KR Models announce the Consett Iron Ore Wagon

KR Models

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Bishdurham said:

Quality Control is their middle name!

It is of course quite possible that these are photos of pre-production models  which were made available fr final approval before the main production run commenced - and assembly errors even at that stage - can sometimes happen.   That doesn't necessarily excuse using the wrong size wheels but that too might be because the correct ones weren't available at the right time.  So the real test comes, as always, with what is delivered to the customer and it will be interesting to see if these faults have been corrected.

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

It is of course quite possible that these are photos of pre-production models  which were made available fr final approval before the main production run commenced - and assembly errors even at that stage - can sometimes happen.   That doesn't necessarily excuse using the wrong size wheels but that too might be because the correct ones weren't available at the right time.  So the real test comes, as always, with what is delivered to the customer and it will be interesting to see if these faults have been corrected.

I completely agree.  My concern is that the issue with the wheels and the end release handles was pointed out when the first EP was shown (the one that had no interior).  Subsequent photos have shown the second EP that has the interior but the other issues do not appear to have been addressed and time appears to be running out as I believe that the wagons are due next month...

I've said this before but, for such a unique wagon that, let's face it, no one else is going to produce, it would be a real shame if the issues weren't addressed, if they were, I'd be in for 18 of them.

Edited by johndon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

That doesn't necessarily excuse using the wrong size wheels but that too might be because the correct ones weren't available at the right time.

My e mail to Keith asked "One question Keith, can you please confirm what size (diameter) wheels will be fitted to these wagons."

His reply, in full was

"Hi Colin,

12.5mm dia.

Kind Regards

Keith Revell

Managing Director

KR Models Ltd"

I e mailed him again yesterday as follows and am awaiting his reply

"Hi Keith

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I understand that the prototype wagon has smallerthan normal wheels and the correct diameter in 4mm scale is 10.5mm

Will this be corrected in the final production run? and if not will you be able to supply 10.5mm diameter wheels that can be fitted as a replacement?

Best regards

Colin McLeod"

I'll let you know his response.

IMHO it is implied that any model manufacturer should make accurate models, and that includes not ignoring any information that corrects fundamental obvious errors such as wheel diameter.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

"Hi Keith

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I understand that the prototype wagon has smallerthan normal wheels and the correct diameter in 4mm scale is 10.5mm

Will this be corrected in the final production run? and if not will you be able to supply 10.5mm diameter wheels that can be fitted as a replacement?

Best regards

Colin McLeod"

I'll let you know his response.

Thank you for asking the question and posting the reply. The only problem with fitting 10.5 mm diameter wheels now is that it will affect the bufferbeam height visually, and drop the RTR couplings by 2mm too, which will potentially affect coupling reliability and compatibility.
While these wagons were never on my wants list, I do find it frustrating that a contemporary manufacturer gets things like wheel diameters wrong to such a degree they have a notable visual impact on the finished product.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly in the video on page 6 of this thread showing an early version of the model coupled to a 9F the buffer centre line of the wagon was noticeably lower than that of the tender in clearly broadside shots.   The difference is difficult to estimate from the film but I wonder what diameter wheels were used on the wagon at that stage of development?

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Interestingly in the video on page 6 of this thread showing an early version of the model coupled to a 9F the buffer centre line of the wagon was noticeably lower than that of the tender in clearly broadside shots.   The difference is difficult to estimate from the film but I wonder what diameter wheels were used on the wagon at that stage of development?

From what I’ve seen, the wheels have been 12.5mm since the beginning. 

Edited by johndon

Looking  at the model it would appear that a washer could be used to raise the height of the body and buffers, but the couplings would appear to be part of the bogie and would be lower if the correct 10.5mm wheels were used.

• RMweb Gold

I got this reply from KR Models.

ignoring the fact that KR Models should know the diameter of the prototype wheels, can anyone help with Keith's question?

"Hi Colin,

Sorry for the delay but I had to find out the answer.  In the actual wagon, what diameter do you think the wheels are?

Kind Regards

Keith Revell

Managing Director

KR Models Ltd"

Just had a look back through the thread, the incorrect wheel size was pointed out in December 2020 and KR Models response, in this thread, was, and I quote:

"The wheels is one of the fixes. Not much of a reduction to get it to scale."

Edited by johndon

55 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I got this reply from KR Models.

ignoring the fact that KR Models should know the diameter of the prototype wheels, can anyone help with Keith's question?

"Hi Colin,

Sorry for the delay but I had to find out the answer.  In the actual wagon, what diameter do you think the wheels are?

Kind Regards

Keith Revell

Managing Director

KR Models Ltd"

There is a clue on the diagram book if you know where to look

image.png.80da340f83ceb989dbd109e8dd673e6f.png

Jon

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Who would have thought it?

Having been offered advice and information, you would have thought it would be easier to get it right than to guess.

Depends how far advanced the tooling was when the error was pointed out, and whether 'Lowmac' diameter wheels were available in a viable timescale.

4 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Depends how far advanced the tooling was when the error was pointed out, and whether 'Lowmac' diameter wheels were available in a viable timescale.

The error was pointed out 11 months ago and KR Models said it would be sorted and, since then, they have shown new engineering prototypes with the same, incorrect, wheels...

Edited by johndon
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, KR Models said:

There is no error with the wheels.  2' 9" converted into mm and scale is 11.02mm, which is what the are. 

Keith

In the email exchange with Colin you said that the wheels were 12.5mm, was that incorrect? 

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, KR Models said:

There is no error with the wheels.  2' 9" converted into mm and scale is 11.02mm, which is what the are. 

Keith

Keith, you told me in your e mail that the wheels are 12.5mm.  That is not the same as 11. 02 (sic) mm.

If the model's wheels are indeed 11mm dia then that would be consistent with @jonhall's diagram above.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
spelling.

44 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Keith, you told me in your e mail that the wheels are 12.5mm.  That is not the same as 11. 02 (sic) mm.

If the model's wheels are indeed 11mm dia then that would be consistent with @jonhall's diagram above.

Howdy, Mike here

The wheels are in fact 11.02mm after taking the model apart and checking what size they are. 

My fathers email is what he thought the wheels size were, he was obviously mistaken. 

Now everyone has the correct information. 

Our apologies for the misinformation and confusion.

Edited by KR Models
Corrected a number.
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1