Class 73/9, by Accurascale and KMS Railtech

KMS Railtech

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The scottish ones have less cabling on the front (and no shoes), plus dellners & ploughs

Technically it's the same amount of cabling, just a lot less pipework ;)

There is also their transitionary status as well, with the drop head buckeye and Pullman rubbing plate pre-dellner conversion.

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to answer the following! 

8 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Interested to know if they mean that they plan on doing the 2x RVEL built network rail versions.

the sound file will need to be different also for each type. MTU engines vs cummins QSK’s 

KMS Railtech have approached us to do both the GB Railfreight/Caledonian Sleeper and the Network Rail Minions and we are aware that they're both quite different beasts. 

Like the ROS Class 89, this is a third party project, so all questions regarding these beauties are best directed at KMS Railtech. They're both cracking locomotives though and it would be great to get them into production. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

This is a brilliant announcement by Accurascale and KMS. 

I have been thinking for a while about how I would like a couple of GBRf 73/9s for Network Rail test trains, RHTTs and engineers duties, as I already have the appropriate Hornby MK2fs, MK2Ds, Bachmann Generator MK1 Coach, Hattons RHTTs and Dapol JNAs to form these trains. So this is really excellent news, especially to see Accurascale and KMS catering for the NR 73/95s and GBRf & CS 73/96s. I will probably opt for two GBRf 73/96s. 

I have a few questions regarding expressions of interest and pre-ordering.

Do I have to place an expression of interest/s by completing the online form to then be able to place pre-order/s after that? Or can I wait until the pre-ordering opens and still place an order then for the models that I would like to buy?

I ask because I don't want to express interest and then have little notice on when the models will go to the pre-ordering stage, assuming at that point some amount of payment will be required, because I want to make sure that I have the funds available and allocated for these models so that I don't miss out on them. 

Also, are we required to pay a deposit per model at the pre-order stage and if so how much will this be per model? If this is the case will the remaining amount of money per model left to pay, be paid by customers before they are dispatched to us? Lastly, can payments be made for these models in due course via the KMS website?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Interested to know if they mean that they plan on doing the 2x RVEL built network rail versions.

the sound file will need to be different also for each type. MTU engines vs cummins QSK’s 

Single MTU versus 2x QSKs.....

Edited by newbryford

58 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to answer the following! 

KMS Railtech have approached us to do both the GB Railfreight/Caledonian Sleeper and the Network Rail Minions and we are aware that they're both quite different beasts. 

Like the ROS Class 89, this is a third party project, so all questions regarding these beauties are best directed at KMS Railtech. They're both cracking locomotives though and it would be great to get them into production. 

Cheers!

Fran

Excellent! Many thanks for clearing that up! Amazing!

1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

This is a brilliant announcement by Accurascale and KMS. 

I have been thinking for a while about how I would like a couple of GBRf 73/9s for Network Rail test trains, RHTTs and engineers duties, as I already have the appropriate Hornby MK2fs, MK2Ds, Bachmann Generator MK1 Coach, Hattons RHTTs and Dapol JNAs to form these trains. So this is really excellent news, especially to see Accurascale and KMS catering for the NR 73/95s and GBRf & CS 73/96s. I will probably opt for two GBRf 73/96s. 

I have a few questions regarding expressions of interest and pre-ordering.

Do I have to place an expression of interest/s by completing the online form to then be able to place pre-order/s after that? Or can I wait until the pre-ordering opens and still place an order then for the models that I would like to buy?

I ask because I don't want to express interest and then have little notice on when the models will go to the pre-ordering stage, assuming at that point some amount of payment will be required, because I want to make sure that I have the funds available and allocated for these models so that I don't miss out on them. 

Also, are we required to pay a deposit per model at the pre-order stage and if so how much will this be per model? If this is the case will the remaining amount of money per model left to pay, be paid by customers before they are dispatched to us? Lastly, can payments be made for these models in due course via the KMS website?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Hi Danny, thanks for your interest in the 73/9!

You do not "have" to fill in the EIO form, however we will use this to decide whether to ahead or not. If we do go ahead, we will use the information your provide to let you know the project is to progress allowing you plenty of time to place an order.

We are not 100% sure on the deposits for this model yet. Where possible we are trying to offer exclusives with no deposit however the investment required for a run of locomotives this big will most likely require some sort of commitment - obviously we will keep this to a minimum and the more orders we have the smaller this deposit will be.

We can take payments in stages for all purchases too, if this is of interest. We are also working to provide interest free post purchase payment plans which will be live one the website well before the 73/9 hits the shelves.

Please let us know if we can help any further.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have filled the form in and said 1x CS. Shooting down the middle and it could be anywhere from 0 to 3 I end up with!

Any idea how long the EOI will last for before a decision is made? I'd expect that some people (me included) will be wanting to order Mk5 CS coaches knowing these are a possibility but not wanting to commit before it's certain.

I know I'll be able to run them with a 92 but really the CS Mk5 and 73 are almost excuses for each other to me!

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KMS Railtech said:

Hi Danny, thanks for your interest in the 73/9!

You do not "have" to fill in the EIO form, however we will use this to decide whether to ahead or not. If we do go ahead, we will use the information your provide to let you know the project is to progress allowing you plenty of time to place an order.

We are not 100% sure on the deposits for this model yet. Where possible we are trying to offer exclusives with no deposit however the investment required for a run of locomotives this big will most likely require some sort of commitment - obviously we will keep this to a minimum and the more orders we have the smaller this deposit will be.

We can take payments in stages for all purchases too, if this is of interest. We are also working to provide interest free post purchase payment plans which will be live one the website well before the 73/9 hits the shelves.

Please let us know if we can help any further.

Thank you for the reply and the help. I really appreciate it. 

So just to confirm, if we do place an expression of interest, then we have to properly commit via a pre-order and possibly a small payment further down the line? If so that's perfect because I just wouldn't want to commit and then be asked for payment via pre-ordering soon after, depending upon how quickly the model progresses in development. Not that the small possible payment of deposit/s is an issue but it's more how soon the models would be complete and arrive afterwards, thus payment in full would be required. But, as you say the models are likely to be at least 18 months away which takes us to April 2022 before they would be delivered and you would give us ample time and notice for making payments etc, so that's perfect. 

Just thought of another question. If we wish to change our choices on the pre-order form when compared to the initial expression of interest form, will this be possible to do? I ask because I would really like both GBRf 73/96s but if at the time I have some additional funds I may opt for the NR 73s or CS 73s too. 

A deposit of a nominal fee per loco would be brilliant because I am sure it would be near enough or in line with Accurascale and their £30 deposits. Let us know about the payment plans and options when you have decided, because they may be useful for myself and others. 

Also, as a last comment regarding the GBRf 73/96s will they have the original Europorte logos on or the new and current 'line' branding both above and below the 'GB RailFreight' lettering? Will their be an option to vote on which numbers are produced from the five GBRf 73s and six CS 73s or will you just decide on which numbers, names and logos are produced? I ask because from the GBRf five, four are named and one isn't. 61, 62, 63 and 64 are currently named whilst 65 isn't. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Just thought of another question. If we wish to change our choices on the pre-order form when compared to the initial expression of interest form, will this be possible to do? I ask because I would really like both GBRf 73/96s but if at the time I have some additional funds I may opt for the NR 73s or CS 73s too. 

3 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Also, as a last comment regarding the GBRf 73/96s will they have the original Europorte logos on or the new and current 'line' branding both above and below the 'GB RailFreight' lettering? Will their be an option to vote on which numbers are produced from the five GBRf 73s and six CS 73s or will you just decide on which numbers, names and logos are produced? I ask because from the GBRf five, four are named and one isn't. 61, 62, 63 and 64 are currently named whilst 65 isn't. 

Thanks Danny.

Of course, you will be able to change which ones you order at the time. It is not a crowdfunding project where you will only get the item you ordered, we will try to have some for stock also. However, it is also important that pre-orders are made for those that are committed as without these, it is unlikely that the project will go ahead.

With regards numbers, we are a little away from that yet. It is possible that we do more than two numbers too depending on demand!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I have filled the form in and said 1x CS. Shooting down the middle and it could be anywhere from 0 to 3 I end up with!

Any idea how long the EOI will last for before a decision is made? I'd expect that some people (me included) will be wanting to order Mk5 CS coaches knowing these are a possibility but not wanting to commit before it's certain.

I know I'll be able to run them with a 92 but really the CS Mk5 and 73 are almost excuses for each other to me!

We couldn't agree more about the MK5 and 73! There will be some 16 coach rakes being hauled by 73s on our layouts with no OHLE :D

The EOI is going very well so far. So hopefully the EOI stage won't be too long before we can move to a pre order system. We would imagine that this stage will be for a little longer than the EOI.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Very well put, if I may say so! Dapol asked if enough people would be interested in 73/9s some time ago. Possibly not enough were or possibly Dapol still has it on the back burner. Now, of course,  the availability of the Mk. Vs changes everything. EoIs are not binding, of course, but, like yourself, I don’t like to express an interest until I’m fairly sure I’ll be able to buy. It’s time to do sums and decide how to cut down from, “I want them all”.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Is anyone aware of a time where they have been through Yorkshire on the ECML? I am thinking they are out of region for me.

flickr is your friend. Here's at least 4 of the CS 73/9s

DSC_1013 Convoy

73967+970 0Z73 dringhouses 10.10.2017

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, TomScrut said:

As weird as it would seem, GBRF 73s have done between Harrogate and York on NR test trains a few years ago.

73951 with 73952, & 73961 with 73962, have worked TnT on NR test trains between Sheffield & Leeds via Barnsley !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, newbryford said:

flickr is your friend. Here's at least 4 of the CS 73/9s

DSC_1013 Convoy

73967+970 0Z73 dringhouses 10.10.2017

Sorry I was specifically meaning the NR ones, I thought the term minion was reserved for those two.

I knew about the CS ones, and I know the GBRF ones have been to York too.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Sorry I was specifically meaning the NR ones, I thought the term minion was reserved for those two.

I knew about the CS ones, and I know the GBRF ones have been to York too.

Flickr is again - your friend.

73951 sits at Moorthorpe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Much prettier than the original face of a 73 though......

Nope these ones definitely hit every branch of the ugly tree on the way down ;) Mingions :D

Shame as normally 73s are aesthetically pleasing.

I do like the CS livery. Step away from the EOI....

• Like 1
  • Funny 3