Class 73/9, by Accurascale and KMS Railtech

KMS Railtech

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, KMS Railtech said:

Come on in, it’s nice and cozy. The fire is on. There’s plenty of food and drink...

how many 73s would you like sir? :D

Technically none as I model 1939! But I do have an Accurascale 55 on order...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I ordered 4, 2x GBRf and 2 x CS
i should have checked for 2 different numbers of each !

A general observation, but the GBRf ones generally look more weather beaten than the CS ones.. then again I think they are worked harder.. some RHTT/NR  diagrams run for 12+ hours...

• RMweb Premium

Good luck to you KMS. I have EOId for 2 CS and 1 NR, but may want more! Nice that Accurascale will be making them, should mean we get a consistent paint colour between the sleeper coaches, 92s and 73s. 

Of course I’m half expecting Dapol to come out in a week with their project 73/9. That’s been the way with a few models. One manufacturer announces a model with a long lead then another manufacturer says “we’ll actually we’ve been working on that and it will be out in 6 months” and completely kills manufacturer the firsts project.

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

Good luck to you KMS. I have EOId for 2 CS and 1 NR, but may want more! Nice that Accurascale will be making them, should mean we get a consistent paint colour between the sleeper coaches, 92s and 73s. 

Of course I’m half expecting Dapol to come out in a week with their project 73/9. That’s been the way with a few models. One manufacturer announces a model with a long lead then another manufacturer says “we’ll actually we’ve been working on that and it will be out in 6 months” and completely kills manufacturer the firsts project.

That’s what I was thinking..,

however it seems a popular choice, I’ve wondered about heavily modifying a Dapol RTR one on more than one occasion, an attractive prototype that’s well travelled.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, nightstar.train said:

To be fair, the Dapol 73 has been around 8 years, its not as if they havent had the opportunity to take it on.

The class 59 has taken half a decade, and the paint EP was nearly 2 years ago at Warley 2018, but is still out to 2021, they've been busy with other things, unfortunately the hobby competitive as it is, you cant leave your lunch outside.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, KMS Railtech said:

Thanks Danny.

Of course, you will be able to change which ones you order at the time. It is not a crowdfunding project where you will only get the item you ordered, we will try to have some for stock also. However, it is also important that pre-orders are made for those that are committed as without these, it is unlikely that the project will go ahead.

With regards numbers, we are a little away from that yet. It is possible that we do more than two numbers too depending on demand!

Thank you for the reply and for letting us know. It's greatly appreciated. 

That's excellent, because by the time the pre-ordering does open I may have some additional funds in which I may wish to pre-order the Network Rail and/or Caledonian Sleeper 73s too. 

If you could offer more than say two of the GBRf and Caledonian Sleeper versions it would be excellent if was possible, but if not no worries. The main thing though for me and most others is that you are committing to produce two of both the GBRf and Caledonian Sleeper versions and both of the Network Rail versions too. This is brilliant because most of the time the 73s, especially the converted and modified ones that you are producing, run in pairs. 

I will be following this thread with great interest about the progress of these models including the finer details like numbers, names and logos. 

Thank you for all of the help. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 10:24, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

This is a brilliant announcement by Accurascale and KMS. 

I have been thinking for a while about how I would like a couple of GBRf 73/9s for Network Rail test trains, RHTTs and engineers duties, as I already have the appropriate Hornby MK2fs, MK2Ds, Bachmann Generator MK1 Coach, Hattons RHTTs and Dapol JNAs to form these trains. So this is really excellent news, especially to see Accurascale and KMS catering for the NR 73/95s and GBRf & CS 73/96s. I will probably opt for two GBRf 73/96s. 

I have a few questions regarding expressions of interest and pre-ordering.

Do I have to place an expression of interest/s by completing the online form to then be able to place pre-order/s after that? Or can I wait until the pre-ordering opens and still place an order then for the models that I would like to buy?

I ask because I don't want to express interest and then have little notice on when the models will go to the pre-ordering stage, assuming at that point some amount of payment will be required, because I want to make sure that I have the funds available and allocated for these models so that I don't miss out on them. 

Also, are we required to pay a deposit per model at the pre-order stage and if so how much will this be per model? If this is the case will the remaining amount of money per model left to pay, be paid by customers before they are dispatched to us? Lastly, can payments be made for these models in due course via the KMS website?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

i was just waiting for this comment, they’ll look great with your other dozens of pre orders, you do seem to “have three” of every new loco release...

Any chance of seeing your collection, it sounds awesome !

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

An excellent announcement all round from KMS and Accurascale. 

I have expressed an interest for two Caley 73/9's. Having seen them in action at Fort William the past few years a definite purchase had to be made.

An excellent prototype with plenty of character. Always been a fan of the Class 73's and seeing them in Fort William is always a bonus.

Obviously I've had to order the corresponding Accurascale Fort William Mk5 four coach set to accompany ;)

Thanks once again to both parties for making this happen. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

If KMS Railtech wanted a 73/9, I would have thought they would have approached Dapol first. Whether they did and whatever happened next, I am not going to speculate,  as it appears to be a taboo topic on this forum, aside from causing the Moderator a headache.

Perhaps Accurascale just have a very spare manufacturing slot they can fill and Dapol didn't?

How is the Dapol 73 regarded? I’ve only recently reignited my interest by have it in the back of my head that it wasn’t great for some reason?! 

Would this be the springboard to Accurascale producing a superior 73 in the hopefully not to distant future?

Edited by Global

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Courtybella said:

i was just waiting for this comment, they’ll look great with your other dozens of pre orders, you do seem to “have three” of every new loco release...

Any chance of seeing your collection, it sounds awesome !

Haha you all know me so well on this forum. I have to say I do tend to have more than one loco, of each class, in each livery, in most cases. If that makes sense haha. I do have a thread which I started on here a few years ago. If you search 'Danny's OO Gauge Modern Image Layout' in the search bar on RMWeb you should be able to see it. I have put a few photos of some of my fleet on their. It hasn't been updated for quite a while so I have bought quite a few more locos since then that have either been put into service or are still in their boxes waiting for the corresponding coaches and wagons to be released later this year and next year. Thank you for the kind words. What models do you have? Are you steam or modern image?

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, letterspider said:

If KMS Railtech wanted a 73/9, I would have thought they would have approached Dapol first. Whether they did and whatever happened next, I am not going to speculate,  as it appears to be a taboo topic on this forum, aside from causing the Moderator a headache.

Perhaps Accurascale just have a very spare manufacturing slot they can fill and Dapol didn't?

To be honest, both derivatives of the 73/9 feature little in common with the original 73s anyway so it makes sense to go to a new manufacturer for the class. Apart from the bogies, possibly the fuel tanks and cab ends, the rest of the loco is virtually different so would probably count as a new model - more so with the Network Rail versions. 

Also, what with Accurascale producing the Caledonian Sleeper fleet, I would rather Accurascale also produce the 73/9 to go with it too for consistency - Dapols renditions of both Caledonian Sleeper's Midnight Teal & GBRf have been rather "off" so far. 

Edited by surfsup
Paint matching.
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Global said:

How is the Dapol 73 regarded? I’ve only recently reignited my interest by have it in the back of my head that it wasn’t great for some reason?! 

Would this be the springboard to Accurascale producing a superior 73 in the hopefully not to distant future?

The Dapol 73 is generally very nice... that is, when Dapol manage to get the paint shades right... and unfortunately most of the initial production batch couldn't have been any more 'wrong' if they'd tried, on virtually every livery...  :rolleyes: 

There were some wiring/circuitboard issues too on the first production run - the two I had were rather erratic runners; however this latter issue appears to have been rectified on the second production batch - I have the Network Rail variant and it runs very well.

Not wishing to divert this topic away from the Accurascale 73/9 - there's plenty of more in-depth analysis on the appropriate Dapol 73 topic.

Best
Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

They should tap up Hornby to do it.... Maybe faster, cheaper, fits the other coaches.

Yeah as long as it had end lighting/DCC I'd be fairly happy with that, for the money the Hornby ones are good once you appreciate the limitations of how good NR stock would be at that price. I'd be much happier spending MK3 DVT money on one from Hornby than £100+ from somebody better given I'd be pairing it with some Hornby 2Fs

I have worked as a fitter on the NR 73/9 plus help making them as well. The design team need to see them as individual locos because they are not identical! They are a brilliant concept. The GBRF/BRUSH are very different to the (RVEL)Loram/NR 73/9. The bogies are the same but from there that’s it. One of the NR 73/9 there is 28 tubs of filler to get the body side flat and smooth! That on one side! It might be better to scan the two locos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, rorz101uk said:

I have worked as a fitter on the NR 73/9 plus help making them as well. The design team need to see them as individual locos because they are not identical! They are a brilliant concept. The GBRF/BRUSH are very different to the (RVEL)Loram/NR 73/9. The bogies are the same but from there that’s it. One of the NR 73/9 there is 28 tubs of filler to get the body side flat and smooth! That on one side! It might be better to scan the two locos.

Hi there,

Many thanks for that, very cool to be so heavily involved with them! We will of course be conducting in depth surveys of the different types as we do with all our projects should the project get the green light. We are also aware of the vast difference between the Brush builds for GBRf and the NR minions. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 12/10/2020 at 11:43, KMS Railtech said:

We can take payments in stages for all purchases too, if this is of interest. We are also working to provide interest free post purchase payment plans which will be live one the website well before the 73/9 hits the shelves.

As you’re saying it’ll be a 18 month lead time after the go ahead is given and the models will be £180 it’d be great if we could pay £10 a month by standing order or direct debit or something. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

As you’re saying it’ll be a 18 month lead time after the go ahead is given and the models will be £180 it’d be great if we could pay £10 a month by standing order or direct debit or something. 

Thanks for this. Of course you can do this by standing order. We're also looking to add a post payment 0% system - we're evaluating the different suppliers for this at the moment.

• Like 1