New Micro layout project

Zeus

Hi all, i've got the bug again! i dug out my 4'2 board from a failed project and im thinking about what to do with it, my thoughts as it stands are a small H0 switching layout for a continous run N scale layout all control will be dcc, my main question is how long are N scale locomotives, is it realistic to get a continuous run in such a small scale. 
Thanks 
Joe

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

a 4x2 in N is similar to the cliché 4 by 8 HO oval layout. It can be done but the play value vanishes fairly quickly. Why not a more intensive N switching layout?  

39 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

My only suggestion then is to see if you can stretch the baseboard a bit. Seriously, the 2 by 4 roundy will bore you to bits very quickly. 

I disagree. If the plan is very well designed, to accomplish what the owner wants, it will hold interest ok.

My O Scale layout at 17' x 8' is only a tad longer in comparitive terms to the 'Sacred Sheet', and has a grand total of 5 turnouts on it. Maybe the size makes a difference and the fact I'm inside the layout, but an operating session just switching the 3 spurs - loadeds in and empties out - can take up to an hour or more. Meanwhile something else can make up the miles on the High Iron.

This rough trackplan is all I have drawings-wise, and it was modified from my original by Jack/"Jamo" of this Parish, who 'added' hidden staging'. On my layout the main line is not hidden under the spurs, it just passes in front as a single line.

532228863_portwaylofttrackplan.jpg.5f6caba31f686264b60dc54afe920826.jpg

It might look boring and too simple on paper, but as Sir Lance Mindheim (may his Disciples prosper) has said - Operating Potential of a layout depends on the amount of car spots, not on a complicated trackplan.

Another plan for 8 x 4 in HO that I always wanted to do, was one by the Model Railroader team way back in 1994 or so. The fact it was called "Soo Line Red Wing Division" may have influenced me :whistle:  but it was still a plan with switching potential and roundy-roundy at the same time. It was featured in "Small Railroads You Can Build". Google threw up these - 

The original track plan.

Red-Wing.jpg.910c05f958a026721a9a0baf8729e587.jpg

And someone else's version; I think this might even be in N Scale.

gateway-central-2.jpg.6a3069e9e557bbbd3b1edb3e414a9276.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Not a term I'm familiar with; what are you describing?

Sorry for the late response!
a small locomotive staging facility maybe one two tracks and a shed
im more leaning towards a smaller H0 switching layout now as ive got spare track and a few stock items i can transfer between layouts
Thanks
Joe

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Ah, engine terminals. Dunno about the Class 1 railroads, they will have big facilities, but Short Lines & Regionals will have more modest arrangements of the sort you're thinking of.

Sometimes it’s called a piece of track...

• Like 1

Dear RMwebbers,

I'd suggest a well designed 4x2 in N, (or even HOn30) can certainly hold build, scenic, and operational interest.
For consideration:

Broughton Vale Tramway (HOn30, but easily converted to N)
http://members.optushome.com.au/jdennis/broughton/frameset.html

Cripple Creek Central (the MR project layout which inspired BVT above)
NOTE! While it's a "roundy roundy", the operational schematic shown illustrates how to conceptually operate it as a "interchange to End-of-Track" shortline...
reccomend checking out Kalmbach's "A HO Layout you can Build", which is a compendium of the "project layout articles" as originally published in MR...
...Yes it's HO, but should scale-down in N to something arund 4x2...
...perfect for a B'mann S-series switcher, an early GP, or a LL SW1200 switcher...).
73c0117ed169993beeb7c51e99ecfedd.jpg

Mike Kieran's "Port Able" lines, see attached Schematic and Trackplan images...
(a significant search failed to turn up any of Mike's old threads on Big Blue, RMWeb, or MRH, Utmost respect to Mike, wherever he is.... )

The layout could be resized down for N, and then expanded as available, but the core is similar to CCC above. IE a "loop" which is conceptually "unwrapped" into a P2P Interchange <> EoT shortline, with "viewblocked" "break of loop" at the "loop point"....
...works particulary well with a Ballard Terminal/Meeker Southern "park the loco and caboose on the main" technique typical of Class 3 shortlines...8023849932_9292af347b_o.jpg

7899900648_59b646cc0a_o.jpg

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Edited by Prof Klyzlr
  • Like 2

image1.jpg

i got some track and boxcars out to lay out a trackplan, based loosely on selah fruit row just reversed, where the gp15 is will be the fiddle yard with the track infront being the siding for this 
image.png.4c8140947d47aa69a217e9f7f3716160.png

im not sure what industry will serve the front left and rear left tracks yet.

aswell as this how long is a walthers GP9?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/10/2020 at 19:10, Zeus said:

where would one buy  H0 scale american outline buildings? in the uk preferably

Mech Models or Model Junction if they are still open. I think Gaugemaster are a Walthers dealer as well.

So, no direct experience with Bachmann US, but they can't be covered with a blanket statement.

In general even Bachmann US stuff should run reasonably well - for example your GP38-2 in the Bachmann catalog says it is all-wheel drive like (almost?) all Bachmann diesels.  It may not be quite as smooth as a high end model, but it should run quite well.

And Bachmann's US steam locos are quite popular even among serious modellers.

Where Bachmann US differs from say Bachmann UK, or the Athearn/Rapido/ScaleTrains, is in the accuracy of the shell, the added detail parts, and the roadname specific stuff.  But if one doesn't care about those things or are simply working to a budget then Bachmann should be fine.