Metal nameplates to cover Hornby Class 50 printed ones

I've just got a Hornby 50026 Indomitable in original NSE livery, R3471.  I ordered the Fox Transfers metal nameplates, but they're not big enough to cover the printed ones.  I don't particularly want to remove the printed ones as the loco is weathered, so can anyone recommend nameplates that they know fully cover the printed ones please (Modelmaster, Shawplan, another option)?  

I have seen many mentions of the Hornby plates being too big.

I believe most, or all etched plate manufacturer's are also the correct size. From a manufacturer's point of view, it is a bit annoying to deliberately produce products which you know are wrong.

It may seem a bit daunting at first, but the printed plate can be carefully removed with T-cut on a cotton bud, then the new plate can be fixed in place. Mask up any grills because the T-Cut dries white & is difficult to remove from detail.

Take your time with it & you'll be ok.

I also did this on my Heljan 50149. I was a bit nervous about doing this on a £600 loco, especially as the plate fitted on the mid/light grey border. It was fine though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Replaced mine with Shawplan nameplates which are indeed smaller than the printed ones.  Reduced size of Hornby printed plates with blunt cocktail stick dipped in a little IPA which did not leave any shiny finish on the paintwork.  Then weathered lightly with Tamiya powder, as I do with all my stuff.

PICT0069 (3).JPG

PICT0071 (3).JPG

PICT0075 (2).JPG

PICT0008 (2).JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1