Port Kittoch (N scale)

Gziffo

I have started work on my first N scale shelf layout. The baseboard is from White Rose modelworks and measures 105x25 cm without fiddle yard.

The imaginary location is a branchline terminus at a coastal village, Port Kittoch, on the Scottish east coast. Time period is the 50s-60s BR end of steam phase. Traffic will likely be two coach trains, perhaps a DMU and mixed local goods including a couple of Insulfish vans to serve the small fishing port. I have not been specific about the exact location on the East of Scotland, as I have taken inspiration from many locations, including Eyemouth, and various stations in Banff/Buchan. The station house is modelled on the one at the long gone Fort George station near Inverness. I have a very limited amount of rolling stock so far including a J-39 and old Grafar GP tank. In any case, this is a simple layout in which there is likely to be only one train on the layout at a time.

I am interested in the cameo layout concept, and so the setting is as important as running operations.

The trackwork is all PECO code 55, and I plan to use wire in tube point operation from the rear of the layout, with SPDT switches to change frog polarity.

The baseboard incorporates a cut away section on the front to model a quayside, I took inspiration from a recent Chris Nevard layout in Model Rail.

I am scratchbuilding all the buildings for the layout, and already have a station building, signal box, station house and nearly complete goods shed. The bridge is a bought resin cast, which will provide the 'exit' to a yet to be constructed fiddle yard, potentially a cassette.

Progress on the layout is slow, as I am a novice with electrics, and am trying to keep things simple.

Updates will follow.

trackplan.png

IMG_1849.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

Edited by Gziffo
  • Like 12

• Gziffo changed the title to Port Kittoch (N scale)
  • 3 weeks later...

Some progress has been made with the tracklaying and wiring. This has been a steep learning curve for me being my first layout. Getting the hang of soldering took longer than I expected and can safely say it is not my favourite aspect of the hobby!

Anyway, now that the track is mostly cut to length, it is beginning to resemble a layout. I have cut the tubes for point operation and fitted the first frog polarity switch. 

More to follow.

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress has been made on the layout.

After much adjusting, the wiring and track laying is complete. The wire in tube points are all operational from their respective SPDT switches at the back of the layout.

Track has been painted using enamels for the rails and acrylic for sleepers.

I've made a start to the harbour wall and have been levelling up the area of inset track at the goods shed using card and mountboard. I've purchased some Redutex N scale stone sets to finish this area.

IMG_1886.JPG

IMG_1887.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some more progress has been made on Port Kittoch.

I have finished the platform, which has been made from two sheets of 5mm foamboard, with embossed plasticard stone courses for the walls. The surface is some buff coloured sandpaper that I think gives a good approximation of the gravel surface that I wanted to achieve. The platform edges are thin card, painted with acrylic wash and lightly scored with a scalpel.

I've painted the quayside walls with artist's acrylic paint, a mix of raw umber and grey. For these, I've used 00 scale Slater's plasticard for the oversized stones common in harbour walls. As you can see, ballasting has commenced too. I actually rather enjoy ballasting, I know others often don't, but for me, it is very satisfying seeing the railway become 'life like.' For ballast, I have used some fine grade sand from my son's sand-pit which I mixed with watered down artist's acrylic paint before leaving  to dry and sifting through a sieve. I'm quite pleased with the results. For a steam era layout such as this, I find most of the available ballast too large in scale.

IMG_1900.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

IMG_1917.JPG

• Like 11

• 5 weeks later...

An update:

Ballasting is now complete, and the tracks have been clean and tested with all rolling stock.

I have made a start on the landscape form. This is made from carved polystyrene blocks and mount card for the gradient.

I have experimented with a road surface on thin craft foam which seems to work quite well. It has been cut and provisionally placed but not glued down yet. I've made a test section which has been painted and weather to resemble tarmac. The road marks are made from thin strips of label paper, although they could do with being toned down a bit.

I decided to scratchbuild a new bridge as I was unhappy about the overscale walls in the one I bought.

This was quite arduous as I decided to carve out the stone facing on styrene sheets, but I'm quite happy with the results.

I've added in backboards which are 5mm foamboard. I've also added a fiddleyard cassette made from foamboard to test operations.

More to follow..

IMG_1942.JPG

IMG_1943.JPG

IMG_1944.JPG

IMG_1945.JPG

IMG_1946.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2021 at 09:10, McRuss said:

Good to see the progress on your layout. May I ask from where you got the fishing boat?

Markus

I ordered it on Ebay, although I have scratchbuilt the cab myself as I wasn't happy with the one provided.

• 1 month later...

An update:

More scenic work on the landscape, and have started on another low relief cottage.

I've started making some trees, I had some plant roots that passed for tree branches and these formed the windswept tree in the background. I've also made some tree armatures from twisted wire and DAS clay.

A few good details were purchased from Peedie models- the oil cans and the rowing boat.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4ce.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4c9.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4b8.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4cf.jpg

Edited by Gziffo
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...

Some more progress on the layout - some point rodding and a new scratchbuilt fishing boat.

Also some great cars from Lychett Manor models, Oxford diecast and redandy767 on ebay.UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5c2.jpg.e6b07faf8b554df0f1070a4ba68069ce.jpgIMG_2491.jpg.50356ba5e58ae8d4f742949b268a1aca.jpg1100071094_HjHOM04pQeaIVeTueRYmg_thumb_572.jpg.bf4534a96ad6c28eb8888e7297203cef.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5ca.jpg.e4d45c7c93067654c3fee73aa66997f5.jpgIMG_2486.jpg.d5f9fcc66f18018204054f01d5609ef9.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5c1.jpg.efd60f5ccc64977d39cc04e48dd7398c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5c5.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 7 months later...

Port Kittoch is virtually complete now.

The fascia has been fitted and I have replaced the backscene with a slightly higher one.

Most of the work since the summer has been adding details- the relief station sign from Scalemodel scenery and 3d printed fish boxes from Peedie models.

Some low relief buildings have been added at the end of the tracks.

I've still not perfected the water, having built up layers of transparent pva and clear tacky glue, it appeared to become opaque after a while, so it has been repainted and covered with several layers of gloss varnish.

IMG_2768.jpeg

IMG_3153.jpeg

IMG_3088.jpeg

IMG_3230.jpeg

IMG_3231.jpeg

IMG_3229.jpeg

IMG_3227.jpeg

IMG_3228.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4