Class 73/9, by Accurascale and KMS Railtech

KMS Railtech

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Peter749 said:

The second two locos are Class 92

The different painting of the front ends and bodysides stand out

Peter

In my OP there are 2 photos - with 2x73/9s in each..... (the 2x92s were photo-bombing)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Any further updates on this project? 

I must say I am looking forwards to this coming to fruition and being able to run my rake of Accurascale Caley sleepers with suitable motive power. 

Cheers, 

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 18/02/2021 at 22:00, 46444 said:

Any further updates on this project? 

I must say I am looking forwards to this coming to fruition and being able to run my rake of Accurascale Caley sleepers with suitable motive power. 

Cheers, 

Mark

I'd also love to know the likelihood of this coming to fruition? Also got a rake of mk5's on order that need these!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 18/06/2021 at 10:02, Henners84 said:

Keen if you will consider 80/90s intercity versions. I'm not a fan of dapols model plus they don't quite do the intercity livery I'm after (prefer yellow front and not full yellow cab) 

I am intrigued by this comment. Dapol's 73 is a beautiful model...the second batch addressed the extensively commented on 'issues' to the original release and I suspect we shall see a number of years of future well received releases. The 7395x and 7396x (both strikingly difference from each other in the same TOPS sub-class) are an interesting proposal, yet very different from the 73/0, 73/1 & 73/2... If the Intercity livery w/syp is a popular model, I am sure it shall come along. Otherwise, have you checked out Rainbow Railways or Olivias's for some nice re-sprays? Could use the Olivia's exclusive edition of the Gatwick Express as your base to re-decal and add a red stripe? 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 159220 said:

I am intrigued by this comment. Dapol's 73 is a beautiful model...the second batch addressed the extensively commented on 'issues' to the original release and I suspect we shall see a number of years of future well received releases. The 7395x and 7396x (both strikingly difference from each other in the same TOPS sub-class) are an interesting proposal, yet very different from the 73/0, 73/1 & 73/2... If the Intercity livery w/syp is a popular model, I am sure it shall come along. Otherwise, have you checked out Rainbow Railways or Olivias's for some nice re-sprays? Could use the Olivia's exclusive edition of the Gatwick Express as your base to re-decal and add a red stripe? 

Did the second batch correct both issues? I've heard mixed reviews from people who have purchased the second batch. Were the pickup and bogie issues corrected (ie redesigned) or just made slightly less bad? 

I must admit to finding Olivia's pricing strategy too steep on a number of items and hence I never check them anymore. I would also prefer a rtr model to be materially correct on livery accuracy (inc colour matching which I think Dapol often struggle with) 

14 hours ago, Henners84 said:

Did the second batch correct both issues? I've heard mixed reviews from people who have purchased the second batch. Were the pickup and bogie issues corrected (ie redesigned) or just made slightly less bad? 

I must admit to finding Olivia's pricing strategy too steep on a number of items and hence I never check them anymore. I would also prefer a rtr model to be materially correct on livery accuracy (inc colour matching which I think Dapol often struggle with) 

Hi,

Yes, the faults on the first batch have fixes by the second batch.

I’ve got 2 from the first batch and 2 from the second batch. At the last exhibition they ran at, the first batch ones were back in their boxes within 15 minutes of opening as they just didn’t work well, the second batch ones ran faultlessly all weekend, far better!

The liveries on the second batch seem bang on to me as well.

However, I would rather see an Accurascale 73/9 than a Dapol to be honest!

Simon

1 hour ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Yes, the faults on the first batch have fixes by the second batch.

I’ve got 2 from the first batch and 2 from the second batch. At the last exhibition they ran at, the first batch ones were back in their boxes within 15 minutes of opening as they just didn’t work well, the second batch ones ran faultlessly all weekend, far better!

The liveries on the second batch seem bang on to me as well.

However, I would rather see an Accurascale 73/9 than a Dapol to be honest!

Simon

Interesting, maybe I should be more bullish re Dapol then?! Strangely I've been reasonable impressed with them in n gauge (felt they have been innovative and reasonably priced) but less impressed now I move to oo. 

Here's hoping Dapol do a third batch in that intercity livery I'm interested in (would presume would be a popular livery choice?) 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, letterspider said:

A correct blue and yellow livery doen't seem to be very much to ask for?!

I've got a correctly liveried Blue with Yellow ends model from the first batch.....

.....all I had to do was repaint the Blue.......

....... and the Yellow ends !!!!!  :blink:

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, letterspider said:

A correct blue and yellow livery doen't seem to be very much to ask for?!

Completely agree as all they need to do is Google a picture to check if correct or not before they sign off for production 

• RMweb Premium

Definitely interested and an EOI has been registered for one of the GBRf versions...the 73s are my favourite locos, and I see them quite frequently through my local station.

One question around the DCC sound. Will it have both the diesel engine and electric motors sound?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Henners84 said:

Completely agree as all they need to do is Google a picture to check if correct or not before they sign off for production 

Wrong!  The worst thing you can do is colour-match to a photograph.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Henners84 said:

Why? 

In-fact, just noticed you used the word 'colour-matched'. Possibly my fault. Agree not ideal to use photos to get colours correct (they distort, do not take into consideration light and shade and also do not factor in the effect of the base undercoat or plastic shell and probably a number of other reasons). My comment was more in relation to using photos to paint the right bits the right colour (what bits should be blue, yellow etc...) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, reddragon said:

Only just discovered this thread! Down for 1.

Therein lies the problem, KMS just arent pushing this as hard as they should be. All of the stock they have that other retailers and manufacturers have sold out of attests to this

• Like 1

Something doesn't add up to me with this project. Why is interest being asked for for such a unique product (just the 73/9)? Surely it would be much more efficient to come up with tooling differences for other earlier 73s,especially as that seems to be accurascale's usp (getting the details across variants correct, eg their class 37 proposition)? Then the pool of potential purchasers would open up (including me). I know Dapol has a 73 but only some like it. Accurascale is competing head to head with Dapol on the gwr Manor (and I'm sure accurascale may win that fight). Why not open up for many more class 73 variants. 

I've registered my interest in any case hoping earlier 73s will be built

• Like 2