KR Models announce the Consett Iron Ore Wagon

KR Models

12 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

How much did you pay for that rtr Hornby Clan you subsequently decided to repaint on 6th April 2018 ?

£294 wasn't it ?

When a poster has to to abandon the subject under discussion and resort to slinging personal taunts, I draw the conclusion that he has run out of logical argument.

I shall not engage in further futile discussion with you.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

When a poster has to to abandon the subject under discussion and resort to slinging personal taunts, I draw the conclusion that he has run out of logical argument.

I shall not engage in further futile discussion with you.

John Isherwood.

oh John.

your comment indicating  Your “more guarded in their dispensation of cash than you seem to be” aimed at me.

Thats what I took you up on.

You paid top dollar for a Clan because you wanted one, fair enough.

I fully respect that, (its in black and white in the 2018 thread).

I have a job and family, I do not have luxury of time to build a rake of these wagons in the next decade.

Please do me the same credit by respecting Ive bought Consett Wagons because I want them and dont have time to build them ?

or do you have the retired right to insult anyone with a full time job, kids and paying tax for chosing to spend their cash on rtr than a kit ?

(i’ll also take issue with “abandoning the subject”... thats precisely what you did twisting the topic to a DJ vs KR comparison).

yes I just caught two very good shots on goal from you, but that doesnt mean you should leave the pitch.

Can we be friends again ?.. the audience is running out of popcorn.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Like cctransuk, I would have preferred that KR Models had concentrated on getting the GT3 into people’s hands before embarking on other projects.  After all that is how Revolution Trains and Accurascale started and they are highly respected here on RMWeb, and presumably in the industry in general.

That said, the GT3 does look good and has had good reviews and so I am confident that it will arrive.

I also have to say that there is a trend on this thread for some posters to give KR Models - and by extension those that support them - a verbal kicking whenever the opportunity presents itself.  It’s as if they need KR Models to fail so as to justify their malevolence.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Good grief this is all getting very boring, monotonous, and repetitive. Click on the thread expecting to see something new about the model and it’s just the same old children b**ching and moaning as usual. 

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 1
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Good grief this is all getting very boring, monotonous, and repetitive. Click on the thread expecting to see something new about the model and it’s just the same old children b**ching and moaning as usual. 

Which now includes you....

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

Received an email yesterday saying the order book was now open. Over 3/4 have been sold already, so gladly enough people have liked what they’ve seen so far to give this project the green light, me included. 

Looking forward to these.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I’d just like to refer all the bashers and diggers to the latest KR email. Specifically this line here. 

Certainly good news and I for one, am delighted that KR Models have listened to feedback but, to be fair, without the 'bashers and diggers' as you refer to them (in terms of the model itself, I will freely admit to being one the more vocal bashers although I hope I have also helped in some small way by providing a couple of photos to KR) , they wouldn't have known about the 4 tanks under the wagon and were going to produce the wagon with no interior detail at all.

Based on what is being said in this latest update, the production version of the wagon looks like it is going to be a far better version that we would have got without the 'bashers and diggers'...

I've signed the expression of interest for these wagons but, to date, I've received no update emails at all.

Edited by johndon
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I'm interested in the Fell, GT3, the Consett iron ores, the Leader and even the Clayton demonstrator.  They all look like they will be good quality models of interesting prototypes that are not available from the mainstream trade, and at a fair price.

However after a career in financial risk management I recognise certain business symptoms even without seeing a set of accounts.  I rather think this business is dependent on the continued good health of one individual.  The method of funding does carry risk to the customer and that has to be managed, and it is always possible that he is being over-ambitious in having so many on the go at once.  So despite a very attractive product range I will not place a second order with a small supplier who is clearly working on very limited financial means until I get delivery of my first order.   It's just like the bank (quite rightly) putting a limit on my credit card.

I wish him well in his endeavours, good health in these difficult times and I trust my confidence will not prove misplaced.  I look forward to being able to place an order for another of his projects in the near future.

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Like 9

16 minutes ago, johndon said:

To be fair, without the 'bashers and diggers' as you refer to them, KR Models wouldn't have known about the 4 tanks under the wagon and were going to produce the wagon with no interior detail at all...

There's a big difference between constructive feedback and the grumbling you see from bashers and trolls. 

A few people have provided constructive feedback in a polite manner. And there's a handful of select people who choose to flood almost every KRM thread with their nagging. 

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

11 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

There's a big difference between constructive feedback and the grumbling you see from bashers and trolls. 

A few people have provided constructive feedback in a polite manner. And there's a handful of select people who choose to flood almost every KRM thread with their nagging. 

Agreed, to clarify my previous comment, the wagon will be all the better for the feedback in this thread that has pertained specifically to the wagon and not to KR Models as a company.

Edited by johndon
  • Agree 4

6 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I'm interested in the Fell, GT3, the Consett iron ores, the Leader and even the Clayton demonstrator.  They all look like they will be good quality models of interesting prototypes that are not available from the mainstream trade, and at a fair price.

However after a career in financial risk management I recognise certain business symptoms even without seeing a set of accounts.  I rather think this business is dependent on the continued good health of one individual.  The method of funding does carry risk to the customer and that has to be managed, and it is always possible that he is being over-ambitious in having so many on the go at once.  So despite a very attractive product range I will not place a second order with a small supplier who is clearly working on very limited financial means until I get delivery of my first order.   It's just like the bank (quite rightly) putting a limit on my credit card.

I wish him well in his endeavours, good health in these difficult times and I trust my confidence will not prove misplaced.  I look forward to being able to place an order for another of his projects in the near future.

I’m interested in all of those too, except perhaps the wagons. Likewise, I would like to have GT3 screaming on my layout before I commit myself to any further orders. That is not directed specifically at KR. Likewise, I want my Accurascale throbbing on my layout before I commit to a 92 or 37. Accurascale has a reputation for good Irish models but has not yet produced a British one. Likewise, Hornby, on the other hand, has a reputation for producing certain liveries rather dolefully. Caution required.

29 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Accurascale has a reputation for good Irish models but has not yet produced a British one. Likewise, Hornby, on the other hand, has a reputation for producing certain liveries rather dolefully. Caution required.

I think their reputation is deserved.  They have produced quite a large range of excellent British wagons, just as well for my wallet that they are mostly not ones I am after, although I do fancy the forthcoming nuclear flasks and the Deltic.  They have put on a good stand at a few model railway shows (remember them?).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Accurascale has a reputation for good Irish models but has not yet produced a British one.

I think you will find, M’Lud, that Accurascale produces only British prototypes of which the HUO, PFA and PTA wagons have been issued to great acclaim.  The Irish models are produced, surprisingly, by Irish Railway Models.

They are of course the same company.

Cheers

Darius 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think Michaels point is fair.

I held a similar view.

(2 years ago I was much more extreme).

but its not a 1 person company. Granted any small business is a risk.

The GT3 has been seen in mass production, and final production version independently evaluated.

its unfortunate that its sharing in Shenzhen -UK  sea transportation issues along with Heljan AEC, 25,86 and Bachmann 94xx, class 57s and Hornby A2 and Accurascale KUA and EFE Tube stock and Footplates Salmon and Oxfords N7, J15 all of which were due in the same 3 month delivery window for end of 2020 .. means it isnt  KR’s unique issue...

i’ll cut some slack there.

I would say though, the whilst the docks are full of oo gauge manufacturers boxes awaiting rare to find empty containers, or floating around the north sea looking for a place to dock... the factories themselves are still busy squirting paint and plastic... so expect a lot more to arrive by Febs end and of course the factories clear the floor and send it it here at Chinese New Years... prepare your wallets now, because there is a glutony of models arriving by Easter...

A prefunded model might be risky, but so might be paying rrp for much of 2021’s new releases, my fear is with such sheer volumes coming (452 pregrouping coaches alone),.. that the traditional model bubble is set to burst, taking the value of many personal collections with it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 07/01/2021 at 20:27, adb968008 said:

... that the traditional model bubble is set to burst, taking the value of many personal collections with it.

So you buy models as an investment - or at least for resale?

I buy them because I want to run them - I couldn't give a tinker's cuss what they'll sell for when I'm gone.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 10

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

So you bay models as an investment - or at least for resale?

I buy them because I want to run them - I couldn't give a tinker's cuss what they'll sell for when I'm gone.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I buy them to run, though I have far more locos than any of my layouts really need.

I do care about what they sell for when I'm gone as that is Mr Simon's and his sister's inheritence, or part of it.

Perhaps you don't have children to leave the proceeds to? 

Les

7 hours ago, Darius43 said:

I think you will find, M’Lud, that Accurascale produces only British prototypes of which the HUO, PFA and PTA wagons have been issued to great acclaim.  The Irish models are produced, surprisingly, by Irish Railway Models.

They are of course the same company.

Cheers

Darius 

I’m guilty of vagueness and depending too much on context. I should have made clear that I meant locos.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

So you bay models as an investment - or at least for resale?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Ive been in the hobby too many years to believe anything is a good investment.

However

I have been in the hobby enough years to know not to throw anything away either.

I buy, I do whatever I like, which can include disposal, dismantling or just plain practicing.

My wife knows what my collection is worth, to the item. I doubt she will play with it when I’m gone.

10 hours ago, Les1952 said:

I buy them to run, though I have far more locos than any of my layouts really need.

I do care about what they sell for when I'm gone as that is Mr Simon's and his sister's inheritence, or part of it.

Perhaps you don't have children to leave the proceeds to? 

Les

I most certainly do - but I doubt that they will have the time or inclination to sell my collection in a way that will realise its true worth. A quick call to Hattons, and take what they offer, I suspect.

It is a mistake to regard one's collection as an investment; enjoy it, but do not console yourself that it can be easily converted to ready money by those who follow on.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive been in the hobby too many years to believe anything is a good investment.

However

I have been in the hobby enough years to know not to throw anything away either.

I buy, I do whatever I like, which can include disposal, dismantling or just plain practicing.

My wife knows what my collection is worth, to the item. I doubt she will play with it when I’m gone.

What a collection is worth 'in theory' is one thing; being prepared to sell and despatch it, item-by-item so as to realise it's 'true worth', is an entirely different scenario.

..... and first find the buyer who agrees with your valuation!

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

What a collection is worth 'in theory' is one thing; being prepared to sell and despatch it, item-by-item so as to realise it's 'true worth', is an entirely different scenario.

..... and first find the buyer who agrees with your valuation!

John Isherwood.

As a long time inhabitant of auction sales, including those selling model railway items there is a very simple truism - something is only worth what it will fetch on the day (if the sale).  I have watched considerable price swing for various things over the years as they have gone in and out of fashion - yes there really are fashions in model railway buying, and they change over time.  

Buying for investment in model railway terms is very often a fools errand although there one or two things which hold their price - and it's not about value, it's about price.  And price is influenced by current fasjhion, rarity, and - above all - condition of the item being sold.   Whatever it appears like when it arrives it is quite possible that a KR GT3, or even a Consett hopper wagon, could at some time become a highly sought after object because of comparative rarity or being mint-in-box etc thus fetching high prices.  We really don't know what anything is worth until somebody offers what they think it is worth, 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I thought the old joke was 'when I'm gone, I hope my wife sells it for what its worth, not what I told her I paid for it!' 

As an aside, I recently was asked about how to sell some model railway stuff from one of my co-workers father's estate - another thing found in the garage was a live 6 inch artillery shell - she phoned the Police who were round extremely quickly, having become a bit confused between inches and FEET!

Jon

Edited by jonhall
spellin
  • Like 4
  • Funny 7