We're Back in the UK!

rapidoandy

As you take up your new responsibilities, may I plead with you to ensure that any future UK Rapido products take account of those who model to the more accurate wider track gauges (18.2mm  and 18.83mm)?  Accurascale and Sutton's Locomotive Workshop have shown the way and already produce easily convertible rolling stock as well as committing that their future products will be easily converted to run on more accurately gauged track, while still supporting the traditional (and admittedly much larger) 00 market.

If these two new entrants to the market can do it, surely Rapido can as well.  I'm certain the EM Gauge Society and the Scalefour Society will be only too willing to provide any information that you may require to ensure that Rapido's UK products are available to the "widest" possible market.

I wish you every success in your new role.

Stan

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The newsletter also has this request for help regarding the Rapido UK operation:

Note From Jason About Our UK Launch

We are having an extremely difficult time opening a bank account in the UK, and we can't do our full UK launch without a bank account. Janet has been tearing her hair out for months, and she has very pretty hair so we don't want that. Anyone who has recently opened a UK business bank account knows what we are talking about. Due to the fact that the owner of the business is in Canada, it has been doubly difficult for us to open our account. If this is something you can help us with, please send an email with the subject line "Janet's British Saviour." We will be eternally grateful and will shower you with praises and gifts.

Back to you, Knobby...

1 hour ago, mdvle said:

The newsletter also has this request for help regarding the Rapido UK operation:

This is a tough one, because if I remember correctly for a non-resident director to set up a bank account the director (signatory) has to present themselves at the bank with ID. That's a difficult one in a COVID-19 world.

In the old days one went to somewhere like HSBC, which has branches in Canada as well as the UK. Very little presence in Canada of UK retail banks and vice versa, but HSBC is an exception.

In the brave new world companies such as transferwise have business accounts and can set up bank accounts in multiple locations through their service. I don't know the details of it though (I use their service purely for personal currency transfers).

• RMweb Gold
On 09/10/2020 at 22:46, richscylla said:

Very excited to see what is next to come! IHA covered steel wagons would be very welcome Andy!

It must have been a slow day, just over hours before the wish list started :D

Edited by Vistisen
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 11/10/2020 at 09:26, Captain Electra said:

Try Metro Bank - I was able to set up a business account with them in about two weeks. Really nice, friendly service.

Not accepting new applications for business accounts until next year according to their website.

Thank you everyone for the comments.

We are indeed having a bit of fun sorting a bank account here. Nova Scotian has hit the nail on the head, it would be a lot simpler if we could physically get people over here to do it. 

Exciting times ahead!

Thanks

Andy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

We are indeed having a bit of fun sorting a bank account here. Nova Scotian has hit the nail on the head, it would be a lot simpler if we could physically get people over here to do it. 

Exciting times ahead!

Thanks

Andy

Did you try Transferwise and some of the others that offer business accounts across different jurisdictions? I don't know how they navigate the requirement to present onesself to the bank...

23 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Exciting times ahead!

Thanks

Andy

Just a thought, of the UK clearing banks, HSBC has an associated banking business in Canada - HSBC Canada, with 133 branches, mainly in British Columbia. Probably too simple a thought, but would it be possible to open a UK HSBC business account via a HSBC Canada branch.

2 hours ago, rembrow said:

Just a thought, of the UK clearing banks, HSBC has an associated banking business in Canada - HSBC Canada, with 133 branches, mainly in British Columbia. Probably too simple a thought, but would it be possible to open a UK HSBC business account via a HSBC Canada branch.

Importantly they have one in Markham. I had wondered above whether this would work, but I know with my Barclays account (personal) in the UK I still have to present myself in person for certain changes/updates. 

5 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

As for future models, the DMU is ripe for models, and just think of all that under body detail for Jason to get excited about.

Jason, in the May 20th Facebook Live session, said Rapido wasn't interested in doing DMU/EMU models given that the UK market was unrealistic on the costs of bringing such models to market - particularly for 3 or more car units (my summary of what was said based on memory).

Certainly things could change - for example someone bringing an expensive 4 car unit to market successfully showing that those vocal about price are wrong - but it would seem unlikely at this point.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 16/10/2020 at 19:55, mdvle said:

Jason, in the May 20th Facebook Live session, said Rapido wasn't interested in doing DMU/EMU models given that the UK market was unrealistic on the costs of bringing such models to market - particularly for 3 or more car units (my summary of what was said based on memory).

Certainly things could change - for example someone bringing an expensive 4 car unit to market successfully showing that those vocal about price are wrong - but it would seem unlikely at this point.

Possibly unlikely to see dmu / emu initially.... but Bill might be swayed to do a couple of GWR Toplights. Loads of variety and detail changes over the years.

Bill is the Rapido resident GWR enthusiast.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Possibly unlikely to see dmu / emu initially.... but Bill might be swayed to do a couple of GWR Toplights. Loads of variety and detail changes over the years.

Bill is the Rapido resident GWR enthusiast.

Wonder if people would be willing to spend the money on what would be an expensive project given the extensive tooling?

There might well be a market, but would anyone be willing to take the risk.