O gauge Class 2251 'Collett Goods' 0-6-0

BECMAYE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, GWR57xx said:

No mention of the 2251 on Tower Models' updated Heljan release schedule yesterday :mellow:

Given the impact Covid has had and the fact all the new stuff is taking c3 years anyway, some time after that list in 2023 wouldn't be entirely surprising.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Does anyone know of any news about these? Whenever I have watched a virtual show video update from Heljan there has been no mention of these at all. It seems like Heljan are just focusing on the diesels in the O gauge market - I guess that is understandable if that is where the market is?

Just would really like one of these :)

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, BECMAYE said:

It seems like Heljan are just focusing on the diesels in the O gauge market - I guess that is understandable if that is where the market is?

The mogul still hasn't sold out yet, the prairie tanks were discounted and there are literally hundreds of Hattons pacifics unsold, so I'm slightly surprised they are contemplating any further steam locos to be honest.

• 1 month later...
On 23/05/2021 at 10:15, Hal Nail said:

The mogul still hasn't sold out yet, the prairie tanks were discounted and there are literally hundreds of Hattons pacifics unsold, so I'm slightly surprised they are contemplating any further steam locos to be honest.

Many people, particularly those of my age tend to model what they saw when in their teens or early 20's which fort many of us means blue diesel which is why I think there remains strong demand for these models and perhaps less so for steam although GWR always seemed to sell perhaps less so for O gauge. Of course the eye watering prices may have something to do with it. I see Heljan have notified an increase on the 73 and its getting to the point where we are talking silly money. Particularly as Dapol seem to be able to make the 66, a large Co-Co, for half the price of the 73 despite recent increases.

Paul R

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pwr said:

Many people, particularly those of my age tend to model what they saw when in their teens or early 20's which fort many of us means blue diesel which is why I think there remains strong demand for these models and perhaps less so for steam although GWR always seemed to sell perhaps less so for O gauge. Of course the eye watering prices may have something to do with it. I see Heljan have notified an increase on the 73 and its getting to the point where we are talking silly money. Particularly as Dapol seem to be able to make the 66, a large Co-Co, for half the price of the 73 despite recent increases.

Paul R

One thing I've noticed about Heljan O gauge stock is that it nearly always seems to end up being heavily discounted. If I was thinking of buying a Heljan loco I'd wait to see to how well it sells before splashing out.

16 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

One thing I've noticed about Heljan O gauge stock is that it nearly always seems to end up being heavily discounted. If I was thinking of buying a Heljan loco I'd wait to see to how well it sells before splashing out.

True in relation to the steam locos, which have a mixed reputation shall we say for their running qualities, but the diesels seem to sell far better, and run better too. Try finding a discounted o gauge 25 anywhere, whereas there are big savings on the mogul and prarie to be found.

Personally, id prefer Dapol to do the 2251. Their lightweight o gauge steam are all lovely runners. The Heljan chassis are unnecessarily heavy and powerful, how many of us have the space for 12 coach trains in o?   

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Personally, id prefer Dapol to do the 2251.

I really cant see anyone else tooling the same tender though and the ability to reuse that for other prototypes did seem to be part of the mitigation for the extra cost over a tank loco.

Edited by Hal Nail

3 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

True in relation to the steam locos, which have a mixed reputation shall we say for their running qualities, but the diesels seem to sell far better, and run better too. Try finding a discounted o gauge 25 anywhere, whereas there are big savings on the mogul and prarie to be found.

Personally, id prefer Dapol to do the 2251. Their lightweight o gauge steam are all lovely runners. The Heljan chassis are unnecessarily heavy and powerful, how many of us have the space for 12 coach trains in o?   

You are right there - I've been looking for a blue 25/1 - so far nothing. And some of the second hand prices I have seen are more expensive that discounted new stock with other retailers.

Paul R

Although not a GWR chap, it is a shame that the project has been cancelled.  The 2251 is ideal for the smaller layouts that so many people have.  A Pacific is a bit big for a branchline.  How many people have large garden layouts anyway?  I also find Heljan to be very expensive so, yes, waiting for a discount is the right way to go (that is how I got my 20).

John

• Like 1