Hornby R6944 Three plank open

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

R6944.jpg.c5b6ef1527aa59fa678ce078b16d2540.jpg

Is this pretty wagon simply a piece of plausible fiction or if based on a real vehicle, how long did they last in service?

Thank you

Cheers and Stay Safe

The LSWR did have some 3 plank dropside wagons - I suppose the devil's in the detail. If it's about 15' long by 8' wide and has a 9' wheelbase then it's a fair approximation though it maybe wouldn't satisfy everyone. The brakes appear to be of the double type with a cross shaft as well which is odd.

Accepting these caveats, some of these wagons lasted into the 50's. 

Guest Jack Benson

It will suffer the of being attacked with a fibreglass brush and a coat black, thus a generic ballast spoil wagon will emerge.

Stay Safe

I was just thinking to myself about the WB.  I don't know the specific wagon but, in the pregrouping era, wagons like this would be 9' WB. 

I stopped trusting Hornby to produce an accurate wagon years ago after being bitten by inaccurate products.

I've said before that if you want accurate wagons, your best bet is kits.

John

19 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

It will suffer the of being attacked with a fibreglass brush and a coat black, thus a generic ballast spoil wagon will emerge.

Stay Safe

Flog it and buy a cheaper version. These are very sought after and sold out ages ago.

Pity ruining a model that others actually want.

Jason

Guest Jack Benson
2 hours ago, Barclay said:

The LSWR did have some 3 plank dropside wagons - I suppose the devil's in the detail. If it's about 15' long by 8' wide and has a 9' wheelbase then it's a fair approximation though it maybe wouldn't satisfy everyone. The brakes appear to be of the double type with a cross shaft as well which is odd.

Accepting these caveats, some of these wagons lasted into the 50's. 

Diag_1731.jpg.bc3a3b0434cd6623f68961e96f28dfa4.jpg

Thanks, it was only an impulse purchase, a decrepit pre-grouping wagon was needed for the end of a siding and it seemed to fit the bill and examples of diag 1731 could still be found lurking in corners of the former LSWR in the 50s.

However, having read Jason’s comments, if anyone wants it, send a pm. 

Cheers and Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson
added image

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

According to 'An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons Vol. 1', the S&DJR did possess some 8ton 3-plank dropsides, at least one of which survived into BR service.  They became SR diagram 1732.

The photo of S62948 does not look unlike the Hornby model, include the brakes.

Hope that's of use.

Regards,

Alex.

• Informative/Useful 2