Detail differences between Derby built 108’s and 114’s

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’m trying to find out what the differences are between the Derby built Class 108’s and 114’s apart from 108’s body shell built from Aluminium and 114’s built from steel, giving them the nickname “heavyweight”.

I’ve looked on railcar.co.uk but to my untrained eye, I can’t see any differences but I’m sure someone knowledgeable will be able to clarify details.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, russ p said:

I'm pretty sure 114s were 63 or 64 foot and 108s were 57 ft

I’ll have another look on railcar but I think you could be right.

The obvious giveaway between the designs is the middle passenger saloon.

On a 108, this has three full size windows (or bodyside lights, to use the correct terminology) plus a half sized one. The half window is furthest from the cab.

On a 114, the middle saloon has four and a half windows, with the half at the end nearest the cab.

Another clue is the configuration of the guard's van.

On the 108, there are two "half" windows adjacent to each other, while the double doors are at the rear end of the vehicle.

On the 114, the double doors have one small window between them and the passenger section, and another between the double doors and the rear end of the vehicle.

If the cab end has a four digit headcode on the roof dome, that's a 108. (Or a 107...)

If the cab end has a single marker lamp on the roof dome, that's a 114. Also if there's a lamp on the roof dome and two lamps in the "normal " location on the cab front, that's a 114, post refurbishment.

If there are two marker lamps on the cab front and a destination box on the roof dome, it could be either a 108 or a refurbished 114 (as some of the latter lost the upper lamp) - see other clues, above.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Yes, they are 64'6" versus 58'1".

The 114 is also 460hp as opposed to the 108 being 300hp.

They were re engined early in their lives with albion engines. 

One of the two preserved ones was fitted with Leyland TL11 engines although not as powerful as the albion engines it had a lot more torque not sure of the current state of the unit or if it still has those engines.  Was quite good fun , opening the throttle of a DMU and getting turbo scream! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Taigatrommel said:

I'm pretty sure 108s are mk1 body profile (continuous curve) while 114s are more akin to a Stanier coach or suburban DMU type, ie starting roughly straight and curving in towards the bottom.

Additionally, the windows on the 108s are lower than on 114s (and 107s). This can be seen from the larger area of metal above the main windows on the class 108.

• Informative/Useful 2