Laminate flooring as a baseboard material?

• RMweb Gold

As I'm in the process of replacing the kitchen flooring, I have a large quantity of 8mm, 95mm wide laminate tongue and groove planks.

Has anyone ever used this to make baseboards ?

I'm thinking it could be used for a sandwich side/end beams style open framework, with suitable softwood core and corner pieces.

Any experience or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Edited by Stubby47

• Stubby47 changed the title to Laminate flooring as a baseboard material?

Heavy, dreadful to cut, needs a pilot hole for every screw, warps, no load bearing properties other than for being walked on in the flat. 

That's just from using it for floors, I wouldn't go near it for baseboards. I know it's annoying just chucking it out though. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, it's always good to reuse. I think this stuff varies in quality, but what I've used has been very tough and hard. The kitchen variety is usually damp resistant.

With panels that size, yes I would use it to make an open framework. I normally go for girders 100mm deep, so 95mm is very close. 

It's just such hard stuff to use and if it's MDF, not good to screw into.

I prefer ply,  but given that you have this stuff, give it a go and see what happens.

Ian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys, much food for thought.

For sticking it together,  I could use the brass screws with brass cups, and make a feature of them ( at least on the viewing side), so yes they'd near clearance holes. 

4ft x 2ft, x 2 planks per side shouldn't be too heavy, end pieces might be thick ply anyway to allow for dowels / locating pins.

At the moment it's just an idea, but would be worth saving a few pieces rather than chucking the lot.

I don’t like throwing anything away, particularly at the moment when it’s difficult to arrange to buy stuff. I cut old laminate into squares and use the mdf side as a disposable work bench cover for soldering, gluing, painting etc. Also if you have a plunge cut saw it makes a great sacrificial top or you can temporarily fit a couple of pieces together to make a clean flat worktop. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Does terrible things to saws.  Each time my son lays a laminate floor he borrows my mitre saw which despite having a tungsten carbide tipped blade requires a trip to the saw doctor for a re-sharpen each time.  I have a spare pack of laminate after flooring my train shed but think they will stay spare unless there is a catastrophe.  I do however use odd bits for jig making where their stability (if kept dry) can be of benefit.

Tony Comber

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I use off cuts as building boards for making track, even use a couple clicked together to make long wide boards for formations

The wide 300mm would be the best and choose a make that has a flat rear (makes differ). They will still need bracing, but would be fine if a cork or closed cell foam track bed is used. Look out for damaged packs at DIY stores, they can be very cheap

• Thanks 1