12v junction box

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

So I have a DC layout, but I want to install a 12v bus circuit round the layout to feed various accessories. I see this as a main circuit with branches off as required 

What do you DCC guys use as junction boxes off of your bus circuits. My current choice is choc blocks but I am not happy with them as I end up having to cram two sets of wires into one side.

This is what I want to replace with something better..

20201011_094334.jpg.fc04e46d823d415c363ad2f0c4668003.jpg

I need a few so don't want to pay a fortune. I just want a miniature 12v junction box.

Your suggestions?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

I have several yards of heavy duty copper cable raided from skips ages ago (2 varieties, the heavier one is cooker feed standard I think). For some multiple joints I chop off a suitable length of single strand, strip it, thread it through a chocolate block at each end as appropriate then use the sticking out bit/rod as a solder tag.  In the past have also used cut off bits of tinplate, screwed to the baseboard's underside with the wires soldered to it as necessary. For the latter sardine tin lids are a good source as it is flat.

Edited by john new
Extra clarity

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, JST said:

So I've ordered them. How best to use them? Presumably the continuity strtips have to be cut to fit? And do you set them up as ++-- or as +-+-?

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

So I've ordered them. How best to use them? Presumably the continuity strtips have to be cut to fit? And do you set them up as ++-- or as +-+-?

I'd go ++|-- 

Edit: 

can you set them up so one side is positive and one negative? 

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

1 hour ago, ikcdab said:

So I've ordered them. How best to use them? Presumably the continuity strips have to be cut to fit? And do you set them up as ++-- or as +-+-?

I've not seen these before, but it looks as though you can use them either as standard terminal strip connectors where each circuit is separate ie 1, 2, 3 and 4 are all for joining separate wires or if you use the continuity strips, you effectively tie all of the poles together on one side to create an earth block.  That would therefore mean that you'd use two of these.  One would use a red continuity strip and connect all the positive wires together and the other would use the black continuity strip and connect all of the negative wires together.  I could of course be wrong, but that's what they look like to me.