New Micro layout project

Zeus

I once had a Bachman GP40, it wasn't that good a runner to be honest. The trucks were pivoted from a screw fixing high up inside the frames, so the whole body wobbled as it moved along, and there wasn't much could be done about it.

Go for Atlas Trainman Geeps - cheaper than the 'Master' range but it only really shows in slightly cruder handrails & no seperate details like grab irons. They run as good as Kato.

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

I once had a Bachman GP40, it wasn't that good a runner to be honest. The trucks were pivoted from a screw fixing high up inside the frames, so the whole body wobbled as it moved along, and there wasn't much could be done about it.

Go for Atlas Trainman Geeps - cheaper than the 'Master' range but it only really shows in slightly cruder handrails & no seperate details like grab irons. They run as good as Kato.

What about the athern jeeps, ive found some very nicely priced ones on the ellis clark website

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Zeus said:

What about the athern jeeps, ive found some very nicely priced ones on the ellis clark website

There are many types of Athearn GPs from Bluebox upwards....I've had one or two issues with their early Genesis sound locos..

Although I've sold all but two of my HO locos now, I've had half a dozen or so second-hand Bachmann Geeps - quite early ones, possibly 1990s, all bought for £26 or less, to which I fitted DCC and LEDs. With one exception they all ran very smoothly, the exception being a GP50 that jerked a bit when setting off but was otherwise fine. The two Bachmanns I have left are both Alcos from the Sound Value range, an S4 and an RS-3, both fine runners.

The only American loco I've been a bit disappointed with was my most expensive, an Athearn Genesis MP15AC, not because of the running but because of the rather weedy sound and a front light which was out of position.

Edited by rodshaw

track cutters and a second point should arrive tonight!

Apart from that im still thinking about operations 

23 hours ago, Zeus said:

ive already been fishing thru the contikits website, but ill have a look at anoraks annonymus 

Dear RMWebbers,

The only American loco I've been a bit disappointed with was my most expensive, an Athearn Genesis MP15AC, not because of the running but because of the rather weedy sound and a front light which was out of position.

Ah, that's be first-production-run with the MRC sound decoder (Ugh!),...

thankfully Ath wised-up and later releases were factory equipped with SoundTraxx sound decoders,
and are made even better with the addition of ScaleSoundSystems drop-in speakers...
https://www.scalesoundsystems.com/product-page/athearn-genesis-mp15

As for the "lights out of position", Ath had a bee in it' bonnet about using 12V bolbs which were obviously too-small for the headlight castings for some time. Why? Dunno...
...but as they tended to die relatively frequently, modellers replaced them with LEDs and did "the needful" to make the LEDs fit properly,
(again, ScaleSoundSystems is you friend here https://www.scalesoundsystems.com/led-conversions )

and recent (2019-ish onwards) Ath Genesis and RTR models seem to have graduated to factory-installed LEDs...

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi All,

I'm always keen to follow along with anything "American" so am enjoying this, thanks, Zeus!

If I may add to Prof Klyzlrs' comments above, I understand that a fairly common problem with some Genesis units was due to press fit pick-ups running from the truck to the main circuit board - solder these firmly and a lot of problems go away.

This is different and separate to the weedy MRC sound decoder (ugh indeed!) problem of course.

Cheers,

John.

Hmm ive appeared to hit a bout of moddlers block, i want something that isnt an inglenook but is a puzzle to shunt but i cant see to think of anything, ive got 4' of space so i should get something interesting. ideas or creative inspiration very welcome

Maybe something like this plan of my previous layout (HO scale, 4ft long). It was great for switching, though it did need a fiddle yard and an extra 4in. on the bottom left spur to switch the engineers effectively:

577403778_Yorkfordtrackplan.png.71120ba3d39c8ee237ddab48455925b4.png

• Like 5

ive been vainly holding onto the hope i can fit the entire layout on one board but that doesnt seem likely :(
alas that will cost more in wood for the fiddle stick, i guess the extra space is incredibly liberating as i can fit more operational interest in.

Thanks

Joe

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Zeus said:

ive been vainly holding onto the hope i can fit the entire layout on one board but that doesnt seem likely :(
alas that will cost more in wood for the fiddle stick, i guess the extra space is incredibly liberating as i can fit more operational interest in.

Thanks

Joe

Joe - the stick can be very basic - just wide enough for a switching lead. This is my Dock Street layout with my small off-scene track at left.

46896502751_2b513819b1_z.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A new arrival courtesy of Sophie at anoraks, a brand new gp9 with sound! i need to run it in but the Bingham club is closed again because of the pandemic :( i was also considering joining the Nottingham club as apparently they have a north American section but the pandemic also saw that idea collapse in on itself. image0.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Zeus said:

twinsies!, gp9 phase 2s are an ugly duckling but they are really nice locos, especially for £110 sound fitted!

You got a good deal!....cracking layout by the way...

Edited by Gilbert

On 28/10/2020 at 12:50, Zeus said:

i was also considering joining the Nottingham club as apparently they have a north American section but the pandemic also saw that idea collapse in on itself. image0.jpg

We do have a few North American modellers, we’re closed at the moment due to Tier3/ lockdown but we meet on Tuesdays from around 7.30pm, earlier if members’ shift patterns allow.

On 02/11/2020 at 15:49, doctor quinn said:

We do have a few North American modellers, we’re closed at the moment due to Tier3/ lockdown but we meet on Tuesdays from around 7.30pm, earlier if members’ shift patterns allow.

Maybe it's time to consider a new club North American project?

Edited by 298
  • Like 1

On 02/11/2020 at 15:49, doctor quinn said:

hopefully when lockdown eventually lifts i can make it down to the notts club as it unfortunatly looks like the bingham club is going under, my project keeps stalling because im worried ill mess up and break something

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I live!

After a long break from moddeling while i finish my A Levels i have found my mojo again. Im looking to model NP just before the BN Merger 1968-69 mainly because ive already got a northern pacific S-4 and also just preodered an rs-3 (bowser) in NP an rs-11 in NP/BN patching and a u25b in GN both from rapido. I think ive managed to wrangle about 6=7ft of space with The first board has been built and plenty of inspiration has been collated from various sources.

Any book reccomendations that follow the prototype would be incredible helpful as i dont know much about american railroads especially in this timeperiod.

Thanks

Joe 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zeus said:

Any book reccomendations that follow the prototype would be incredible helpful as i dont know much about american railroads especially in this timeperiod.

Thanks

Joe 

Depends where you want to model and what traffic/types of cars you like. I can envisage either a logging/wood processing branch line either in the Mountains of Washington or Montana, or grain from the flatter prairies.