Uploaded Images where "Save Image As" output is presented as .WebP format

I've just come across uploaded images which when I try to save them are presented as .WebP format. As this is not true of other recent uploads on here I'm wondering why it's happening?

I've contacted the owner and he told me it was uploaded as a .jpg file albeit one modified in Affinity. Not sure that should make any difference.

Any Ideas?

551070796_Filesavedemo.JPG.6233867e6d230cac9fe7aba4555f52c2.JPG

Edited by BWsTrains

• BWsTrains changed the title to Uploaded Images where "Save Image As" output is presented as .WebP format
  • RMweb Gold

The "weppy" ( .webp ) image format is Google's "modern" image format intended to replace JPG and PNG images. It's been around for 10 years but seems to be gaining ground lately. If that is what an image downloads as, that's what it would have been uploaded as, whether the contributor intended it or not.

Weppy images are supported in all major browsers, and in graphics editors such as IrfanView, Affinity, GIMP, Paint, etc.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

You should be offered JPEG, amongst other formats, in the Save As dropdown menu.

Or am I missing the point?

Doesn't seem to work like that on Mac OS Catalina, sadly. Or at least not for me!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

You should be offered JPEG, amongst other formats, in the Save As dropdown menu.

When saving from your graphics editor and uploading, yes.

But not when downloading from RMweb. You will get only what the contributor uploaded.

The Weppy format has been working in all major browsers for years, so it shouldn't be a problem to view the images unless you are using a very old system. Editing them is more restricted to graphics editors such as Affinity and GIMP (Photoshop needs a plug-in), but editing can also be done in Paint.

But there of plenty of online converters which will convert them to jpg.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

When saving from your graphics editor and uploading, yes.

But not when downloading from RMweb. You will get only what the contributor uploaded.

The Weppy format has been working in all major browsers for years, so it shouldn't be a problem to view the images unless you are using a very old system. Editing them is more restricted to graphics editors such as Affinity and GIMP (Photoshop needs a plug-in), but editing can also be done in Paint.

But there of plenty of online converters which will convert them to jpg.

Martin.

That makes sense, thanks.

The "Save As Type" dropdown is a bit misleading but of course it's the standard Windows File Save dialog.

• RMweb Gold

p.s. Apparently weppy images have been supported in Safari on Apple devices only since September this year. That seems strange to me considering how long Google have been pushing it, but I don't use Apple devices so I wouldn't know.

If you are using Apple, you need the latest updates to see weppy images.

Martin.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, martin_wynne said:

If you are using Apple, you need the latest updates to see weppy images.

That could explain some of the queries I've had since the software update at this end too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/10/2020 at 08:47, martin_wynne said:

If that is what an image downloads as, that's what it would have been uploaded as, whether the contributor intended it or not.

Not necessarily. WebP is a smaller format both in terms of file size and memory footprint in a browser so an upload process might convert from JPG or PNG on the way through.

My problems are on a good old fashioned PC with similar era software. The contributor checked his uploads and they were .JPG files assembled together with the text outside RMWeb. These are his comments about the uploading process after assembly...

"..... I copy the post, including photos, and paste it into a new post in RMweb. The photos are automatically deleted and I then upload full size photos ( Gold privilege) into the appropriate slot in the post."

Andy, I'll PM you the details of the problem post / Images in case you want to explore them.

Today the member PM'd me the same images, presumably not deleted/ reloaded full size in this channel and these presented themselves as JPG files for me to save.

Colin