What to do with old Tri-ang Princesses....

33C

At last some one after my own heart. Rebuilding and restoring old engines. I congratulate you on a job well done.

I just missed out on a Triang Baltic on Ebay today. It was in really good condition. It was one of the newer ones with the plastic body. So no warping. Forgot what time it was ending. It went for less than £13.00 plus p+p. These are my Princesses.

DSC_0883.JPG

DSC_0890.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking gooood! The ones shown on the viaduct were sold on an auction site when i last had a cull so hopefully they are giving pleasure somewhere. Have since remade a Great Bear and a Turbo motive as i was given some flood damaged loco's. The 2-8-0's have a hardwood chassis extension, super glued at the rear and drilled for a set of Tri-ang flangeless wheels and cut down rods. Simple as that. All lining now done by bow pen and steel rule to guide, and free hand curves. Got fed up buying expensive lining sheets so bought the cheapest bow pen in the art shop (£1.95) and they showed me how to use it gratis. As you can see on the Furness and Jones it works a treat after a bit of practice! Try it... I wont be going back to Pressfix! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 33C said:

Or these.... The Furness Baltic and Jones goods are my latest. If the wheel flanges bump on the sleepers, two strokes of a coarse file all the way round and then finish with wet and dry sanding block to polish and they will run fine on your Hornby and Peco code 100!

056.jpg

059.jpg

068.jpg

071.jpg

075.jpg

076.jpg

062.jpg

029.jpg

097.jpg

025.jpg

061.jpg

Gor' blimey O'Riley! So many possibilities, I say!

The Gordon and Henry models are nicely interpreted though they could do with a wee bit more work. The Great Bear model is really nice and fantastic, it looks faithful to the original prototype! The Churchward 47xx Night Owl looks nice as does the Highland Railway Jones Goods Class 4-6-0, the first British Ten-Wheeler and only surviving example with us today!

The Furness Baltic Tank looks nice as does the ill-fated Turbomotive (I say ill-fated because of the crash at Harrow and Wealdstone) and very much what Hornby-Dublo might have done as an exclusive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of Princesses, I managed to snatch me up one at a price from my model railway dealer though sadly it's more of a static display model. Originally, I was gonna name it Princess Meghan after Meghan Markle but I changed to Princess Charlotte after Will and Kate's real-life daughter.

The model is gonna have a running number as 6213 and has the LMS lined black livery much like the LMS Jubilees and Royal Scots. I could share some pics here if you'd like me to.

• Like 3

G'day all,

This thread reminded me of a conversion from a Tri-ang Princess I did while very impecunious in 1971. I attempted to make a model of a NSWGR C35 class, like this:

1950908114_MittagongCentenaryTour4Mar67b-3526backingontotrainCentral.jpg.586c9df176c57e05a7ca5712a85efe63.jpg

This was the result (rather crude now, by my current standards):

1658417973_3506CarmarthenJn09Sep2015.JPG.66cc734aca134ae158582bcba3b90a68.JPG

The tender body came from a Dublo Castle.

It was useful kitbashing experience at the time.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, RosiesBoss said:

G'day all,

This thread reminded me of a conversion from a Tri-ang Princess I did while very impecunious in 1971. I attempted to make a model of a NSWGR C35 class, like this:

1950908114_MittagongCentenaryTour4Mar67b-3526backingontotrainCentral.jpg.586c9df176c57e05a7ca5712a85efe63.jpg

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob, Well that was certainly better than my first attempt in the mid 70's. Which was to turn a Princess into a Black 5. I finished it and it ran quite well, Then Hornby released their first Black 5. Mine went in the scrap bin and I got the new one. All long gone now.

• RMweb Premium

How can you destroy Tri-ang Princesses like this?  These are Rare and Collectible, all the sellers on eBay say so........

Seriously, some really nice work here, the Aussie C35 and Jones Goods particularly appeal to me.  Do they compare to a new Hornby/Bachmann/Oxford Rail version?  No of course they don't, but they're yours, they're unique, you did the work and you could have made five of them for the cost of a new one in a box.  If you do feel you've made an almighty mistake (and I wouldn't think that of any of these), it's not like they've cost you much.

Thank you for the reminder that I have rather too many "projects" like this to get started on!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, RosiesBoss said:

G'day all,

Regards,

Rob

Believe it or not, this loco was an inspiration to me when i saw it in an old magazine, ( Railway Modeller?) around the late 80's when i was buying old back numbers looking for just this kind of thing as i was bored with jinty's, 08's, B12's etc and wanted something different.........

Hi 33C,

I would be very interested to know how you extended the length of the Princess. I can see that the pony truck looks longer than standard on the red 46204. So I assume that this is scratch built. Where else did you extend.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 17:54, cypherman said:

Hi 33C,

I would be very interested to know how you extended the length of the Princess. I can see that the pony truck looks longer than standard on the red 46204. So I assume that this is scratch built. Where else did you extend.

No, just some plasticard false frames laid over the original frame to give it the proper length. And new firebox sides from card. Note the steam pipes from thick cooker wire to meet the cylinders. The bogie truck is standard. I just used the forward screw hole on the chassis and i used some Jackson Evans wheels i had lying around. The body of the 1946 LMS ,Plunger pick-up loco should show the cuts. Cut 1 is 4mm from the cab of one body through the firebox and cut 2 is through the boiler approx 6mm from the smokebox ring. get another (damaged/old) body and cut off the smokebox and the cab and glue the remaining boiler between the first two bits. (you are replacing the missing 2 feet) ,then fill and smooth. The mounting points to the chassis have to be packed out to fit but not by much. The LMS 1946 Loco was only done because both bodies i had were very warped and became the guinea pig for the maroon princess. (see below). An article appeared in an early Railway Modeller in the late 60's that showed precisely this. Hope this helps?

20201031_010410.jpg

20201104_222520.jpg

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

18 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Speaking of Princesses, I managed to snatch me up one at a price from my model railway dealer though sadly it's more of a static display model. Originally, I was gonna name it Princess Meghan after Meghan Markle but I changed to Princess Charlotte after Will and Kate's real-life daughter.

The model is gonna have a running number as 6213 and has the LMS lined black livery much like the LMS Jubilees and Royal Scots. I could share some pics here if you'd like me to.

Surely you can get it running? I've had two that were underwater for a week and they cleaned up lovely! Mind you, they do smell a bit like sewage when they get warm.....

On 11/10/2020 at 20:01, ColinK said:

Don’t do what I did a very long time ago - cover the body with car filler in an attempt to streamline it.  The filler was too strong to file smooth and weighed so much the motor burnt out!

This is what i do to the ones with the crap bodies, using a template i found in a magazine and slightly reduced to fold over the princess boiler.......no burnt out motor for me!

20220618_181259.jpg

20220618_181428.jpg

Edited by 33C
added photo.
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, 313201 said:

Hi 33C

I like what you have done with the locos you created using the triang princess chassis.

The 1 thing I have to ask is how did you do the 4th axle for the 2-8-0 locos.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

The important thing here is to drill the hole in the correct position in the frames.  I've seen an LNER P1 made from a modified Hornby Flying Scotsman body on a Tri-ang Princess chassis, using LMS 8F wheels and motion.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 12/10/2020 at 15:33, 313201 said:

Hi 33C

I like what you have done with the locos you created using the triang princess chassis.

The 1 thing I have to ask is how did you do the 4th axle for the 2-8-0 locos.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

The fourth axle is simply a piece of hardwood, cut and sanded and super-glued to the chassis at the rear. Measure the length between the con rod holes of the half rod your going to use,lay on the chassis and mark a centre. Line a steel rule along all axle centres to true up your fourth axle mark and drill through using a bit, of the correct diameter, checking it goes through square. Two un-flanged, centre drivers with the screw hole are used and off you go. dont forget to quarter them the same as the other driving wheels and, if any tight spots, twist wheel slightly and/or file a SLIGHTLY larger hole in the rod(s). After many years, this has not failed in traffic! The 8F was the guinea pig using solid wheels, the 47XX the result.

20201016_004012.jpg

20201016_003822.jpg

Edited by 33C
added photo.
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Some more of my Princess conversions. The Bulleid wheels are the original princess solid wheels filled with car body filler and sanded smooth with a teardrop tampo made from a pencil rubber and pressed on to the main green and then finished off with the stress holes painted by hand. Body and tender sides are one piece plasticard and a few bits of Kitmaster. King Arthur has a princess body filed to within an inch of it's life with scratchbuilt tender with bogies from the old TRI-ANG coaches, County class has scratch built tender but retains the"chuff-chuff" tender chassis and lastly the Harrow and Wealdstone engines, Turbomotive and Jubilee "Windward Isles", both old Princesses. The B12's are coming........

20201016_002222.jpg

20201016_002449.jpg

20201016_003319.jpg

20201016_003047.jpg

20201016_002837.jpg

Edited by 33C
added photo.
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

Inspirational   Is there anything at all of a Princess body in the Jones Goods?      I re drill Triang chassis to take Mainline etc coupling rods, I have several Princess chassis but I haven't actually re drilled any.   Project 47XX seems on, I have a King Body....

Yep, 2/3 running plate, lower cab sides, one pair of splashers, dragbox and portion of buffer beam. all mainly to give rigidity, all of tender chassis. Rest is scratchbuilt.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1