and its settings page 3 (might be 2 ) if I recall correctly, set it to the programming track and ask it to read CV 1

this should return the address the ECoS thinks is in the chip, the lokprogrammer works because it is address agnostic so it will always communicate with it.

Edited by pheaton

• 6 months later...

I had this problem when I upgraded my softwere the loksound v5 decoders would not

work, the problem turned out that you have to turn on railcom and railcom plus otherwise

they do not work, you can run the loco on the programe track and change cvs and no

response on the main.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not sure if this is the best thread, any help would be appreciated.

ECoS not seeing V5 sound decoder reads as Generic NMRA on my controller as per the photo below.
ECoS is using the latest firmware. 

I turned off railcom/railcom plus to stop CS MK5 coaches buzzing and have turned it back on but still doesn’t allow you to see the advanced menu settings and is still showing Generic NMRA and not ESU V5 even after a re-reading the decoder. 

Do I need to delete the locos from the system which are affecting?

Reset the ECoS?

2E0D57F6-5CB5-4782-B499-F69481AE7CEB.jpeg

What release of the ECoS firmware is installed on your ECoS?  4.2.10 is the latest version. 

I recall recently reading that ESU had to update the design of the V5 decoders because of changes due to component shortages. That required a change to the decoder firmware, and ESU have still to release an update to the ECoS firmware so that it recognises the new decoder firmware as a V5. But I will try to check my facts. 

Edited by GoingUnderground

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2023 at 21:08, GoingUnderground said:

What release of the ECoS firmware is installed on your ECoS?  4.2.10 is the latest version. 

I recall recently reading that ESU had to update the design of the V5 decoders because of changes due to component shortages. That required a change to the decoder firmware, and ESU have still to release an update to the ECoS firmware so that it recognises the new decoder firmware as a V5. But I will try to check my facts. 

I am correct about there being a redesign last year after the release of firmware 4.2.10. So that is most likely to be the cause. We'll just have to wait for an update to the ECoS firmware. 

However, I believe that ESU have kept the LokProgrammer software up to date and the most recent version 5.2.2 should correctly recognise all V5 decoders.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry Eric, missed the notification for this.
Running 4.2.10. firmware. So like you say will have to wait, I think ESU forget sometimes they are German and should be efficient 🤣 

I’ll have a play on lok-Progammer 👍
Cheers

D

• 8 months later...

Bump....

Hi folk - in trouble with ECoS again... but I hold high hopes and confidence that someone in here holds the silver bullet cure and is willing to share.

I'm a newb with DCC - be the first to put my hand up, so patience please...

I have the second edition ECoS - have updated firmware to the latest version.

I also have Lokprogrammer and have updated firmware in that as well.... 

All my equipment is ESU... everything, except one keep alive unit in a recently purchased little steam loco - which is turned off - as instructed when programming -  Loco runs fine on my shelf layout without it - so, to prevent damage - just running "cold" with the K/A in this loco kept off. I have ESU K/A units in other loco's which should be fine when programming... 

Now to the issue....

This new loco has a Loksound 5 DCC decoder in it.... the files were written by DCC-sound. (Oz).. loaded into the decoder at the factory.

In default - the motor speed control is set to 3 point (I beleive to satisfy NRMA standard).. 

Using Lokprogrammer - the loco runs absolutely fine... everything works as it should.

However, when added into ECoS... I cannot run this loco slowly, it stops abruptly as the model slows for a stop.. and "lurches" into a scale speed of around 5 mph when first opening the throttle...... but - using Lokprogrammer, it will do all of this perfectly.

When I added the loco into ECoS... it did it all automatically.... brought up the decoder on a entry page.. I had to change the address to a number in excess of 1000 to satisfy my fleet... but that's all I did... 

If I place the loco back onto a short test track with Lokprogrammer - it's fine... but not when using ECoS.

I'd be keen to learn of anything I haven't done.. or need to do to overcome this running issue... 

My guess (from what I have read above) - is that when using Lokprogrammer, it uses a generic address for the loco... and it's within this that probably holds the answer as to why ECoS has issues with some form of protocol or address recognition.

I don't know if the security embedded into these files makes it impossible for programmers to read the info... but I cannot "see" or read the sound files... using Lokprogrammer - the report comes up as "no sound file found".... I know they are in there, for everything works.. but I can't see the files and Lokprogrammer can't "read" them when the little green read sound file icon is selected... 

My question concerns ECoS not being able to run this loco slowly, and the abrupt start/stop operation using the cab control throttle.... 

Hope some of this makes sense?... 

much appreciated,

frats,

Rosco