Diesel Parcels Units on the MML in the 1990s

lather

I've recently got hold of a 1990 WTT for the Midland Main Line (St Pancras to Sheffield, section CG), and it mentions a number of services operated by Diesel Parcels Units - including some really long-distance ones.

I know that, back in the 1960s and 1970s, some of the shorter parcels services, such as the St Pancras to Luton 3C01 service, were operated by the LMR-allocated Class 128s, sometimes with tail traffic, and that the 128s were still around (just) in 1990. What units would be running the long-distance (e.g. St Pancras to Leeds or Nottingham) services in 1990? The WTT shows some services as D1, and some as D1(T), so some obviously had permission for tail traffic. Would it have still been the 128s, maybe with the converted 114s on the rear? Or would it have been some of the other DMU conversions, possibly with a BG or GUV in tow?

The 128 (5) and 114 (5x2) parcels stock lasted until November 1990 (the 127s went May 89). The 128/114 sets were based in Cambridge in 1989/90, the last LMR sets were the the 127s (Longsight based). 

While they did got out and about I never saw them with anything else other than on their own or 128/114 pairings. They were formed to provide services where running round NPCCS was an issues; therefore it is unlikely to have a tail load.

• Informative/Useful 1

Some cls 127 units were converted to parcel cars with the addition of roller shutter doors, including, from memory, 51591, repainted into original green and reserved for the national collection.

The experiment was not very successful! 

Seem to remember seeing the units at bletchley depot but don't recall them running.

Edited by kernowtim