Brading, Isle of Wight 1926-1931 (workbench and layout)

7 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

Despite its name, 'gun metal blue' is what you need for blackening most metals. Does not work well on solder though.

Thanks for that- any particular brands you'd recommend from experience?

3 hours ago, TeakDB said:

Thanks for that- any particular brands you'd recommend from experience?

I have some Birchwood Casey. Carr's also do a range of blackening solutions. This thread on rmweb is worth a look:

• Thanks 1

Todays progress on the lswr parcels van- added the roof and resized the spring hangers to the prototypical length which although fiddly I think improves the look massively (still have to fill in some of the gaps between the j-hangers and the springs.. Im still none the wiser how im going to model the skew brakes in a neat way and indeed the westinghouse aranagement underneath except the position of the cylinder so this one may sit at this stage for a little while. In the long run I could always wait until falcon brassworks is up and running and see how their kit approaches it.

20210303_162357.jpg.07e755bc6b182b66dd7b88c168b9e79e.jpg

Also as I cant resist starting more kits this is the start of the first roxey 30ft lswr brake van for the layout- so far going very easily although still puzzling over how the rocking motion of the end compensation unit is going to work. With these two vans, the remaining 5 lbsc ballast wagons amd the o2 conversion I think thats my workbench full for now. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi Teak.

Very quiet of late.

I hope you have bought a copy of the latest issue of BRM (May).

There is an article by Clive Baker called Historical Lines South of the Solent.

Lots of general information about the island railways and a good selection of photographs. 

There is then a suggestion for building Brading Station, with more plans and drawings, plus some more good photos.

I thought that would interest you.

All the best

Ray

P.S. If Pete is reading this, our bus trip to the island in October is now back on, so we may see you again this year.

• Like 4

@wainwright1 yes unfortunately work comes in heavy when it does. Hope you are still doing well.

20210426_230531.jpg.f29c8e39e3110a6e29d0be90990bb33d.jpg

Got the last 5 ballast wagons to this stage today- hope to get them built tomorrow and maybe painted by the end of the week. Three of these five will be painted in very very faded LBSCR livery as southern wagons says some lived out their days in that livery and I havent found anywhere that contradicts that as a possibililty.

On other fronts I have been watching Wokos 3d printing thread where some isle of wight wagons are rearing their head such as the FYNR covered goods. They are massively beating me on producing 3d models and am looking forward to them getting back to printing.

On the subject of the FYNR I was wondering if anyone with their maycock volume to hand could enlighten me as too wether their ex iwcr ex lbsc brake van made it into 1927- I dont think I could resist running it with the lbsc ballast wagon rake if so even though I think it unlikely they ever did.

After the Ballast rake I have splasher transfers for the kernow O2 and the lswr brakes to continue on with. Turns out I was supplied with the wrong w iron/axlebox castings for the latter which is what stalled me before so should now hopefuly fall into place.

The FYN goods brake probably went in 1927, it was grounded at a location with other vehicles withdrawn at this time.  The IWC (ex Midland) brake was rebuilt with a second balcony for ballast work, this would be the most likely van used.  At Brading you can justify pretty much anything, much of the older stock being withdrawn at this time was worked to St Helens Quay for breaking up, potentially some interesting trains reversing here.

Pete

• Like 2
5 hours ago, IWCR said:

The FYN goods brake probably went in 1927, it was grounded at a location with other vehicles withdrawn at this time.  The IWC (ex Midland) brake was rebuilt with a second balcony for ballast work, this would be the most likely van used.  At Brading you can justify pretty much anything, much of the older stock being withdrawn at this time was worked to St Helens Quay for breaking up, potentially some interesting trains reversing here.

Pete

Thanks for the insight, shame about the FYNR brake. Regardng the ex MR brake it was rebuilt in 1930 so I think my most likely pairing will be the unrebuilt version or a transhipment van when I eventually get round to making one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Teak.

I thought you might be interested in the latest issue of Model Rail arrived today, due in the shops on Thursday.

It has an article on Ryde St Johns Station with plans for possible layouts. This is set in the more modern era, with no steam loco depot, so would suit the standard or 1938 Underground stock.

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies @wainwright1, Ive got the two issues with the isle of wight and Brading and think theyre good plans for a scaled down version. 

Finally had a day to do some more hobby, unfortuantly havent planned ahead so run out fo some transfers to finish off all the ballast wagons.20210518_161259.jpg.53afb50906542d1ffc1e65ace2442fec.jpg

Also I am now in the process of moving house so the layout side will continue to be neglected however I am going to build the Brading goods shed over the next few days as seen here in the early 30s before additions were made- this will serve as a nice backdroup for a little bit of a diarama/photo backdrop for the medium term.

LS64579.jpg.e33aa6fd62bde16c9f56285830febecf.jpg

• Like 1