Brading, Isle of Wight Transitional 1920s (Phase 1, building up stock)

TeakDB

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TeakDB said:

Thanks for that- any particular brands you'd recommend from experience?

I have some Birchwood Casey. Carr's also do a range of blackening solutions. This thread on rmweb is worth a look:

• Thanks 1

Todays progress on the lswr parcels van- added the roof and resized the spring hangers to the prototypical length which although fiddly I think improves the look massively (still have to fill in some of the gaps between the j-hangers and the springs.. Im still none the wiser how im going to model the skew brakes in a neat way and indeed the westinghouse aranagement underneath except the position of the cylinder so this one may sit at this stage for a little while. In the long run I could always wait until falcon brassworks is up and running and see how their kit approaches it.

20210303_162357.jpg.07e755bc6b182b66dd7b88c168b9e79e.jpg

Also as I cant resist starting more kits this is the start of the first roxey 30ft lswr brake van for the layout- so far going very easily although still puzzling over how the rocking motion of the end compensation unit is going to work. With these two vans, the remaining 5 lbsc ballast wagons amd the o2 conversion I think thats my workbench full for now. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Teak.

Very quiet of late.

I hope you have bought a copy of the latest issue of BRM (May).

There is an article by Clive Baker called Historical Lines South of the Solent.

Lots of general information about the island railways and a good selection of photographs. 

There is then a suggestion for building Brading Station, with more plans and drawings, plus some more good photos.

I thought that would interest you.

All the best

Ray

P.S. If Pete is reading this, our bus trip to the island in October is now back on, so we may see you again this year.

• Like 4

@wainwright1 yes unfortunately work comes in heavy when it does. Hope you are still doing well.

20210426_230531.jpg.f29c8e39e3110a6e29d0be90990bb33d.jpg

Got the last 5 ballast wagons to this stage today- hope to get them built tomorrow and maybe painted by the end of the week. Three of these five will be painted in very very faded LBSCR livery as southern wagons says some lived out their days in that livery and I havent found anywhere that contradicts that as a possibililty.

On other fronts I have been watching Wokos 3d printing thread where some isle of wight wagons are rearing their head such as the FYNR covered goods. They are massively beating me on producing 3d models and am looking forward to them getting back to printing.

On the subject of the FYNR I was wondering if anyone with their maycock volume to hand could enlighten me as too wether their ex iwcr ex lbsc brake van made it into 1927- I dont think I could resist running it with the lbsc ballast wagon rake if so even though I think it unlikely they ever did.

After the Ballast rake I have splasher transfers for the kernow O2 and the lswr brakes to continue on with. Turns out I was supplied with the wrong w iron/axlebox castings for the latter which is what stalled me before so should now hopefuly fall into place.

The FYN goods brake probably went in 1927, it was grounded at a location with other vehicles withdrawn at this time.  The IWC (ex Midland) brake was rebuilt with a second balcony for ballast work, this would be the most likely van used.  At Brading you can justify pretty much anything, much of the older stock being withdrawn at this time was worked to St Helens Quay for breaking up, potentially some interesting trains reversing here.

Pete

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IWCR said:

The FYN goods brake probably went in 1927, it was grounded at a location with other vehicles withdrawn at this time.  The IWC (ex Midland) brake was rebuilt with a second balcony for ballast work, this would be the most likely van used.  At Brading you can justify pretty much anything, much of the older stock being withdrawn at this time was worked to St Helens Quay for breaking up, potentially some interesting trains reversing here.

Pete

Thanks for the insight, shame about the FYNR brake. Regardng the ex MR brake it was rebuilt in 1930 so I think my most likely pairing will be the unrebuilt version or a transhipment van when I eventually get round to making one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Teak.

I thought you might be interested in the latest issue of Model Rail arrived today, due in the shops on Thursday.

It has an article on Ryde St Johns Station with plans for possible layouts. This is set in the more modern era, with no steam loco depot, so would suit the standard or 1938 Underground stock.

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies @wainwright1, Ive got the two issues with the isle of wight and Brading and think theyre good plans for a scaled down version. 

Finally had a day to do some more hobby, unfortuantly havent planned ahead so run out fo some transfers to finish off all the ballast wagons.20210518_161259.jpg.53afb50906542d1ffc1e65ace2442fec.jpg

Also I am now in the process of moving house so the layout side will continue to be neglected however I am going to build the Brading goods shed over the next few days as seen here in the early 30s before additions were made- this will serve as a nice backdroup for a little bit of a diarama/photo backdrop for the medium term.

LS64579.jpg.e33aa6fd62bde16c9f56285830febecf.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Photo-less update today. My transfers for the lbscr liveried ballast wagons has been delayed but will hopefully arrive next week so I can weather the last 5 and complete the rake. In the meantime I have cracked back on with the roxey 6 wheel full brake after I received the correct spring's/axlebox's- I have now completed the underframe bar the batteryboxes/dynamos as I have stupidly packed some of my reference books in a self storage and will have to go retreive them in order to decifer IOW westinghouse brake and electric retrofit arrangements. 

I will continue with a bit of the body tomorrow but have a busy few weeks ahead. My plans to make a photoplank were also nixed by me leaving the building material, track, ballast ect in the storage unit so we'll see if I can find them when I go back for the books, however since I have broken my phone camera i'll also have to decide an alternate method of taking photos.

Hi Teak.

Just picked up a new Isle of Wight book today.

'Locomotives of the Isle of Wight Railways.'

Authors: TP Cooper, JCH Faulkner, RJ Maycock & RA Silsbury.

Publisher: Crecy.co.uk.

Price: £25.

An excellent book covering all the locomotives used on the island, including the Pier Tramway, departmental and industrial diesels and the underground stock. Good coverage of the early period, and lots of pictures including some colourised ones which look good and some which I have not seen before.

Very useful and well worth the investment.

All the best

Ray

6 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Teak.

Just picked up a new Isle of Wight book today.

'Locomotives of the Isle of Wight Railways.'

Authors: TP Cooper, JCH Faulkner, RJ Maycock & RA Silsbury.

Publisher: Crecy.co.uk.

Price: £25.

An excellent book covering all the locomotives used on the island, including the Pier Tramway, departmental and industrial diesels and the underground stock. Good coverage of the early period, and lots of pictures including some colourised ones which look good and some which I have not seen before.

Very useful and well worth the investment.

All the best

Ray

Cheers Ray, I've been looking at it for a while now, hopefully im headed to the Island in August so I'll try and pick one up when i'm around. I think the Livery painting dates for the IWR beyer peacocks and the first urie-esque southern green will be most useful to have in one place rather than scattered across half a dozen books (especially as I never write these things down so I have to keep looking back), as I do hope to have a beyer peacock in each livery at some point and several projects in the future.

,David

• 3 months later...

Meanwhile back on the sleepy Isle of Wight........

Hi David,

I hope that everything is ok.

If all goes to plan we should be over on the island next weekend. Apparently there is an event on called Vectic Bus 100, which sounds interesting and we will be visiting the bus museum on the Saturday. Then on to the steam railway on Sunday to see what progress has been made since last year on the coaches. I hope that Pete is reading this, so we will see him again at the workshop.

One of my club colleagues advised me that someone was working on 3d printed kits for the Oldbury coaches, so I am hoping to invest in a few of those for a small period display. I have an old un-built kit from Golden Arrow for one of the Beyer Peacock 2-4-0's, but am not sure if it is for an IWCR or IWR one. Will have to dig it out.

Hope that your house move went o.k. Not sure where you were moving to ?

Look forward to hearing from you.

All the best

Ray

• 2 months later...
On 02/10/2021 at 12:19, wainwright1 said:

Meanwhile back on the sleepy Isle of Wight........

Hi David,

I hope that everything is ok.

If all goes to plan we should be over on the island next weekend. Apparently there is an event on called Vectic Bus 100, which sounds interesting and we will be visiting the bus museum on the Saturday. Then on to the steam railway on Sunday to see what progress has been made since last year on the coaches. I hope that Pete is reading this, so we will see him again at the workshop.

One of my club colleagues advised me that someone was working on 3d printed kits for the Oldbury coaches, so I am hoping to invest in a few of those for a small period display. I have an old un-built kit from Golden Arrow for one of the Beyer Peacock 2-4-0's, but am not sure if it is for an IWCR or IWR one. Will have to dig it out.

Hope that your house move went o.k. Not sure where you were moving to ?

Look forward to hearing from you.

All the best

Ray

Hi Ray, all good my end just busy although I now have a month or so to make some progress again, hope you are well.

Yes I'm tracking Vectis' models Oldbury coaches aswell which fingers crossed will be available spring 2022, I've already contacted him with interest for a rake! The golden Arrow models are all for IWR versions and will marry up perfectly with some oldburys-  getting one built is certainly high on my to do list now.

Apologies for the long break but it is the nature of my job. This is what I've had a few days working on;

Got the first roxey LSWR PBV to the painting stage- I am awaiting some angled lamp irons to glue on but will start on the paintwork in the meantime. Had some fun discerning what the undercarriage would look like and settled on a pair of battery boxes and a dynamo as per a photo in weddell's pre 1900 lswr carriage book.

IMG_20211211_141652.jpg.e8354fe8ebf79f4484a96e8cc1af27ad.jpg

Secondly and following my new policy of having one new project and one lapsed project at the same tile I have finally finished the abs lbscr bolster wagons. I ended up updating the running gear with 5&9 axleboxes and Ian Macormack W-irons.

IMG_20211211_184728.jpg.9416957e1a581b59d1cb78b68dd21556.jpg

Lastly these were taken on my new photoboard I made up which I am using as a trial for a few techniques for bradings eventual construction- I'll go into it a bit more when I've finished it off. Sadly I've misplaced my camera for the moment so apologies for the photo quality.

Will be stuck lining the pbv for a while but my next pair of projects will be very ex-lbscr based.....

Hope all following this are still well.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So my next pair of projects to complete alongside lining out the first luggage van (more to come on that soon) are to finish the LBSC dumb buffered wagon rake and then for a quickish project the FYNR brake van.

Heres the six i've apainted in SR Engineers livery;

DSC00013.jpg.a5348247a9cbc0620b5c3d6198f98f5a.jpg

And the three in original LBSC- the ballast markings are from the earliest days of their life and certaintly would not still have been around in the 1927 but I thought it was a bit of fun. I realised as I set about to put the couplings on I dont have enough links for the three links couplings so in the new year I will order some from brassmasters. I will also think about making up ballast loads for them when I find some appropriate sand to use as ballast on the whole layout-to-be.

DSC00016.jpg.201f80b1fb8ad92e2559dcca4ee6b9c9.jpg

So a bit of a cheat as theres still jobs to do on them but theyre 90% there.

• Like 6

• TeakDB changed the title to Brading, Isle of Wight Transitional 1920s (Phase 1, building up stock)

Hope all have had a good festive period. Got a few bits on the worktop at the moment for which im awaiting bits from wizard models before I can finish them ready for painting so I thought id update this with a few ramblings.

First up is the FYNR Brake van which did not turn out to be the quick build I was hoping. This kit has a few pitfalls for those of us who dont plan ahead well with our kitbuilding- mainly some of the castings are poor fits and some of the handrail holes/ door hinges are in the wrong place, if you are building this yourself i'd recommend looking at an as built example in the LBSC modellers digest no 11. and plan ahead rather than working sequentially through the instructions (happy to provide more details of my build experience if anyone wants it). I am waiting for keeperplates before finishing off the below solebar details, this is where most of the detail differences are compared to its 'as built' condition.

DSC00019.JPG.b5dbdf9f3e203173f1292ef7ecad11a7.JPG

I've attached the only good photo I can find of the brake van as it confirms some of the drawing in Vol 2 of southern wagons but also disputes other bits (most prominently the lower footboard not beig full length)- highlighting the importance of a good photo! My other two sticking points are that there are no coupling plates included and I am unsure if a stove pipe needs to be fitted in the roof, this and the other more distant photo at freshwater seem to suggest it didnt retain one but the angles arnt great to be certain of it).

730276779_Image(38).jpg.9a958b43cc0376807cc770d2aa6bbe37.jpg

I thought id also provide a potted history of the van for those who want a bit of background. The Stroudley 7 Ton road vans were built in the 1870s-80s and 167 made it to grouping, although almost all left revenue traffic by 1924. In 1902 the IWCR bought 3 of these Stroudley brakes and at some point used two of them as the base to build their own transhipment vans on top. The third was sold to the FYNR in 1913 when it undertook to run its own line. It was repainted into the FYNR livery of grey with white lettering. Although it was allocated an SR number it was withdrawn in 1926 before this was likely to be carried. This is a bit of a bummer as I had hoped I could of paired it with the LBSC ballast train but they wern't sent to the island untill 27 so I think my excuse to have it at Brading will have to be a smaller permanent way train.

Edited by TeakDB
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Have been progressing on a few wagons the last few days, the FYNR Brake is receiving its first few coats of light grey now and will hopefully be finished in another day or two. Behind it is my earlier IWR/ratio bodge which is being repainted into a SR scheme and in the foreground is a IWR dumb buffered wagon, from a kit by 5&9 models with added strapping ect.

DSC00029.JPG.3103efd9bea3fca3df13f8c8798e97fc.JPG

And here it is below from a well known photo. The one trouble im having with it at the moment is choosing a brown paint that I feel 'looks the part' I dont think we'll ever know the exact shade as the authorities on the matter either quote it as 'brown', 'chocolate brown' or 'red oxide'. I tried humbrol 98 and 186 but neither ended up looking anything like the colours on the website/label so I will buy a few more tinlets when I next get the chance and find a shade im happy with.

467624961_Image(350.jpg.492a23435cc31ad3a2f22faa80d80ec5.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

And they are (as usual 95%) finished! Took a while as I decided to come down with glandular fever but am recovered now. DSC00033.JPG.c265984369f57c258f98a0db2641db4d.JPG

My spray can of humbrol varnish decided to clog up unfortuantly so im going to have to order another can before I can seal the weathering powders ect in, after that i'll glue'n'glaze the windows on the brake.

In the end I decided that tamiya hull red gives a pleasant enough brown and matches up rather well with the snippets of description for iow wagons- this is meant to be a model of the wagon in the previous post.

Now Ive got the two below bits to finish off before I can contemplate moving onto something else (either a beyer peacock or a suprise pair of coaches).

DSC00039.JPG.de5126370b73e3d0d930bc5c2bbe412c.JPG

The left is about 75% of an iwcr ex-ger (and im sure ex somewhere else before that) covered goods and the right is the current progress on lining the lswr full brake. As is the case with all the roofs in this post at the moment this is just plopped on.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I have only found this thread today and found it very interesting. I have loved the island railways ever since visiting on a school holiday during the last year of steam. Some excellent modelling with lots of interesting information. I look forward to seeing the layout once you are able to exhibit it.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2022 at 00:17, Chris116 said:

I have only found this thread today and found it very interesting. I have loved the island railways ever since visiting on a school holiday during the last year of steam. Some excellent modelling with lots of interesting information. I look forward to seeing the layout once you are able to exhibit it.

Thank you for the comment chris, my affair is somewhat younger as ive only known heritage steam on the island but the mix of pregrouping stock on the island, especially in the 20s has really appealled to me. Speaking of which...

Today I finished off the IWCR ex-GER van, although am sure there must be a better way to weather black; all I did here was a very light soot weathering powder to highlight detail.

DSC00013.JPG.d7668b37ab101c8c6edf611b46bf7435.JPG

Roughly two dozen of these vans were purchased by the IWCR from 1904- 1909 and are ex GER in origin although I must confess I havent found the original GER vehicle. This model used a NER 8 Ton van from 51L as the base as the dimensions matched, as did the prominent crossbracing. The biggest alteration was in-setting the ends to create the recessed panelling but there was a lot of filling off of details and additions of etched parts from mainly trains to provide the correct ironwork and new w-irons, axleboxes ect. This can all be a bit more clearly seen in this post primer photo. The Lettering above I took directly from the drawing is Southern Wagons vol2 and slicing each of the letter transfers in half to fit around the tie rods was foruantely fairly easy.

DSC00006.JPG

I went for the Black livery of the Wilmott years (1911+) although it is said that by grouping there was still many IWCR wagons in the previous grey with small lettering- I have an ex GCR dia13 van from mousa models that will be painted in this scheme (shown in pg158 of the FYNR book by Maycock and Silsbury).

iwcr2.png.57eeb9472f28d45c29fd6f8d61040545.png

Some of these vans ran untill 1929/1930 in IWCR black or SR Brown. The Picture above shows a few arriving in 1906- the van at the back which seems to be the same design but insulated with use of a second wall is currently undergoing restoration at the IWSR as detailed below. When they get a bit further along I may also kitbash one- I just hope they too finish it in IWCR livery, although SR is understandable.

https://fb.watch/aY2jo4auUo/ (Link to IWSR Works facebook page detailing the above IWCR wagon)

Edited by TeakDB
  • Like 4

Just a few 'group' photos today. I have started on the gear box and frames for my first Golden Arrow Beyer Peacock and will detail the build here as no one else has yet in much detail, hopefully I dont make too much of a pigs ear of my first loco model but watching the videos of the loco builder on youtube has really cleared things up for me.

DSC00022.JPG.3f7485cacc50236522f67816d4d119df.JPG

DSC00024.JPG.85ad9ee5c3ee592ab0fbe985e3719740.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Well, ive finally started the Beyer Peacock and made some good progress which I will detail below, but first a misadventure.

I had to wait a few extra days for some cutting broaches to arrive in order to ream out the bearing holes in the frames. During this time I started on a few cattlewagons (which will be returned to after this is finished) but also thought I'd solder up a D&S GER 4 wheeler as a quick project. I finished the underframe before I realised i'd made a slight mistake and got the version of the Dia149 kit without recessed eaves (no mouldings above the windows) rather than the version with. As D&S kits arn't easy to come across (I still only have three LCDR 6 wheelers after a year and a half of looking) I have now had to consign this kit to a dark corner and hope I come across the hens tooth that is the Dia149 3b kit so I can swap out the underframe frets and sell on the current kit.....

For those who are interested this kit would represent perfectly an ex IWCR GER 3rd which seems to have often been the spare coach for the Brading branch in the early 20s (ie right up my alley!). But I digress...

Beyer Peacock Part 1- A rolling chassis.

I decided to make my first model as Wroxall in early Southern livery. In addition to the Golden Arrow Kit I bought wheels ect from Scale Link, a Roadrunner+ gearbox from highlevel and have a choice of motor between a high level one and a cheapo mitsumi motor. 

DSC00031.JPG.d3d6c52bb0205607d59d8902da253bae.JPG

This is the current state of play (body structure in the rear is just posed not soldered together yet), after around 5 hours of messing around. I soldered up the frames using a poppys assembly jig and got it square and running smooth fairly stress free. As this is my first locomotive I am following the instructions as best as I can and having a head scratch whenever anythings not obvious. I have built the chassis rigid as i'm not messing around with compensation and have seen plenty of these built rigid by Mark Pretious on his facebook group 'Merstone, St Lawrence, Ventnor West and Bembridge 00 Finescale Layouts'. I soldered in two spacers, one between the two driving wheels as suggested to mount the pickup pad on and the second just back from the front wheel so I can gently spring it with a wire pressing down on the axle.

So far my observations are a) the most recent Silsbury book on the Locomotives of the Isle of Wight is very useful as it helped me locate the Cylinder covers and brake reservoir on the frames accurately, the latter has a pre cut locating groove but actually sat further back in reality. b) The hole for the front axle needed slight extension vertically to allow a bit more wiggle room for the front wheels to keep contact with the track c) The front section of the footplate needs to sit as far forward as the precut slots allow in order to get the tank sides to sit where theyre meant to and to allow the gearbox to sit as far forward as possible.

DSC00036.JPG.87b57fd441b6422b4a2d757d231bf910.JPG

I probably should of left the frames in grey primer to take photos but I will show off more of the detail without the footplates when I finish the brake assembly ect- ive just mounted this so far to judge clearance for the gearbox and motor. Im fairly sure I can fit the mitsumi in here without loss of cab detail but since I have the highlevel motor I will use it for this one and the mitsumis can be saved for the next couple. I'll try and fit the motor and the brake details as well as the pickups before next week.

On another completely different note, I have received, with an incredibly fast turn around of two days, a few sheets of IWR garter transfers from John at Precision Decals. Matt Wickham of Vectis 3D design got these designed for his upcoming Oldbury Carriages and I thought itd be rude not to order enough for a rake of them and metropolitan stock, I asked for no numbers in the garters as I think I can get away using SECR numerals from fox transfers to save John the bother of setting up 15 odd different numbers. I will report back if Ive got my meausurements right for this plan.

DSC00033.JPG.35f650ef75ca42623a0afc3f7c59801e.JPG

• Like 2