The Railways of Jamaica

rogerfarnworth

I have just finished reading a book about the railways of Jamaica which prompted a little research on-line. Jamaica still intends to reopen its railways system. ‘The Railways of Jamaica’, written by Jim Horsford. It is a Locomotives International publication, published by Paul Catchpole Ltd, St. Austel, Cornwall.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/10/08/the-railways-of-jamaica

Edited by rogerfarnworth

Some of us have even scratchbuilt a 1/24th scale model of a Jamaican railway station........

G264a.jpg.75a085aa4ba47a27c84139e592a2bce9.jpg

Unfortunately there aren't any photos of Ipswich station in the Horsford book (which I assume is the one referred to in the original post) but found a few online, together with some stills I captured from an old Channel 4 travel programme hosted by Marianne Faithful which visited the station for some strange reason ! (long after the trains had stopped running).

I even found some ancient newsreel film online, taken in 1913, which does feature the station briefly, albeit uncaptioned.

Some modellers licence has been applied to it, and the dimensions are all estimated!

Edited by Johann Marsbar
Updated info.
  • Like 1

just got hold of a copy of book by Jim Horsford,at less than £10 including postage.Fascinating railway system. With ex LMS coaches, a GE44 ,a USATC tank loco and some USA wagons it would not be that difficult to build a model in HO scale, possibly not dead scale,but certainly inspired by the railways. There is a partial drawing of the Metro-Cammell railcars introduced in the 60s,enough to do a model I think.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Another visit to the railways of Jamaica, courtesy, this time, of H.G. Forsythe in the September 1963 edition of the Railway Magazine. .....

https://rogerfarnworth.com/2021/05/28/the-railways-of-jamaica-again

I have been reading historic copies of the Railway Magazine again. This time it was a bound copy of the magazines from 1963. ........ I came across an article about the Railways of Jamaica in the September 1963 edition which was written by H. G. Forsythe.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

They started running trains for school students at the beginning of this week on some parts of the remaining lines. The intention seems to be to expand it to all classes of passengers later this year....

Plus, I just found this which covers one of the proving runs that operated last year......

Edited by Johann Marsbar
Extra info added
  • Like 5