Crossover Points for DCC

Lichfeldian

What is the correct way to wire a pair of back to back Peco points forming a crossover between fast and slow lines on a DCC system, so that they change together on one switch and the frog polarity changes together? As the points are back to back, is the wiring to change the frog polarity the normal way round on both points or does one of them have to be the opposite way round? Thanks.

I use DCC Concepts ADSX accessory decoders for my crossovers. They have frog power outputs which are easy enough to figure out but if the frog polarity is wrong or the points do not change the same way, just swap the wires to the decoder round. A word of warning with these decoders - always power them down as per the instructions before swapping wires. Giving both decoder ports the same address changes the points together. One decoder port will easily operate two point solenoids but will only power one frog as they have to be opposite ways round (don't forget the insulated track joiners on all frog joints!). Another option would be to use a single decoder (like a Gaugemaster unit) to work both points and use DCC80 frog juicers.

Which Peco points?

If you have the new Unifrog points you will not need insulated joiners, but for Electrofrog you will.

The frogs will need to be switched and the frogs will be of opposite polarity, so if operating the two motors together you can use a single DPDT frog switch to switch both frogs at once.

For Peco Electrofrog points in a crossover, put insulating joiners on both rails where the two points connect. Switch the polarity of each of the frogs independently, as shown on the web page linked in Sol's post.

I use MTB MP1 point motors, switched via Digikeijs DR4018 DCC decoders, and for crossovers I use a single channel on the DR4018 to drive both motors, so that both points switch together. Each motor has a built-in switch used to set the polarity of the frog of the point it controls. With respect to frog switching, the setup is the same for all electrofrog points irrespective of whether they are part of a crossover.