Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

Following on from the comments regarding political discussions in the Parish of Castle Aching, I propose that such discussions are hereafter moved to this Hall where they may be undertaken without interfering in the normal running of the parish.

It is not my place, perhaps it is not even the place of the Parish Council as a whole, and indeed it is probably counter-intuitive and unnecessary to lay down specific rules for these discussions besides those unwritten rules of reason and decency that have prevailed thus far.

Edited by sem34090

• RMweb Premium

The Jubilee hall will not be available  2nd Oct 2021.. We've book it for our Aylsham show (being hopeful)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Please allow me to vent anger here to the Parish Council regarding Google and its actions.  Some of you like me will have seen the invasion of the google ads* at the bottom of the screen.

* Cue Vincent Price Film

I have tried to stop them by saying not appropriate, already seen etc.. They acknowledge the request and then often repost exactly the same ad.  I tried to report this to google and they demand that I sign on to my google account.  I send my email, password and they then say they will send me a verification number.  I input this but they say they do not recognise the device and want my mobile phone number.

Well they already have too much info about me and I sure as hell am not giving them more.  Apart from that I don't have a mobile number.  We have no signal here so I have no need of a mobile.

So Google, if one of your AI bots is scanning this page.  Shove your mobile number request where the sun don't shine and stop wrecking this site with your rubbish adverts.

If we worry about governments, we should perhaps worry more about these pervasive organisations that now know more about us than the government ever will. 

I feel slightly better for that.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

The internet is a transport system. It transports data. Sites are the stations of the internet. Of which this is one. 

Look at any other transport systems stations, road , rail, air and so on.  They are covered in advertising. The advertising revenue helps offset the cost of travel and provision of stations by those means. 

Do folk write to the local bus , train or airport operators and complain that the ads are irrelevant ? Nope, they just ignore them. So why complain about internet advertising ? 

Oddly some of us put a lot of effort into ensuring that the advertising on our model railways is accurate for the period and location. Would you expect me to run photos of my layout through affinity to add little black squares over all the adverts ? Nae chance, in my youth I wouldnae half fancy they golfing girls..... 

Jim, throw me that wooden spoon. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Please allow me to vent anger here to the Parish Council regarding Google and its actions.  Some of you like me will have seen the invasion of the google ads* at the bottom of the screen.

* Cue Vincent Price Film

I have tried to stop them by saying not appropriate, already seen etc.. They acknowledge the request and then often repost exactly the same ad.  I tried to report this to google and they demand that I sign on to my google account.  I send my email, password and they then say they will send me a verification number.  I input this but they say they do not recognise the device and want my mobile phone number.

Dear Mr Hayter

I am informed that you were inadvertently directed to our Department of Obfuscation and Impenetrability. Please let me offer our laughably sincere apologies for any inconvenience and frustration you may have felt.

In future please contact our Department of Ignoring Customer Inquiries. They are especially trained to deal with annoying people like yourself and can really make life unpleasant if you keep this importuning and whining up.

Yours Sincerely

indecipherable signature 

Global Manager

Marketing

Google 

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

Morning All,

In an effort to keep CA free of politics, gloom and anything that does not exist in an idealised bucolic Edwardian Norfolk, I find myself at the Parish Pump this a.m.

Reflecting upon the recent decline of my Aged Ps and also upon my own, I suspect rather bleak, future, I thought I'd cheer myself up with a song .....

Don't put your mother in a home, Mrs. Worthington
Don't put your mother in a home
The places are rather dreary
And they always smell of wee
And bingo and soaps
Won’t help with the mopes

Or stave off her ennui

She’s a bit vague

When testing her cognition rate

But don’t you think you’ll seal her fate

If left here all alone?

I repeat, Mrs. Worthington
Sweet Mrs. Worthington

Don't put your mother in a home, Mrs. Worthington
There’s a terrible risk of Covid

And this warning I impart

The tragical farce of a tap on the glass

Is no way to depart

It’s a sad life

Where never mind her phd

They’ll treat her like she’s only three

As her mind begins to roam

On my knees, Mrs. Worthington
Please, Mrs. Worthington

Don't put your mother in a home!

• Round of applause 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Sigh.  Having nursed my own Mum as she began to develop dementia and then when my own health broke down having to send Mum off into 24 hour care I will confess to having a slightly jaundiced view of the aged care sector.  Now I find myself often being haunted by the prospect of ending up in an old folks home myself.  It would of course would be for my own good and done by well meaning people, but that does not lessen the horror of it all.

• Friendly/supportive 18

14 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Apart from that I don't have a mobile number.  We have no signal here so I have no need of a mobile.

Surely the point of a mobile phone is that you use it when you are elsewhere?

Says Tim, who has been using his mobile* at home for 6 months

*on wireless, in my defence

• Friendly/supportive 1

I like the idea of this thread. I'm afraid that I gave up on keeping up with the CA thread, I could cope with OT posts about pre-raphs/Jenny Agutter etc, but the rise in number of political posts in addition pushed the quantity into the Forth Bridge territory. It wasn't that I disagree with the prevailing opinion, just there's only so much time the day.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Surely the point of a mobile phone is that you use it when you are elsewhere?

Says Tim, who has been using his mobile* at home for 6 months

*on wireless, in my defence

You would think so wouldn't you?  Apparently not.

Mobile companies declare their coverage of the country based on the registered address of the phones on their network, not the square miles covered compared to total land area.

Google it seems want to send me an authentification code by SMS when I am sat at home on the computer.

My banks would like to send a security code by SMS when I make an internet purchase sat at home.

Paypal is also going down this route.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I was, believe it or not, relatively cheerful this morning.  I feel myself closing down now, so probably heading for an elusive patch.

I just want to go out there and give everybody a big fat kiss.

• Funny 3

Evenin' all!

Just looking in to make sure that I don't miss any future discussions at The Assembly Hall.

Can I ask two questions?

1) Why is CA described as a 'principaliity' in the openiing post, when it has, up to now, been a parish?

2) How were two new fence-posts for the gate at the church side of the allotments purchased by the parish, without a proposal for that expenditure coming in front of either the finance sub-committee or the main council meeting, and is it correct that they were supplied and fitted by the brother of the clerk to the council? [I was a member of a parish council for about five years, so i know the stuff that gets discussed. Next up: dog poo; and, the length of grass in the outfield of the cricket pitch.]

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Evenin' all!

Next up: dog poo; and, the length of grass in the outfield of the cricket pitch.]

I can perhaps help here.  The experiment showed that where there had been dog poo, the grass grew with a much thicker and stronger sward, so we will be treating the entire outfield with dog poo over the winter.  This will be maintained up to the first game of the '21 season.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6