David Bell

Over the past few months I have been trying to come up with a reasonably small plan for an O gauge layout which I can turn to as light relief?!  from the construction of my large project(Glasgow Queen Street in 00). I did consider Fort William Shed initially but that plan grew in size to rival GQS.

I have come up with a shed layout based on Allerton District Electric Depot. (Before the 2013 rebuilding)The Heljan O gauge modern shed is a reasonably close match for Allerton and the plan makes extensive use of them. There was no overhead inside Allerton shed so the electric locomotives are shunted in and out. I plan to construct non motorised class 81-7 and an APT-P power car to be shunted around the layout.

Allerton was also host to a variety of diesel types so these will be on the roster too.

Perhaps unusually the model is of the inside of the shed. It will be mounted at eye level so we will be looking into rather then onto the shed. The hope is that it will feel like you are inside the shed and locomotives enter the shed from outside.

Allerton also had an under rail wheel lathe (I think in a separate shed). I will include a representation of this on the front road. The wheel lathe meant that lots of different locomotives and other stock visited the shed, including preserved steam. It is almost a built in rule 1!

Finally I hope to model operating loco jacks so I can lift the body of one of the scratchbuilt electrics off its bogies.

The model is 900mm x 2900mm. The sector plate is long enough for a 2 car DMU so will accommodate an 08 plus mk3 coach or an 08 plus electric loco. There are only 2 points so at least that is a lot less than GQS.

Progress is likely to be slow whilst most effort concentrates on the 00 project but I will update here when any progress is made.

Plan is attached

20201010_153547.jpg

20201010_153516.jpg

• Like 10

Good luck, I she’ll be following this, and Buzz models are producing a class 84 kit if you didn’t know.

my depot, Hither Green, is also an inside the depot layout, although it might not seem that way at the moment, as I haven’t done the front boards, and the scenic part of the layout has actually only been made as the scenic break, as I have seen layouts where you lose the effect because as you look to the shed door, all you see is fiddle yard, and I wanted to be able to see an outside without being able to go outside. This will all become apparent as I finish off the front of the layout in the future and the illusion will suddenly become apparent......hopefully 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Good luck, I she’ll be following this, and Buzz models are producing a class 84 kit if you didn’t know.

my depot, Hither Green, is also an inside the depot layout, although it might not seem that way at the moment, as I haven’t done the front boards, and the scenic part of the layout has actually only been made as the scenic break, as I have seen layouts where you lose the effect because as you look to the shed door, all you see is fiddle yard, and I wanted to be able to see an outside without being able to go outside. This will all become apparent as I finish off the front of the layout in the future and the illusion will suddenly become apparent......hopefully 

Thanks for that. I have just spent a most enjoyable couple of hours going through your Hither Green thread. Cant think why I had not noticed it before. You are modelling to a very high standard. I will be more than happy to be half as good! My progress will be slow whilst i concentrate on GQS in 00 which is in its early stages. See separate thread under modelling real locations.picture of where we have got too attached

20200926_174354(0).jpg

20200926_174146.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, David Bell said:

Over the past few months I have been trying to come up with a reasonably small plan for an O gauge layout which I can turn to as light relief?!  from the construction of my large project(Glasgow Queen Street in 00). I did consider Fort William Shed initially but that plan grew in size to rival GQS.

I have come up with a shed layout based on Allerton District Electric Depot. (Before the 2013 rebuilding)The Heljan O gauge modern shed is a reasonably close match for Allerton and the plan makes extensive use of them. There was no overhead inside Allerton shed so the electric locomotives are shunted in and out. I plan to construct non motorised class 81-7 and an APT-P power car to be shunted around the layout.

Allerton was also host to a variety of diesel types so these will be on the roster too.

Perhaps unusually the model is of the inside of the shed. It will be mounted at eye level so we will be looking into rather then onto the shed. The hope is that it will feel like you are inside the shed and locomotives enter the shed from outside.

Allerton also had an under rail wheel lathe (I think in a separate shed). I will include a representation of this on the front road. The wheel lathe meant that lots of different locomotives and other stock visited the shed, including preserved steam. It is almost a built in rule 1!

Finally I hope to model operating loco jacks so I can lift the body of one of the scratchbuilt electrics off its bogies.

The model is 900mm x 2900mm. The sector plate is long enough for a 2 car DMU so will accommodate an 08 plus mk3 coach or an 08 plus electric loco. There are only 2 points so at least that is a lot less than GQS.

Progress is likely to be slow whilst most effort concentrates on the 00 project but I will update here when any progress is made.

Plan is attached

20201010_153547.jpg

20201010_153516.jpg

Nice drawing - takes me back to a certain time.

Ian

11 minutes ago, pwr said:

I'll be interested to see your APT power car

Paul R

Yes me too! I have been thinking about how I will make it. The construction method will likely be different from anything I have done before.

Cheers

David

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

At this planning stage of a project my thoughts turn to what particular locos should be on the roster for the layout. There are plenty of pictures  on the internet and the choice for Allerton is wide. All of my previous UK based projects have been based on Scottish prototypes so this is a departure from that for me. Whilst researching on the net  I found a picture of 33 030 newly painted in EWS livery, having just been painted by the staff at Allerton. Incredibly this loco was Scottish based for a while. Just after the repaint, around 1999/2000, it was transferred to Aberdeen, with two others, to work freight trips in and around the city. As the first class 33s to be allocated North of the border these locos had a bit of celebrity status especially given their similarity to the 26 and 27s which had disappeared by then. I was living in Aberdeen at the time and remember them well. The locos did not fare well in the North. Perhaps they did not like the cold! That is one for the roster though.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Any thoughts on how you will do the bogies. 

I always wanted an APT-E and thought about 3D printing for the bogies but I don't have the skills to draw them up for printing. I have scale drawings and copies of the original blueprints I got from the NRM back in the 80's. 

I could easily scratch build the bodies - plasticard is so versatile

Paul R

Yes and I guess you would not need tilt so its relatively straightforward.  the E1T bogies on APT-E have an articulation bar that supports the tilt mechanism. the motor bogies are  not dissimilar to the P train but have a longer wheelbase.

I was in contact with a guy that was building a G1 APT-E mostly out of wood which would have been impressive

Paul r

I didn't buy one of those but I am now regretting that, I have a Prototype HST converted from Hornby Power cars and Joueff coaches. However its only kept for sentimental reasons as a lot of work (and filler) went into it. I have nowhere to run it and don't currently belong to a club although that hopefully will change once I retire at some pint in the next 18 months.

Paul R

• RMweb Premium
On 11/10/2020 at 12:03, David Bell said:

Thanks for that. I have just spent a most enjoyable couple of hours going through your Hither Green thread. Cant think why I had not noticed it before. You are modelling to a very high standard. I will be more than happy to be half as good! My progress will be slow whilst i concentrate on GQS in 00 which is in its early stages. See separate thread under modelling real locations.picture of where we have got too attached

20200926_174354(0).jpg

20200926_174146.jpg

Where are your 3-way points sourced from?  Interesting layout project, ideal for a Heljan 02 when released. I like the idea of the non powered AC electrics 81-87.

Dava

17 hours ago, D6775 said:

This thread might be useful to you both if you've missed it.

APT POP Kits

No real interest in the APT personally  but this chap has designed a 4mm kit for the APT POP train which I would assume has the same bogies, I wonder if he could scale them up to 7mm  to 3D print?

Thanks D6675

I have sent an e-mail to Paul Leadley and asked him if a scale up of the bogies is possible.

Paul R

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dava said:

Where are your 3-way points sourced from?  Interesting layout project, ideal for a Heljan 02 when released. I like the idea of the non powered AC electrics 81-87.

Dava

Hi Dava. Not unreasonably you must have thought the picture is of a 7mm layout, this being the 7mil+ thread. It is of my other project, Glasgow in 00, so the 3 way points are standard Peco products

• Thanks 1

David

I have heard from Paul Leadley  and he thinks it will be possible to produce 7mm bogies and he is looking into it for me. he has printed some Gauge One bogies and sent me photos which look the part.

I think we may be on the way.

D6775 - many thanks fo the link

Paul R

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, pwr said:

David

I have heard from Paul Leadley  and he thinks it will be possible to produce 7mm bogies and he is looking into it for me. he has printed some Gauge One bogies and sent me photos which look the part.

Paul R

No problem Paul. Fingers crossed!

2 hours ago, pwr said:

David

Paul R

That sounds good!

My thanks to D6775 too