Information about left hand drive Fowler 4F’s required

Marmight

Hi guys,

I  know that this is a minefield of a subject, but I’m specifically interested in finding out the running numbers of left hand drive engines that were fitted at one time or another with the earlier Deeley/Fowler tenders similar to the earlier Midland built engines. So it’s engine commencing at 44027 and upwards. I’ve seen a pic of 44042 with this tender, but that is RHD.

i believe there were others that were also fitted but were LHD.

Any help on this will be grateful received.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Jason,

Yes, I’ve read those notes, and they are a great help, but I’m sure I’ve seen a photo somewhere of one...prototype for everything maybe? The earlier Midland built engines were all RHD with the earlier tenders, so it’s going to be engine’s after those and excluding the S&D ones.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Martin 

Edited by Marmight

3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Have a look at the prototype notes here.

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/4F_etches.htm

But I don't think any of the left handed 4Fs ever got an early type of tender.

Jason

Probably not. The handbrake was always on the fireman's side, scoop on the driver's but all the early, ex-Midland tenders would have them the other way around.

That might sound a minor detail, but screwing down the scoop in mistake of the handbrake would not have been a good idea: not only could the engine run away when left unattended but would be missing the scoop if it encountered any sort of crossing on its travels.

8 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

Probably not. The handbrake was always on the fireman's side, scoop on the driver's but all the early, ex-Midland tenders would have them the other way around.

That might sound a minor detail, but screwing down the scoop in mistake of the handbrake would not have been a good idea: not only could the engine run away when left unattended but would be missing the scoop if it encountered any sort of crossing on its travels.

Thanks for the reply...that could be a bit nasty...