Why are there doors opening to the outside on the upper levels of this factory kit ?

I would guess because there are items to be stored in the warehouse that are too big to be brought up the stairs. There is usually a beam projecting above the centre of these doors, with some kind of crane or hoist to raise items from ground level to each floor. There is a square hole in the wall of the kit just about where I would expect that beam to be.

(Edit I found it surprisingly difficult to come up with a picture of the arrangement I described. Here’s the best I can do - the image on the left:

https://images.app.goo.gl/7DiVjZa9GV1yx7tx7  )

Edited by pH
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

This photo shows a warehouse which has been converted to flats, the doors replaced by glass and the "balcony " projection that housed the lifting equipment.  As PH says there should be a thick wooden beam,  a  wheel hanging beneath , for a rope or chain on that model

DSCF9547.jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, brian777999 said:

Thank you all for that information. Now I will have to find a suitable crane set up :)

I believe Langley sell their castings individually, some of their hooks and pulleys and some wooden beams/I channel steel should provide an adequate impression.

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, brian777999 said:

Thank you all for that information. Now I will have to find a suitable crane set up :)

Don't over complicate it, its just a beam with a pulley hanging from it and a rope.image.png.1602ed36d6fad58dd3c1e4515487fced.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

SFAI a "lucam" is the box/enclosure around the hoist, and around a landing, with flap-trap door in it.

Some industrial processes traditionally work by gravity, raw materials in at the top, finished product out at the bottom, notably brewing and milling, so its not uncommon to see traditional buildings with a door and hoist beam, or a full lucam, at the top for that reason; these are not warehouses.

I suspect that some kits get things a bit wrong, by using warehouse modules (doors all the way up), when a door/lucam at the top only would be more appropriate.

Hook Norton brewery seems to have a lucam  that keeps the load (grain) dry all the way from cart-back to an upper storey. (Photo Jasper K Commons licensed)

34E238E3-07D1-4E27-B058-289337F8E005.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

Such a design can often be found on buildings beside navigable rivers or canals where goods could be taken or delivered straight to the vessel below, probably first seen on mills where the need was to deliver the raw material to the top of the building where it would work its way down under gravity through the mill machinery, later on other buildings used it as a very efficient way of getting goods up and down the floors, when lifts became generally available you will find the buildings typically got rid of doors on each level

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheQ said:

This photo shows a warehouse which has been converted to flats, the doors replaced by glass and the "balcony " projection that housed the lifting equipment.  As PH says there should be a thick wooden beam,  a  wheel hanging beneath , for a rope or chain on that model

DSCF9547.jpg

They should have left the doors in place to get oversize sofas and flat screen TVs to the upper floors

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, brian777999 said:

Why are there doors on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th levels of this factory kit ?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/34885/metcalfe_po282_brick_built_warehouse_card_kit/stockdetail.aspx

Looking at the picture in that line, just above the top door is a black square, which would be where a beam of some form would have stuck out.  The outboard end of this would have been the point from items were hoisted or lowered.

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Goyt Mill at Marple has an interesting arrangement. The hoist on the left takes goods to and from the Macclesfield Canal to the road level or first floor. The one to the right is from road level to all floors above the ground level.

24494476311_c9496e7ed4_z.jpg

Old crane structure at Goyt Mill wharf by Dr Hilary Rhodes, on Flickr

• Like 8

This one has quite a large crane/hoist, presumably so it can swing out a long way:

Imagered.jpg.17a22037c621f30acd8f2ff839e09fa9.jpg

. . . . and it's quite straightforward to make one. This low-relief N/2mm building is entirely scratch-built and is based on the black and white photo above:

DSC_8116red.jpg.b6076a45c54a1a0298fa2ba65208d790.jpg

Edited by grahame
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8