Pullman Camping Coach No. PCC44

nicktamarensis

If the style of the platform bench has been identified correctly this is somewhere on the former NBR system - but where?  Does anyone have any info on this location and the coach itself?

The location may be somewhere in the Highlands rather than the Borders area if the mountain in the background is anything to go by.

Many thanks.

Nick.

20724.jpg

• RMweb Premium

There has been discussion of camping coach locations in the Hattons Genesis topic. The Wikipedia article seems to provide comprehensive information for at least some periods. According to this, 57 Pullmans were converted in the early 60s having been displaced from Kent Coast services on electrification; 12 of these went to the Scottish Region. Someone must have a list of allocations.

Edited by Compound2632

Thanks Stephen.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

If of any help, I found a 1957 listing in another thread for ScR CC locations - but whether any of these would have included the later arrival of the Pullmans is another matter....

6-Berth coaches: Aboyne, Aberdour, Aberfeldy, Aberlady, Appin, Arisaig, Benderloch, Burghead, Carnoustie, Carr Bridge, Eddleston, Elie, Fairlie High, Fortrose, Glenfinnan, Gullane, Kentallen, Kingussie, Loch Awe, Lochmaben, Lundin Links, Monifieth, Morar, Plockton, Portressie, St Combs, St Monance, Strathyre, Strome Ferry, Tyndrum Lower, West Kilbride

Nick.

She was built as a Parlour Car in 1910 ( Birmingham C.& .W.) , "was partly wrecked whilst stationary on the Dover Admiralty Pier Extension by heavy seas" (!) in October 1911, rebuilt as a Kitchen Car in January 1924 and ended up as Camping Coach in '61. Profile 5 gives no further details between those dates so presumably Savona led a relatively uneventful life trundling round the Southern. ( This volume has a specific chapter on S.E.C.R. services 1910-14 and details of all Camping Coach conversions in an appendix ...... hopefully more details will emerge in a future volume.)

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Camping Coach 44 - ex "Savona" - was converted in 1961 and - according to Pullman Profile No.5 - was at Corpach from '61 to'64 .......... in which case the land in the background doesn't come any higher in these islands.

photo on Ernie Brack's Flickr, taken at Corpach from the Camping Coach, seems to match

Corpach, view from Camping Coach of Mallaig bound train

(c) Ernie Brack on Flickr

• Like 1

Ah - that makes more sense ! ...... I was thinking the Loch was behind the photographer in the first  picture and couldn't figure out how he'd got Ben Nevis in shot from that angle : clearly it was some lesser summit and the Loch is off to the left.

Anyway, THIS photo seems to show a replacement Camping Car as the panelling doesn't look very pullmanesque and I think there's a turnunder to the bodyside.

• Agree 1

Thanks for all the info. guys.  I think as this shot faces east the Caledonian Canal lock and Loch Linnhe is out of sight to the right.  The 'big hill' in the Pullman shot might be one of the lesser lumps a bit to the north of Ben Nevis - possibly Coire Ceirsle?