David Bell

35 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Just got more time for a proper read though David, and yes, it looks like an impressive project, good luck with it.:good:

BTW, The OO looks nice as well.:good:

To be honest, it was your low level shots that put me in the notion of this plan.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, David Bell said:

To be honest, it was your low level shots that put me in the notion of this plan.

Thanks David, I do think that the low level shots really come to the fore in the Senior Scale, although I have done some in OO as well, but it doesn't always work.

• Like 1

Hi David,

The wheel lathe at Allerton certainly is contained within a separate building, it is the the building directly to the north of the bridge where the two lines cross:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=53.35770&lon=-2.88515&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Within the depot the pit roads run almost the full length of the inside of the shed from about twenty feet in from the doors. A Google search will turn up images of the inside of the shed.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

I am hoping that being able to see locomotives through the windows of the back wall of the shed will add realism to the plan and give a sense that there is an outside. The plan allows for this at the right hand end of the shed. You should be able to see some of the stock in the fiddle yard area of the shed. Developing this idea further I did think of painting a locomotive on the backscene behind the windows of the left hand end of the shed. However I think that this might work better if the locomotive is modelled in low relief. So a rather unusual loco build, an 87 in ultra low relief.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You may all be forgiven for thinking this had died a death, but no!

I have taped together a few parts of the shed to see if this is going to give me the effect I am looking for and it looks promising I think.

I had a great deal of trouble initially because the side wall parts were all very slightly warped so when I glued 4 panels together they would not sit square. I took them to bits and glued them separately to a wooden batten. That seemed to do the trick. There is a lot of work to do on the inside before I join it all together  but I am happy with it so far.

Cheers

David

20210124_134950.jpg

20210124_134908.jpg

20210124_134642.jpg

20210124_135109.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...