GW loco coal (not ballast) wagons at Castle Bromwich (MR)

What strikes me is that the brakes are lever brakes, whereas the GWR diagrams show DCII.  Tourett mentions that the first 70 to diagram N10 actually had lever brakes.  So the right hand hopper is an early N10, height 3’2.  But the taller pair on the left don’t seem to get a mention in Tourett which is a bit odd as they ought to be younger- later N26 were 9.5” taller than N10.

Alternately, the left hand pair are the early N10 and the right hand one is only 2’4 - a one off built in 1886.  But on the N10, N26 & P6/7 designs, 2’4 is only just above the flare of the hopper so there isn’t any straight side, not like the wagon in the photo.

Quandary

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

What strikes me is that the brakes are lever brakes, whereas the GWR diagrams show DCII.  Tourett mentions that the first 70 to diagram N10 actually had lever brakes.  So the right hand hopper is an early N10, height 3’2.  But the taller pair on the left don’t seem to get a mention in Tourett which is a bit odd as they ought to be younger- later N26 were 9.5” taller than N10.

Alternately, the left hand pair are the early N10 and the right hand one is only 2’4 - a one off built in 1886.  But on the N10, N26 & P6/7 designs, 2’4 is only just above the flare of the hopper so there isn’t any straight side, not like the wagon in the photo.

Quandary

Given 4 ft or thereabouts from rail level to the top of the solebar, the LH hoppers are clearly nearly the same height again - 3'11.5" would be credible, with the RH hopper 3'2" - but no way is it 2'4" (assuming these measurements are from the top of the solebar). 

I saw the keeper of Atkins at our first socially-distance club meeting yesterday; I could ask for a copy of the relevant pages but I won't object if anyone will indulge me with the build dates or Lot numbers for N10 and N26. Are these bashable from the Cambrian P22 kit?