Diecast, Cast Iron & Tinplate Trains

Canal Digger

Please is there anyone else interested in Diecast, Cast Iron or Tinplate (beyond Lone Star 000 and 0 Gauge clockwork/ electric)? 

SWMBO has a Lone Star layout with the 3 types of track that I built for her.

I collect anything (trains) that is different from that which most other people don't. This puts me in a gulf between Railway Modellers and the road vehicle dominated Diecast Collectors and I'm very happy there!  

In turn below are examples from Teddytoy Industries, Japanese Tinplate, Tootsietoy & Henry Wallwork, others can follow if there is the interest.

20200929_215206.jpg

Japanese Tinplate.jpg

20201011_103043.jpg

20201011_102901.jpg

Edited by Canal Digger
better photos to follow
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have the Dinky A4 and half of the articulated coach set. There are several versions of this and needless to say mine are from different ones. The loco is always 2509 and post war examples have lost the fairings over the wheels.

Also in Dinky there are pre-way loco and wagons (good luck and deep pocket to find these) and the 4mm scale diecast version of the starter loco and two wagons (which I have - they are not difficult to find).

There is also a Gaiety train about the same size as the A4. I believe there should be a locomotive and two items of rolling stock. I only have two of the three. They are believed to have produced two or three other locomotives, but I have never seen them so can't comment. Their N2 appeared in various push-along formats in the mid-fifties.

The Budgie 3F 0-6-0T belongs here, as I think do the Tri-ang table train* (though mainly plastic) There was also one made by Meccano Ltd around WW I and quite a few others. (Or am I pushing things too far?)

Would this sort of thing count?

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/eastbourne

and this? (This one is buses but there are trains )

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1950s-russian-tinplate-246046425

The Holy Grail must be the Bing? tinplate LNWR publicity train from about 1914.

I suppose plastic is really out of place here, so I'll not go there.

* I can't find any reference, but it was a complete layout powered by a vibrator motor. I did find this Russian tinplate item which is similar though larger.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-USSR-Made-wind-up-Toy-SHUNTING-LOCOMOTIVE-TRAIN-mechanical-clockwork-/313066341357

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh, Treble-0- Lectric. I used to have a layout on board, made my the old chap. I think it had 2 diesels, a EE type 3, and a class 24-ish locomotive.  I sometimes bumble into 'Bay and see this. I'm automatically  back to 1964. I have considered going back, but until Lone Star make a large Metro & autocoach, I don't think It'll happen.

let's have a look on 'Bay......

Cheers,

Ian. 

• Like 2

There were two British Lone Star Treble-O-Lectic locos (as listed above) plus a EMD F series* in various US road names and later a Baldwin 0-8-0.

The push-along series was obviously based on Tri-ang:- a Jinty, Princess, 3MT 2-6-2T and the F series look alike (an A4 interloper from Dublo like the name of the range?) even the rolling stock and accessories showed signs of Tri-ang - short coaches, very short coaches, signal box etc.

* It was obviously supposed to be an F series, but missed the mark (like the Tri-ang one).

http://www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/TrebleO.html

EDIT Quote from above link

Treble-O-Lectric (is there ANY other name for electric trains that is as cool sounding as this?)

I would say, "Dublo", where they copied it from!

I must try his tip for drive bands. I had seen it suggested elsewhere and had forgotten it. They even come in black.

I had that goods set. Unfortunately the outer box was destroyed by damp, but the inner boxes and contents survived :) .

The track bears little resemblance to 000 scale, but is fine for running my Liliput Austrian NG. 000 should be 9.5mm gauge, but Lone Star used 8mm for their first push along and 9mm for the later ranges, which are easily distinguished by tension lock couplings and plastic wheels.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

Have just uploaded better photos of the Tootsietoy and Wallwork Trains. The Wallwork Floor Train is only about 1/2 complete but even that weighs 9lb (4Kg) being made of cast iron, so I wonder at the thought of a late Victorian child dragging a complete train around the nursery, crashing into ..... . I believe that the loco is based upon a Midland Railway 115 Class , made wider for stability. One day I might get the courage to try stripping the blue & black paint of the coach to take it back to the copper colour

A lot of the Lone Star appears to be a scaled down copy of the Triang, (eg electric track, footbridge, platform & building, people, Jinty, Princess etc). When time permits I'll take a couple of pictures of the Lone Star people for comparison with the Slater's(?) figures on the 'Plastic 00 figures' thread.

4 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

There were two British Lone Star Treble-O-Lectic locos (as listed above) plus a EMD F series* in various US road names and later a Baldwin 0-8-0.

* It was obviously supposed to be an F series, but missed the mark (like the Tri-ang one).

There were two US diesels, the first in the pushalong range being the half-size Tri-ang but the second Treble-0-Lectric one was an entirely new casting, much better detailed and very obviously an F-7. It was later used in the 'Woolworths' pushalong range.

A few things are more Hornby Dublo inspired like the square post signals, the girder bridge and station platforms and buildings but A4 aside, the rolling stock is, as you say, Tri-ang based.

• Like 1

I produced an article published in the Train Collector, the magazine of the Train Collectors Society, about the inspiration behind the Lone Star Locos range.

This is mainly  from a posting on the Hornby Forum...

(All photos are from our collection, except the Lone Star 3mt. )

Lone Star Inspirations...

I believe that the Lone Star Locos models may well have been inspired by other models!

The "Jinty" locos were not lined in BR days, but the Tri-ang models gained mixed traffic lined black livery....

The Lone Star Locos "Jinty" has cast in lining....even the track seems to be based on Tri-ang Railways "Standard" Track....

20B7CCBD-C948-4125-9CA7-68D74E1058F9.jpeg.190c80028e130ff1ec127148707b912d.jpeg

Whereas the A4 loco seems to be based on the Hornby Dublo models...

CF0F5314-3B05-422D-9D35-B88000B3CD80.jpeg.c60a253620cf6dfdefb2b860019896f6.jpeg

The "Princess Royal" class looks likely to be based on the Tri-ang Railways models...

3A09C969-2E8D-4A23-A385-D2C1F0390177.jpeg.5415a2e0c5720b75630ae26d187c4430.jpeg

The Transcontinental Diesel Loco looks like the Tri-ang R.55 loco....

03045299-2812-42EE-AB16-F545A8877759.jpeg.59be3b5120160940ea372a4cc622bbf9.jpeg

Some wagons....

9AA2B686-FF41-4A65-987B-96A4F2E5EF27.jpeg.da99048205ca6aa5b4cc1570a0903e70.jpeg

Lone Star Locos die cast track is clearly based on Tri-ang Railways Standard Track, with mk2 type points...

49D6F301-7022-4E08-8A9B-A74133758DBF.jpeg.3e5f4e351e3320d7a29f1c380c397a47.jpeg

Also in the Lone Star Locos range is a Standard 3mt 2-6-2 Tank loco...based on the Tri-ang Railways R.59 loco...

52B61800-DCE3-460B-B4B3-3B78FA0EAFBF.jpeg.429844f862926215618970e8b91962ee.jpeg

AC472C9C-8B9F-428C-B240-792AD639A21C.jpeg.1295439e8937a6d4ca72a85f3774a510.jpeg

(This photo sourced from the internet...)

The Lone Star diesel shunter has inside frames, just like the Tri-ang Railways version. R.156. Also in Clockwork...Primary Series RP.B train set...

3116B3C8-1F79-40C0-92EB-D599FE06381D.jpeg.eb0c6d3f59c7161875fcc4be11f15092.jpeg

28A3EFA0-0D67-4890-B745-892738E14091.jpeg.877bee61aa8d964ce011d1b7b6682d5e.jpeg

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
More added
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

The Holy Grail must be the Bing? tinplate LNWR publicity train from about 1914.

An even holier grail: Central London Railway pushalong train issued as tins of sweeties when the line opened. LT Museum have one in top condition, but the number Still in existence beyond that is vanishingly small.

That Wallwork train is superb!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

I forgot the Diesel Shunter and the U.S. coaches. The wagons came in short wheelbase, long wheelbase and bogie. Most had a Tri-ang look about them, but the tank wagons were LWB rather than short like The Tri-ang one.

The Bing LNWR train is here (once you wade through all the waffle about the real thing. It hardly pioneered superheating in 1910, since the GWR for one had been building superheated locomotives since 1906! My GJC quote below refers to LNWR  locomotives after all!) Whether it qualifies as "early N" is debatable as well, though it does look remarkably like its prototype for the time.

https://www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/index/Category:George_the_Fifth_Class_locomotives

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_2900_Class

My model will be 2920 for an obvious reason....

Edited by Il Grifone

Whoever wrote that tosh should be drummed out of Brighton!

The LBSCR famously convinced the LNWR of the virtues of superheating in a series of trials on the Sunny South Express where the modest Brighton tank engine ran to Rugby and back With the huge train on a pint of water and a teaspoon of coal (I may have misremembered exact quantities) while the LNWR’s two (yes two) great big tender engines used on the same train drank a reservoir and ate a mine to do the job. I3 Class No.23.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

LNWR locomotive performance reputedly depended on them being thrashed. This practice is not going to lead to economical use of coal. The GWR 'Bear' (built superheated in 1908) was allegedly capable of running between London and Bristol without adding coal to the fire.

Discussion here as to "Why?" suggests the idea was Churchward's, but the GWR board must have been impressed by the idea of "biggest" to sanction the cost of building her , whoever thought of it. Failure or not, she outlived most of the BR Standard Pacifics....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_111_The_Great_Bear

• Agree 1

Seeing as we are going down the N scale(ish) route I'll try to keep it going, the LNWR King George V Set (as mentioned above), a Birthday Cake Candle Holder Set, a Toot Toot Tootsietoy set [on the board of my N/Z gauge test track] and a unkown set. The loco 'unknown set' bears a remarkable resemblance to the Cresent Loco behind it. yes the middle blue coach(?) is suffering from Zinc Pest. Not sure that I would want some cake that had lead(?) paint flaking over it.

20201015_214542.jpg

20201015_213509.jpg

20201015_215405.jpg

20201015_215646.jpg

• Like 3

This is a very interesting niche!

Made me remember the fairly modern Lesney ones of the late-1970s/early-1980s (I bought these for my eldest daughter, and thought the 4WDS was rather good), and some quite good ones that a French diecast maker (Majorette?) supplied in the late-1960s/early-1970s (I remember seeing an French or Itlalian-looking 0-6-0T for instance). Nowadays, or at least recently, there seem to be a lot of of diecast "Thomas character" toys at about this size.

Are you a TCS member? A display if/when we are able to have meetings/exhibitions again?

Ah, here is the Majorette 0-6-0T https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=6scuT4O6&id=D2AFFBD2480E8A76AACD7C18F94E3784D62D8B0D&thid=OIP.6scuT4O6qnXVy6R46RM0UgHaFj&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.miniatures-toys.com%2fclient%2fcache%2fproduit%2f500_______majorette_101_locomotive_vapeur_sb_c_26071.jpg&exph=375&expw=500&q=jouet+majorette+locomotive&simid=608026314051945847&ck=694B068C1A6E31B8C44CE4E091DAF68C&selectedIndex=4&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0

The search threw-up a few other Majorette items too.

Oh, disastre!

The Majorette ones seem to have been 'en plastique'.

They were sold in bubble-packs in newsagents shops in France. I never bought any, but assumed they were diecast, like the cars and lorries.

I've just found a picture of one of the "point of sale" displays, and its no wonder I was misled: at the top it says "Majorette - Fabrication Francaise en metal". Fibs!

img_0050.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 1

N gauge static and push trains, from all kind of material, is a collecting niche. Donald Troost made a 200 page plus catalogue of these:

P1050141.JPG.4e0ffaec0917525bca8c3b17ab3fd4fa.JPGP1050142.JPG.ffdad601d050f0c2d5983ea09846029d.JPG

One of the most beautiful and interesting I think is the French made Gulliver Express:

P1050140.JPG.4c7240e90e15bc041242ed911bf2e47c.JPGP1050139.JPG.2713890c54ed2f2629766bcb1552f953.JPG

Regards

Fred

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

I have a few items of Rail-Route rolling stock. Two examples of the brake van and the open wagon with 'sentry box' plus some others i can't remember. They sit in a mini display case along with a couple of examples of the Mini-Trix push along models (these are die-cast - I forgot them), a 0-6-0T* (Br89? - these had outside Allan valve gear, so Trix can be excused not fitting it!) and a 'thunder box' 4 wheel coach. Recently Asda had some cheap plastic trains similar to the Rail-Route models and a set came home....  :) 

* This is the electric version - someone got a bargain!

Yes the French made Gulliver Express & JEP look wonderful!

I'll guess that Donald Troost's book is somewhat akin to Rocking Horse Poo (rare!), but I'll keep a lookout. Is it still available. His definition of N Scale is nice and elastic, my Barclay, Mercury & Midgetoy models are nearer TT/ H0 than N.

Regarding the Lone Star, there is the tender driven, US Loco shown below (missing some wheels), also the Lone Star people that I mentioned a couple of days ago.

20201016_202607.jpg

20201015_213100.jpg

20201016_203333.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Canal Digger said:

I'll guess that Donald Troost's book is somewhat akin to Rocking Horse Poo (rare!), but I'll keep a lookout. Is it still available.

As far as I know the book was never officially published (his Lone Star book (Lone Star Model Train Reference Guide) was, I think). Donald was selling some stuff on a swapmeet and had only his own print of this catalogue there. He reluctantly sold it to me; he would print another one at home. Some of the push trains I have are the actual ones pictured in the catalogue.

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e

On 11/10/2020 at 11:53, BernardTPM said:

Baby Deltic (later Class 23) and BR Derby Sulzer type 2 (later Class 24).

Some years ago I saw the end results of what could be done with a Lone Star 23 and a Farish 20 chassis plus extensive super detailing. A labour of love but the outcome was superb.

On 11/10/2020 at 12:11, Il Grifone said:

The push-along series was obviously based on Tri-ang:- a Jinty, Princess, 3MT 2-6-2T and the F series look alike (an A4 interloper from Dublo like the name of the range?) even the rolling stock and accessories showed signs of Tri-ang - short coaches, very short coaches, signal box etc.

http://www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/TrebleO.html

EDIT Quote from above link

Treble-O-Lectric (is there ANY other name for electric trains that is as cool sounding as this?)

I would say, "Dublo", where they copied it from!

I must try his tip for drive bands. I had seen it suggested elsewhere and had forgotten it. They even come in black.

I had that goods set. Unfortunately the outer box was destroyed by damp, but the inner boxes and contents survived :) .

The track bears little resemblance to 000 scale, but is fine for running my Liliput Austrian NG. 000 should be 9.5mm gauge, but Lone Star used 8mm for their first push along and 9mm for the later ranges, which are easily distinguished by tension lock couplings and plastic wheels.

About 30 years ago or so, boxed (apparently shop surplus) Treble-O-Lectric Mk1 coaches and 24s kept showing up at toy fairs/model shops in the West Midlands. Maybe I should have taken the plunge or else persuaded Dad to give them a go on his N layout...