KR Models announce the Consett Iron Ore Wagon

KR Models

4 hours ago, johndon said:

Aside from my niggles with the wagon, one thing I will comment on, before anyone else notices, that is definitely wrong on the EP is the manual release handles on the ends (or at least one end of the wagon).  In the annotated photo below, I've circled the handle in question.  On the model, as it stands, on both ends the handle angles down to the left so it ends up on opposite sides of the wagon at each end.  This is incorrect as the handles were on the same side of the real thing at both end so, at one end it should slope to the left and, on the other, it should slope to the right.

To give KR Models their due, when I pointed this out, they did say that it would be corrected on the production example.

82CEF11D-A9E9-4A23-9CDB-5DE4C952A18B.jpeg.3205e4559889e3ca175b3f58376ead67.jpeg.aafb09b9061ace368841566ac80550a2.jpeg

Have we definitely seen both ends of the same wagon?

19 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Have we definitely seen both ends of the same wagon?

I have and if you look at the photo I annotated you can’t see the handle at the other end of the wagon. In any case KR have confirmed that they are aware of it and that it will be sorted on the production run. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As always, I appreciate that they video does say that these are pre-production but, for me, there are still a few issues but I've already passed these on to KR so I'm assuming that they won't change now.

One thing that really stand out though is the wheels - the wagons appear to be fitted with standard sized wagon wheels and they should be the smaller 'lowmac' style wheels.

John

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, johndon said:

One thing that really stand out though is the wheels - the wagons appear to be fitted with standard sized wagon wheels and they should be the smaller 'lowmac' style wheels.

John

Buffering heights look about right so sadly I don't think the correctly sized wheels will be included. 

Paul A. 

• Agree 1

What stood out for me in the video was the section on the price- at less than £25 per wagon it makes them not much more than the brake van they were coupled to (and quite a bit less than a Queen Mary bogie brake...)

Including wheels and couplings would one get the higher quality kit for that price?  And, being dyspraxic with repetitive Strain and arthritis what would I have to pay per wagon to have one built?

I'm not in the market for these- not enough space on NO PLACE.  In N-gauge Croft Spa is on the wrong line and barely justifies the Tyne Dock O1 that occasionally runs on it...

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, johndon said:

No, you wouldn't, the kits are around £35 per wagon.

I don't see any of the naysayers coming out as prepared to pay £35 a pop each for a rake of wagons with all of the faults corrected to their satisfaction.....

Les

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

24 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

I don't see any of the naysayers coming out as prepared to pay £35 a pop each for a rake of wagons with all of the faults corrected to their satisfaction.....

I guess I'd count as one of the naysayers and there are still a few problems, in addition to the wheels, on the samples in the video.  However, I have not just been critical in this thread, I have actually had some contact with KR and sent some photos of the real wagons as well but they have decided not to correct all the issues (although they did, thankfully, do the interior which they weren't originally planning) I pointed out which, of course, is their prerogative.

Had they done so I could easily have been in the market for these wagons although, as it happens, I already have a full rake of 9 of the Bradwell kits and another 9 built from the Alexander kits so I, for one, was prepared to pay the extra.

I am, however, modelling a location on the actual line they run on so, perhaps more so than most, the accuracy is important to me...

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Les

I'm trying not to sound too critical as I can see where you're coming from, but;

Why do these objectionable naysayers have to justify their reasons for paying whatever they want to obtain the model to the standards which satisfy them?

A lot of people have already paid "£35 a pop" for their wagons, and no doubt some will carry on so doing when the RTR version comes out, doesn't make them bad people, railway modelling is a broad church.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Les

Unless there’s a last minute change then these models will be released with incorrect diameter wheels. Nothing to do with naysayers, the manufacturer implied the fault would be corrected, so far it hasn’t been. Earlier in this thread in response to a comment regarding accuracy the manufacturer told us they do research to get details correct. I think most of us thought the days of Lima Mk1’s and Dave Jones undersized wheelsets were behind us. Looks like they might not be.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget that the price charged for any model railway items is not necessarily an indicator of anything other than the need to cover costs and make an element of profit.  Beyond those basics what is charged at retail level is really little more than a marketing decision and a decision on how much profit to make.  If someone is not interested in making a high level of profit and have kept their costs down in various ways such as using a factory which end loads its charges (as some Chinese factories do - especially when looking for new customers - thus minimising any payments at intermediate steps in the development process) then such savings can be passed on in the pricing.

If a company has overheads to meet for such things as premises, research & design carried out in house, borrowing money to meet charges at the various stages as work progresses, and other things then they will have more to recover in the retail price.   And generally the larger a company is the greater those costs are likely to be - so the price is higher.  All down to simple economics.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/09/2021 at 08:16, Fredo said:

Hi, any updates on when the iron ore wagons may arrive. Thanks Fred

I think I saw on Facebook somebody asked the same question and the reply was they didn't know.

There appears to be a lot of not knowing in the world today.  Some admit it, some don't.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Then why not tell us if you know?

i’m not the official stenographer.

Why not watch it if you want to know ?..

its only 4-6 minutes in, and covers delivery of gt3 2nd run, consett and the Fell.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

its only 4-6 minutes in, and covers delivery of gt3 2nd run, consett and the Fell.

Well I’m on Facebook, and follow their page. There’s no recent live stream in their feed, the most recent being a year ago. I’m assuming this isn’t the stream in question.

31D443BF-A217-4014-8E2E-EB77FD00B471.jpeg.31bdb09d1313bff06129a4e628e2dd0c.jpeg

So if it doesn’t come up on a Facebook search from a fb user following their page, how many customers are they missing out on? 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

What a nice, considerate and helpful human being you are.

Darius

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/09/2021 at 13:03, Darius43 said:

Darius

I’m sorry if you think i’m the one being rude, however when someone demands answers, to something they cannot be bothered to discover themselves, its a common courtesy to at least say “ please”.

Then why not tell us if you know?

I found the ask to be very rude.

Kr models posted the video for a reason.. to get viewers watching it, not one spokesman to note down and advise everybody else.. they could do that themselves if thats what they want to share.

I consider myself very helpful... but not when i’m at work, responding to snipe comments in an already caustic thread. 
I cant just drop everything and go research something for someone too lazy to do it themselves.

Rather than shooting the messenger, why not watch the message ?

theres a ton of useful stuff in that video including Bellerphron and Leader.  (Sorry ive not typed out what those specifics are either before anyone asks, as Ive other things to do, and you might actually find it interesting to watch).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I suppose rudeness is in the subtext.  I didn’t perceive the original request for information to be rude but thought your “I know but won’t tell you” responses to be somewhat obnoxious.

That perception is only reinforced by your post above.

Happy deleting.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2