Planning a small TMD

nhdesigns

I've considered and haven't been able to stop thinking about making a small to modest size TMD and basically have some sort of an idea in place for something around 6ft by 2ft or longer if possible. I got the time period and location in mind so it's not going to be a large one like Old Oak Common or Neville Hill etc. I've seen this plan on freetrackplans.com and I can see it working in a way for what I have. I intend to have as a pit stop in a way for diesels going on my main layout and Electrics as well as, possibly, one or two car DMUs for a quick service during duties. 

As time period goes I'm mostly going to be having it as one set in the BR days of sectorisation with early BR blue appearing as well.

Most of the locos that would be using it would be the loco hauled type engines, such as 47s, 56s, 86s and 87s and 90s. As far as DMUs they'd mostly be class 150, 153, 156 and 158 units. As far as electrics are concerned, I intend to have a small section of cateneray going over towards a head shunt line and then have them moved around by a class 08 and then back to the electrified headshunt where they would go on.

I've included a track plan link here to show what it is I'm considering and just want to know if anyone has any suggestions or advice on making one like this. Only because I'm rather new to making a TMD type layout and want it to look and feel right. I know I have a TMD building and a shunters mess room in mind but should there be anything else I can add. Like a washing plant or fuel storage tanks and fuel point.

The plan I have looked at and like can be seen here:

https://freetrackplans.com/151-6x1-diesel-depot.html

Again any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks everyone

There’s a million of them on here and in general, for you to look at as very popular diesel layouts. 

track plan is ok, but a small set up, would have a fuelling point well before sheds/ more heavy engineering, after all its for quick servicing you say which generally means fuel, brake blocks, a checks that kinda thing - I think they used to have to have an inspection pit for the check.

google didcot tmd or depot, that was set up in the early 90s.

• Like 1

Hi,

In what scale are you modelling? I have Shirebrook Depot as the centre piece of my layout (see links below). In N scale it is 6ft in length. To model a depot and include all your list you will need a larger space to avoid it looking cramped up.

Cheers

Duncan

Agree with both of the above - my layout (Long Ashton) is fairly similar, as a sort of stop off between a larger off scene mainline and a storage / marshalling yard (think Long Marston / Tyne Yard depending on mood). 

I’d look at something like Tees Yard WRD / March Depot for a couple of ideas. Tees has a fuel point and a shed on hard standing for light repairs (wagons and locos) but you’re probably not talking about washing / heavy lifting and engineering until you get into the realms of the bigger depots. Couple of lifting jacks and maybe some tool racking up to (at a push) a lighter fixed hoist / crane. 

That said, being pre-privatisation you can probably argue for a little more local infrastructure than the ‘man in a van’ setup common nowadays... Fuel point will be contentious- rail served adds a bit of interest shuffling TTAs in and out (think Ipswich) but most seem to have moved to road service by the 90s and again a good number of LMDs / WRDs wouldn’t have anything similar. That said, rule 1!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Here is a small TMD layout I built earlier this year during lockdown. 'Ashtown TMD' . Features a small servicing shed, fuelling point and oil storage tanks. Total length including fiddle yard is 9ft.

A few years ago I built Tees Yard WRD with a small fuelling point and wagon repair depot. The fuelling point is a where the red class 66 is stabled.  Also 9ft.

atmd 13.5.20 - 2 001.JPG

tywrd 4.11.15 001.JPG

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi,

In what scale are you modelling? I have Shirebrook Depot as the centre piece of my layout (see links below). In N scale it is 6ft in length. To model a depot and include all your list you will need a larger space to avoid it looking cramped up.

Cheers

Duncan

I have said that I'm modelling it in OO gauge in a way and I have enough space in length to extend outwards if needed.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far and given me some advice. I have used AnyRail to make up a plan for a small TMD. The time period I'm modelling will be the same with this as with my main layout, which is mainly the 1980s to present day in a way but with more focus on the 1980s and 1990s. I have opted to keep it small and rather compact in a way because the intended location would be urban in a way, where it would be limited in space and able to just give quick maintenance and services, with potential to add to a future layout. As far as size is concerned, I intend on having it small and compact with it being 6ft by 1ft or more if needed.

405960183_TMDPlanA.jpg.f931994c6c8de1efae99a46fdcf0ba6a.jpg

The plan I have here is a little more compact in width, which I can alter if needed. This one does feature a fuel point on its own lines seperate from the main TMD and service lines. This would possibly allow for diesels to go for re-fueling without having to go via the depot lines. Overall size of this would be 72" by 18" I am able to extend the width a little more to have more of a scene towards the rear like house backs or a industrial site.

TMD Plan.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

That’s not a bad plan . Wash plants tend to be drive through rather than kick back . I’d be tempted to make two entry , exit roads and put the fuel between them as for obvious reasons it’s operationally better to be able to get them out again . Too blue depot entry, bottom depot departure. Red = fuel point 

ACC57586-0FBF-4A35-AB79-5146886AB4B3.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

17 hours ago, Andrew P said:

A couple of ideas for you, both in OO.

Kingsmill (Midland) TMD.

IMG_8402.JPG.24e88ec12f4a6574e6768adbea565c71.JPG

1712644005_Kingsmill(MidlandRoad)TMDFINALPLAN.png.b138e21e14847420f4d5c2c141b9ede3.png

And West Shed.

381283804_WRPhotoShoot037.JPG.3511eb9d6f87f6f6186559fc6217975c.JPG

1878378615_MagTrackPlan.png.1e905d9505113ee304c1eae5f6208270.png

Oh wow that's incredible! I certainly do like the look of the Kingsmill TMD. That's pretty much the sort of thing I'm looking at doing myself. Thanks ever so much for sharing this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nhdesigns said:

Oh wow that's incredible! I certainly do like the look of the Kingsmill TMD. That's pretty much the sort of thing I'm looking at doing myself. Thanks ever so much for sharing this.

Check out the thread in my Signature, it explains it all, and feel free to pinch the plan or ideas, providing you PAY THE ROYALITES, hahah:laugh::good:

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some super stuff on here. I have a loco collecting addiction, so thought it best to start a little lockdown project to run them around on, and Nifkin's Bridge TMD was born. Currently working on the knitting, with some lights to emerge soon as well.

Side 3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Small depot?

Pig Lane, 6ft by 19ins.

Pig Lane (BR Western Region)  6ft 8 1/2 ins by 1 ft.

Tinsley Servicing Shed (the little one by the hump) 23 ft long 3 ft wide, would have been a scale model. Depots are not small.

Ranelagh Bridge 8ft by 2 and a bit ft slightly under full length as I used Peco points.

Hanging Hill 16ft by 2ft. Not so small depot.

All have the same feature a drive through fuel point, look at most real depot plans and refueling and servicing is a one way system. One of the common faults of many small depots is the most important aspect of the depots work and that is the fuel point. Too many models have it tucked away in the corner and a dead end siding. Think about when you go to Sainsbury's to get your petrol/diesel if it was a dead end system and you had to wait for the bloke behind you to fill up and buy his fags and then reverse you would be well upset. Now consider a loco all ready to go on its next duty having to wait for the one behind it to be refueled. It is earning any money sitting there waiting. 

I am sure some will point to Shirebrook, Hitchin, Frodingham, Cambridge St. etc where the refueling took place on dead end lines, that is why I underlined most.

Brisbane Rd 8ft by 2ft.

Another trap many fall into is the capacity of the fuel tanks being smaller than the three TTA parked in front of the static tanks.

There loads of books and the excellent On Shed bookzines about diesel depots, please use them. When using photos don't look at the loco but the stuff behind it.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3