David & Charles' "Regional History of the Railways of Britain": are they any good?

Jim Martin

I was fortunate enough to know John Thomas well.  I can recall his delight, not long after his West Highland book had been published, and on another of his trips up the line, he found himself sitting opposite a young American student who took a copy of the book out of her rucksack.  She asked John if he was acquainted with the book.   Much to her surprise he told her that he had been the author.  I am sure she was given a never to be forgotten mile by mile railway history and geography lesson of the WHR on that trip.

It must also be remembered that John was instrumental in encouraging others to write Scottish railway histories, including Campbell Cornwell on Caledonian locomotives, and Alan Paterson on Clyde Steamers.  And we have to particularly thank him for persuading David L Smith to get out his pen out and to write his second book on the tales of the Glasgow and South Western, and also his 'Little Railways of South West Scotland'.  Scottish railway histories are all the better for John Thomas.  (AM)

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

What a great thread, really informative and interesting.

I never met David St John Thomas but really liked his writing and admired all the the "David and Charles" books, especially the earlier ones before they started printing on loo paper and then morphed into the book club, ish.

Robin Atthill's "Somerset and Dorset" from David and Charles has a brilliantly written opening, but is possibly eclipsed by what David wrote for his "West Country" regional history volume, which was first published by Phoenix Publishing I think.

He describes the last train leaving Bridgwater North:

On 29 November 1952, inhabitants of Bridgwater's northern outskirts peered cautiously through their windows. Outside, two men ran to crouch in a doorway, automatically covering their heads as a whistle blew and explosions thudded. An accident at a local armament factory was fresh in memory, and anyway the evening itself was eerie: after a wild, gusty day, snow was falling silently, stealthily subduing the suburb.

Thanks to John W for taking the trouble to set out all the above information on the books and also other contributors for their memories and thoughts.

By the way John, in our telephone conversation the other day I got the company name wrong, "Farewell to Trains" is still available from Postscript books, I think I will get myself a copy.

https://www.psbooks.co.uk/Farewell-to-Trains-9780711234079

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
to add quotation
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...