A Broad Gauge Buffalo

• RMweb Gold

I had missed this thread. An unusual and interesting build, especially as it's a modification/rebuild of a kit - that always seems to make things harder (rather than easier), and so a nice challenge. Very cleverly solved and executed, I think.

Coupled up to Duncan's 3D printed stock this will look the business (but I'm getting ahead of myself, must summon a bit of perthyans).

• Agree 1

Having spent the summer doing other things, mostly in the shape of a Jaguar XJ-S, I have returned to the Buffalo project. I gave the boiler/saddle tank a coat of etch primer a couple of days ago. Last night I had a truly riveting evening with some Micro-Mark rivet transfers. 

8lyCpsQ.jpg
cWOuiKe.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Regularity said:

Is the worm wheel fixed with a grub screw? From the pattern of the hesitancy and the noise, it could be very slightly off centre because of this.

No, it’s a press fit. Or maybe it was a press fit and is now a locktite fit. Either way, no grub screw. I think the reduction ratio is too low, the motor isn’t turning fast enough at low speeds. I think the best course of action would be a different gearbox. 

I have found the source of the hesitation! It is, as I feared, the crank axle that is at fault. One of the solder joints on the crank has failed. Between the web and the pin on the right hand side. Probably not soldered well enough initially. Will need to disassemble, clean, and resolder it. It will be interesting to see if the 3d printed wheels can survive being removed and reinstalled on the axles or if I'll need to print another set.

XYTxRbG.jpg
xgGDRjd.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 months later...

I have constructed a new crank axle. It’s much sturdier and the mechanism runs well. I also replaced the gearbox. 54:1 is now 120:1 with the expected improvement in slow speed performance. 

spacer.png

I have reworked the brakes in a way that allows them to be installed or removed as a unit, an idea I borrowed from Will L. on the Scalefour forum. 

spacer.png

The handrails have been added, although not photographed. The final thing for this update, that I’m feeling rather pleased with, is the injector. I haven’t been able to find anything like it commercially, so I had to fabricate it. The first attempt was about 50% too big. This one looks about right though. I’m using some London Road castings for the bit that goes into the boiler up front. Just need to make the other side now…

spacer.png

Edited by garethashenden
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, drduncan said:

So now that there is a gap in your broad gauge workbench, what will be next - a scratch built SDR 4-4-0T? You surely won't be using the time you've gained on yet more LNWR junk stuff....

D

Sure! Why not? That can be the next broad gauge locomotive I build. I do have a lot on at the moment, so the realistic completion date might be 2075. Is that ok? 

• Funny 1