What do you use to carry stock to Exhibitions?

It might seem a bizarre subject bearing in mind there are no exhibitions going on at the moment but I am working on the basis at some point my layout will attend some planned shows and wanted to think about how to carry the stock. For 4mm I used some plastic trays with cardboard dividers but before finding larger ones for 7mm, I just wondered what tended to be the preferred method in 7mm please? I don't have lots of stock as my layout is only a small shunting plank.Thanks

43 minutes ago, 37114 said:

It might seem a bizarre subject bearing in mind there are no exhibitions going on at the moment but I am working on the basis at some point my layout will attend some planned shows and wanted to think about how to carry the stock. For 4mm I used some plastic trays with cardboard dividers but before finding larger ones for 7mm, I just wondered what tended to be the preferred method in 7mm please? I don't have lots of stock as my layout is only a small shunting plank.Thanks

A 45 Ton Juggernaut.:laugh:.

I had a wooden Suitcase my dad made during the War, it would hold 2 x Steam Locos / Jinty / Pannier, and about 15 Wagons / Vans.

Not much help I know, but maybe a Flight Case, the sort that Groups use for PA ect.

image.png.417e1f07e4534f8c2cf4b3fb0b943df5.png

image.png.5aad71656b37304e3df7bf387dc00a76.png

I've just made a similar thing out of 9mm Ply for putting Leads, stands, foot pedals, cables etc inside and standing my Amp on at Gigs, once we can do them again.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

A 45 Ton Juggernaut.:laugh:.

I had a wooden Suitcase my dad made during the War, it would hold 2 x Steam Locos / Jinty / Pannier, and about 15 Wagons / Vans.

Not much help I know, but maybe a Flight Case, the sort that Groups use for PA ect.

image.png.417e1f07e4534f8c2cf4b3fb0b943df5.png

image.png.5aad71656b37304e3df7bf387dc00a76.png

I've just made a similar thing out of 9mm Ply for putting Leads, stands, foot pedals, cables etc inside and standing my Amp on at Gigs, once we can do them again.

I found a triple set on eBay for very reasonable money. The baby one takes tools and the other two take the tank engines in their display boxes. An old fibreglass brief case and it's wooden clone have a simple plywood divider for wagons. Coaches have their own boxes that hold four and were custom made by my late father in law.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Someone did a thread on this not that long ago. Those clear plastic boxes that Hobby Craft sell with foam board dividers for stock

Thanks,  that is similar to what I use in 4mm so will just upscale what I have today I think although I like Andy's solution 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 37114 said:

Thanks,  that is similar to what I use in 4mm so will just upscale what I have today I think although I like Andy's solution 

I tend to keep RTR locos in their manufacturer's boxes - fewer of them than with 4mm so not as onerous to unpack at exhibitions and probably safer...they have a lot of mass when they hit the floor.....don't ask me how I know...

With kit built stuff such as Connoisseur 4f or JLTRT 22 I have previously invested in Parkside Arts individual boxes and while I don't think they are available any more other suppliers do something similar. Given the value of the locos I don't think the extra cost is too much...

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, gismorail said:

B&Q are now selling 'Wham up-cycled' boxes in different sizes ...very strong and robust ...strong enough to strap to the back of my tractor unit and store ratchets and straps for load restraint :sungum:

Thanks for the link, this one looks like it could have some potential with some home made dividers.

https://www.diy.com/departments/wham-storage-heavy-duty-upcycled-soft-grey-36l-polypropylene-pp-medium-stackable-nestable-storage-box/5057604455809_BQ.prd

2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I tend to keep RTR locos in their manufacturer's boxes - fewer of them than with 4mm so not as onerous to unpack at exhibitions and probably safer...they have a lot of mass when they hit the floor.....don't ask me how I know...

With kit built stuff such as Connoisseur 4f or JLTRT 22 I have previously invested in Parkside Arts individual boxes and while I don't think they are available any more other suppliers do something similar. Given the value of the locos I don't think the extra cost is too much...

Chris

It is a good point about the locos Chris, I only have 4 and the class 37 is certainly a heavy lump so maybe best transported in it's original box. A few of my wagons have no box so will try the Wham boxes suggested by Gismorail

Another source of stock boxes for 0 gauge locomotives is Ellis Clark who sells some excellent single loco boxes. Refer to his site for details. 

One of the good things about the Wham boxes is the fact that the price is very reasonable. :pleasantry:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Not specific for your scale, but I was looking at some expensive wooden carry cases from a now defunct german company Mossmer. Then I worked out the value of the stock I was then carrying around in plastic carrier bags. I purchased three. Thirty five years later, they are still doing their job.

Also, I found the manufacturers boxes too fiddly, and caused more damage than the closed foam slots in the trays of the carry cases.

So, my advice, spend good money on good quality stock boxes, it will be worth it.

• Thanks 1