Class 73/9, by Accurascale and KMS Railtech

KMS Railtech

3 hours ago, Henners84 said:

Something doesn't add up to me with this project.

I'm interested in the Caledonian Sleeper coaches but at the moment it really depends on if the 73/9 is going to be produced.  I wonder how many feel similar?  An educated guess says that it would be in Accurascale's interests to produce the 73/9, one way or another...

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
On 20/06/2021 at 15:33, Phil Mc said:

I've got a correctly liveried Blue with Yellow ends model from the first batch.....

.....all I had to do was repaint the Blue.......

....... and the Yellow ends !!!!!  :blink:

Cheers,

Phil.

Mine was purple and lemon! Which put next to their turquoise class 22 was quite noticable.......They are now an acceptable shade of rail blue after a bit of deft brushwork, and fit into the range of shades from other manufacturers satisfactorily.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, YesTor said:

I'm interested in the Caledonian Sleeper coaches but at the moment it really depends on if the 73/9 is going to be produced.  I wonder how many feel similar?  An educated guess says that it would be in Accurascale's interests to produce the 73/9, one way or another...

I think because of the 92's they have got potential buyers, but only for those with big layouts. To open it up to people who want shorter trains the 73/9's will do that, but depends on if the orders for the Mk.5's are strong enough which I think they will be without the 73/9's. But demand could be stronger for the 73/9's once the coaches are out because lots of people could have not registered an interest in the project and assumed it would go ahead in the meantime it means just waiting a bit longer...

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, XChris said:

I think because of the 92's they have got potential buyers, but only for those with big layouts. To open it up to people who want shorter trains the 73/9's will do that, but depends on if the orders for the Mk.5's are strong enough which I think they will be without the 73/9's. But demand could be stronger for the 73/9's once the coaches are out because lots of people could have not registered an interest in the project and assumed it would go ahead in the meantime it means just waiting a bit longer...

Yep, I will probably have a pack of 6 CS ones to go behind 92020, but if they did a 73/9 then I'd also be keen on one of those.

I do also think the GBRF and NR ones will be popular for test trains.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Yep, I will probably have a pack of 6 CS ones to go behind 92020, but if they did a 73/9 then I'd also be keen on one of those.

I do also think the GBRF and NR ones will be popular for test trains.

I'm not going to lie, I'm only after the NR & GBRF ones as I'm not doing Scottish regions, I do have a rake of Mk.3 sleeper vehicles building up for various traction to go on though...

• RMweb Premium

Scottish modelling is very popular with the loco hauled trains generally being manageable for smaller layouts. 

I agree that personally I feel accurascale should be making the 73/9 regardless to go with the Mk5's as for most a Fort William/Aberdeen rake is manageable but not much bigger. It should be advertised alongside the Mk5 updates. i.e PS be sure to look at our class 92's xxx / xxx / xxx and express interest in KMS's class 73/9 for realistic traction options.

I'd understand not going for the full suite of 73's at this stage as there are a number of differences. (look at the class 69 thread before Cavalex announced their class 56 as there was significant debate around whether it would actually be easy for Bachmann to go down the class 56 route) but the GBRF and NR ones do make sense as they are quite well travelled.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, XChris said:

I'm not going to lie, I'm only after the NR & GBRF ones as I'm not doing Scottish regions, I do have a rake of Mk.3 sleeper vehicles building up for various traction to go on though...

I don't really do Scotland TBH (Yorkshire ECML) but some of my stock covers Scotland (at least when it turns up) and a 73 would be a good one to have. They have at least run light up and down the ECML too in the past.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I don't really do Scotland TBH (Yorkshire ECML) but some of my stock covers Scotland (at least when it turns up) and a 73 would be a good one to have. They have at least run light up and down the ECML too in the past.

Actually seen more 73's through Newcastle than in Scotland... ...that may be due to my office overlooking the station which wasn't the deciding factor in taking the job at all :P

• Funny 2

On 16/07/2021 at 16:41, E100 said:

Actually seen more 73's through Newcastle than in Scotland... ...that may be due to my office overlooking the station which wasn't the deciding factor in taking the job at all :P

You must have pretty good eyesight if you can monitor trains running in Scotland from your office in Newcastle:dancer:

• Funny 3

11 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

You must have pretty good eyesight if you can monitor trains running in Scotland from your office in Newcastle:dancer:

I think they've built some taller office blocks there since I left the area over half a century ago.  On a clear day you used to be able to see all the way to Gateshead.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I think they've built some taller office blocks there since I left the area over half a century ago.  On a clear day you used to be able to see all the way to Gateshead.

pahahaha - amazing ref

Some nice footage with the two accurascale 92's (not mine) 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/07/2021 at 16:46, YesTor said:

Ditto mate. I'm only wanting a pack of Mk5s if there's a 73/9 to go with them. Catch 22.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, JackB95 said:

Ditto mate. I'm only wanting a pack of Mk5s if there's a 73/9 to go with them. Catch 22.

I would agree with that sentiment totally. 

The 73/9 is the deal breaker when I'm wanting to model a Fort William consist.  I have expressed an interest for two of them. 

I have a set of Mk5 sleepers on order with Accurascale but the lack of information regarding suitable motive power is worrying. 

Would some form of reassurance about the progress of the 73/9 project from either party be forthcoming? It would be most welcome.

This is a project that deserves to succeed. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

while this thread appears in our forum we are merely spectators in this project with KMS the project drivers. 

The future of this project is entirely in your hands and KMS will only proceed if they have enough expressions of interest. 

The form can be found here

https://forms.gle/YLHhwEshCDFanYoV8

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, 46444 said:

I would agree with that sentiment totally. 

The 73/9 is the deal breaker when I'm wanting to model a Fort William consist.  I have expressed an interest for two of them. 

I have a set of Mk5 sleepers on order with Accurascale but the lack of information regarding suitable motive power is worrying. 

Would some form of reassurance about the progress of the 73/9 project from either party be forthcoming? It would be most welcome.

While I understand the reasoning there is a risk that it becomes a chicken and egg conundrum ie which comes first!  It is rare that even if models come from the same manufacturer that they all appear at the same time. 

The Mk5s have been hauled by a fair few different locos now so while the 73/9s are ultimately needed for north of Edinburgh they are not essential for other areas. 

• Like 2

KMS Project Update just been published stating the following:

Accurascale 73/9: 

We are currently still at the ‘expression of interest’ phase with this project but will be announcing our decision regarding the progression of this project very soon. In the meantime if you haven't registered your interest you can do so here

Get your interests in folks. This is a great opportunity that, hopefully, will produce another great model.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JackB95 said:

KMS Project Update just been published stating the following:

Get your interests in folks. This is a great opportunity that, hopefully, will produce another great model.

Brilliant news and great to hear a long awaited update on this project. 

This is a real chance to have a quality Accurascale model of this distinctive Class 73 variant produced for KMS. 

All variants offer a distinctive and widely travelled prototype. 

Here's to the next update ;)

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 1

On 20/06/2021 at 16:36, Henners84 said:

Completely agree as all they need to do is Google a picture to check if correct or not before they sign off for production 

Two pictures of the same loco at the same time off Facebook

92033 1.jpg

92033 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Graham108 said:

I'll be mightily impressed if A/S (or KMS) can replicate that paint effect 

It's not a paint effect as far as I can see, I think the point more was that different lighting/different angles/different camera settings (potentially different cameras) means photos are not a reliable method for getting paint colours.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

It's not a paint effect as far as I can see, I think the point more was that different lighting/different angles/different camera settings (potentially different cameras) means photos are not a reliable method for getting paint colours.

Different camera sensors pick up colours differently. Also as you say, the settings will make the world a difference. Just take a picture in 'tungsten mode' and 'daylight mode' and 'cloudy mode' and you'll see the difference.

One great example of this is the Arriva TW colours. I shan't spam this thread with pictures of Alstom's infamous hippos, but a search on Flickr shows the colour problem really well. Some cameras make it look blue, some make it look green, and some pick it up perfectly. And of course not forgetting everyone's eyes and brains perceive colours differently too.

Some colours scale down well on models, some don't. The world is a funny place, but I have every confidence in Accurascale doing what they do best - accuracy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

That's what I was implying - probably didn't come across right

• 3 weeks later...