Flat, Satin or Semi-gloss for final coat on OO scale figures

I know this is an opinion/experience question but I'll ask anyway.  Most commonly it is recommended to give painted OO figures a final coat of clear flat (e.g., Dullcoat).   I have tried both semi-flat (too close to dead flat in my opinion) and satin (e.g. Humbrol or Vallejo).  In my opinion -- clearly noted as opinion --I find satin seems just a bit more realistic -- especially under the artificial lighting we use for layouts and exhibitions.  In passing, I also use satin for the painted parts (not metal like radiators) of Oxford Diecast autos. Looks less toy-like at viewing distance.  So......, please share your opinions/experience on figure and vehicle final finishes.  Thanks

George

North Carolina

You are right George, it is an opinion thing.  I would use flat paint on figures.  I prime with grey first.

After painting, I find an application of black wash gives the figure more life.

P1010002.JPG.69daddb4ecba4588c5ee93491cf9b1ce.JPG

I would grade my figures as adequate.  They look shiny in the pic because of the lighting.

John

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I use matt for people personally and like John, lots of grubby washes.

For metal such as vehicles or diesels, I flatten down the paint finish with 2000 grade wet and dry (wet) then buff slightly to give a slight sheen which looks different to any sort of varnish.

I'm modelling 7mm which is slightly different admittedly: satin would probably be similar on 00 cars.

• Informative/Useful 1

People, in general, aren't shiny, either skin or clothing. Even something as traditionally polished as shoes aren't really more than satin, unless the wearer is current or former armed forces. 

Similarly cars. Aside from at shows, or in showrooms, if you look closely and see what is actually there, rather than what you expect, gloss levels are not that high. This was particularly the case in the past, when paint technology was less advanced and durable. Growing up in the 70s and 80s, many older cars (say pre-1970) were definitely satin at best, in their greys, blacks and dark greens and blues. Indeed, so used was I to unshiny grey cars, when I first watched the film Two Lane Blacktop, in my mid-teens, I didn't realise the starring '55 Chev was actually in grey primer. I thought that was just what grey cars looked like :D

• Funny 1

13 minutes ago, PatB said:

People, in general, aren't shiny, either skin or clothing. Even something as traditionally polished as shoes aren't really more than satin, unless the wearer is current or former armed forces. 

Similarly cars. Aside from at shows, or in showrooms, if you look closely and see what is actually there, rather than what you expect, gloss levels are not that high. This was particularly the case in the past, when paint technology was less advanced and durable. Growing up in the 70s and 80s, many older cars (say pre-1970) were definitely satin at best, in their greys, blacks and dark greens and blues. Indeed, so used was I to unshiny grey cars, when I first watched the film Two Lane Blacktop, in my mid-teens, I didn't realise the starring '55 Chev was actually in grey primer. I thought that was just what grey cars looked like :D

Two lane blacktop, haven't seen that for years, have to search it out now! From the easy rider vanishing point era.

I think matt is best, certainly 00 or smaller. Faces in a larger scale could be a bit shiny perhaps. However clothes best as totally matt, otherwise looks like early brittains figures.