Lima/Hornby Class 20 Drive Axle

rogirbu

I am working on restoring a Lima Class 20 - the one with the central can motor as used in the Hornby model. 

I have found that one of the gear teeth on one of the drive unit axles has been damaged, providing an audible click when running.

I thought to replace it with a Hornby X9846 but (inevitably) there seems to be none in stock anywhere.  I asked Hornby if they could suggest a substitute . No.  I know Ultrascale have a Lima Cl 20 conversion set but £20 seems alot just to repair one axle!

Any suggestions?

Roger

How crude are the wheels, I'm about to upgrade a couple of pre TOPS Lima cl 31's and didn't hesitate to order the Ultrascale wheel conversions. My club OO gauge layout runs finescale hand laid track so that was part of the reasoning,  as I'm putting time and effort with the cosmetics it only seemed logical do a proper job on the wheels and a motor/armature upgrade. I haven't looked properly (locos still in transit) but just assumed that old Lima flanges and code 75 don't mix, I would also assume the Ultrascales would make the loco appeal more if you chose to sell it on. 

• 2 weeks later...