British WW2 Coastal Defence Armoured Train

Been wanting to build one of these for a while and the article in Model Rail finally inspired me to have a go. One notable stumbling block was the lack of an RTR F4, so I had to compromise with a second hand R1 I liberated from Hattons. Below is the general look I was going for.

armoured-train.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/10/2020 at 22:57, NittenDormer said:

I didn't know papier mache was bulletproof. 

Almost anything can be used as armour if you have enough of it, it tends to be about compromise when whatever you are armouring has to move though, then you get into a how much does it weigh vs how much protection does it give issue, plus how reliable is the motive power source when trying to move this weight.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Leadmill said:

Found this on Shapeways

https://www.shapeways.com/product/EKJT8CEAF/lner-class-f4-2-4-2-tank-locomotive-kit?optionId=56452421&li=user-wishlist

Which I think is the closest I can get to an F4. I have ZERO experience with building my own locomotives though. Even as a display non runner I imagine the rods et al are complicated to assemble.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Newhaven, our neighbouring town, had involvement with rail-mounted artillery in Victorian times. I remembered seeing a photo of a test firing carried out and when I went to look for it I found it in this article by our local historian. https://sussexhistory.net/2020/09/29/the-flying-martello-tower/ - The rest of the train is as interesting as the gun and its wagon. As the gun and its carriage seem to have been an army volunteer unit concoction, I wonder where they rounded up the rest of the train from.

There is a model of the gun and its mount in Newhaven Fort.

Coast defence artillery rail-mounted Newhaven Fort 6 8 2009.jpg

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1