Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

Its the nitrates, you know.

This is from the website of a fertiliser supplier, who seems to be advocating exactly The Hayter Method:

Because your dog's urine is naturally high in nitrogen—an essential plant nutrient—Fido's favorite spots can become greener than the surrounding grass. This happens primarily on grass that hasn't had enough nitrogen from fertilizer. Your whole lawn could be that same rich color if it had the extra nitrogen it needs.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 3

I shall take up the honourable member's suggestion regarding the description of Castle Aching as a 'Principality' and shall go and correct the parish records, if nobody were to object?

I also address a suggestion to our council's chairman regarding the possible inclusion of the Jubilee Hall on his model of the village. He is, naturally, entirely free to dismiss this suggestion.

Edited by sem34090

11 hours ago, sem34090 said:

I shall take up the honourable member's suggestion regarding the description of Castle Aching as a 'Principality' and shall go and correct the parish records, if nobody were to object?

I also address a suggestion to our council's chairman regarding the possible inclusion of the Jubilee Hall on his model of the village. He is, naturally, entirely free to dismiss this suggestion.

The Achings no doubt form the core part of a Rural District Council,  We, though, are concerned more properly with the Civil Parish of Castle Aching, for which the Parish Council (us) are responsible.  Both these tiers of local government were established by the Local Government Act 1894. 

Those parishioners of an Anglican persuasion can also join the vestry for the parish of St Tabitha (Parochial Church Councils are pre-Grouping, just, but post Great War creations).   

Jubilee Hall?

I like the idea, but I do not think that in the circumstances one would exist in Castle Aching.  A Jubilee Hall would be a matter of public subscription because it was felt that villages needed such a facility. Calling it a Jubilee Hall suggests that it was built around the time of either the 1887 or 1897 Jubilees. 

The village would doubtless have made do with rooms at the Dodo for most gatherings. In recent years we have seen Reading Rooms & Lending Library, under the care of Miss Annabelle Finch.

A village hall or a church hall, often things instituted in the late Nineteenth and early Twentieth centuries, would probably have been rendered redundant by the construction of the Drill Hall in c.1865.  That would have been used for produce shows, theatrical entertainments and so forth in between training. No doubt that would include any public meetings convened by the Parish Council.

Much as I'd love a cardboard essay in fin de siècle civic architecture, I doubt there is room for another hall on the model, and I doubt there would have been one, as the Parish already had the benefit of the Drill Hall as a venue.  Sorry!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• sem34090 changed the title to Minutes of Castle Aching Parish Council meetings, 1905
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

The village would doubtless have made do with rooms at the Dodo for most gatherings. In recent years we have seen Reading Rooms & Lending Library, under the care of Miss Annabelle Finch.

A village hall or a church hall, often things instituted in the late Nineteenth and early Twentieth centuries, would probably have been rendered redundant by the construction of the Drill Hall in c.1865.  That would have been used for produce shows, theatrical entertainments and so forth in between training. No doubt that would include any public meetings convened by the Parish Council.

What we really need is a Parish Pump where we can keep in touch.

Preferably in post-cholera times.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ian Simpson said:

What we really need is a Parish Pump where we can keep in touch.

Preferably in post-cholera times.

Where Bailey Street widens towards the level crossing, there will be (a) the 1887 Jubilee clock tower (suspiciously like that at Grimston), and (b) a Georgian era conduit to supply fresh water for people and livestock and erected by Lord Erstwhile.  It will take the form of a pyramid.

Will that do?

• Like 4

Interesting, in that Mr O'Doolite met his wife-to-be in connection with a pyramidic water fountain, raised by subscription in the village where she grew up (in Kent, rather than Norfolk). I'd forgotten that he'd had more than one commission of that kind.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 12/10/2020 at 23:53, phil_sutters said:

Another exhortation in a similar polite and concise manner, on the rear wall of the Welsh Congregational Chapel in Southwark.

Commit no nuisance.jpg

That should include chewing on the edges of instructional signage.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

16 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

This is from the website of a fertiliser supplier, who seems to be advocating exactly The Hayter Method:

Because your dog's urine is naturally high in nitrogen—an essential plant nutrient—Fido's favorite spots can become greener than the surrounding grass. This happens primarily on grass that hasn't had enough nitrogen from fertilizer. Your whole lawn could be that same rich color if it had the extra nitrogen it needs.

I learned something from that website. Previously I had thought that it was only the female Fido's urine that turned the grass brown.  I am now woke to my subliminal misogyny.

• Funny 3

On 12/10/2020 at 22:33, Andy Hayter said:

Please allow me to vent anger here to the Parish Council regarding Google and its actions.  Some of you like me will have seen the invasion of the google ads* at the bottom of the screen.

* Cue Vincent Price Film

I have tried to stop them by saying not appropriate, already seen etc.. They acknowledge the request and then often repost exactly the same ad.  I tried to report this to google and they demand that I sign on to my google account.  I send my email, password and they then say they will send me a verification number.  I input this but they say they do not recognise the device and want my mobile phone number.

Well they already have too much info about me and I sure as hell am not giving them more.  Apart from that I don't have a mobile number.  We have no signal here so I have no need of a mobile.

So Google, if one of your AI bots is scanning this page.  Shove your mobile number request where the sun don't shine and stop wrecking this site with your rubbish adverts.

If we worry about governments, we should perhaps worry more about these pervasive organisations that now know more about us than the government ever will. 

I feel slightly better for that.

I stumbled over here this afternoon after looking at a thread on this very subject that had been locked down by the moderator, but in doing so they had left this enigmatic comment "Other topics already in progress". I think that we have been kettled.

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, rocor said:

I stumbled over here this afternoon after looking at a thread on this very subject that had been locked down by the moderator, but in doing so they had left this enigmatic comment "Other topics already in progress". I think that we have been kettled.

I was impressed how the posting of a complaint re the Google advertisements segued almost seamlessly into a discussion about dog poo. Does this mean I will now see Google ads on my nature strip, or will the bots that run Google will get the hint?

• Funny 3

On 14/10/2020 at 06:11, Nearholmer said:

So the answer to greener grass and the perfect lawn is the acquisition of a pack of hounds - the real downside of that is that given the amount of poo produced you wouldn't be able to see the lawn, let alone walk on it ...... 

Back to the discussion of dog poo in the form of Google ads I just noticed something really uncanny, if not spooky. Yesterday while on the phone (landline) to someone who is doing some work for us (the people who pay my salary) I idly mentioned that my office chair was uncomfortable. Today I am being inundated with ads for comfortable office chairs.

Big Brother would seem to have all marketing opportunities covered.   

• Informative/Useful 1

Have you got an Alexa or similar in the room? The walls have ears with those things, whatever the makers/suppliers promise.

Spookiest experience was when my good lady and children were away for a few days, I was watching a film, and the thing must have heard a cue phrase from the film, and suddenly piped-up all-uninvited: “Your partner is away in Norfolk and will be home on Sunday”.

• Friendly/supportive 3

I don't mind so much if Big Brother is listening, it is just that I have mentioned office chairs only once that I can recall. Whereas I have often mentioned to anyone who'll listen that I would really like a few million dollars - I don't get swamped with bloody ads offering me a few million do I?  So all I can say is that Big Brother simply isn't doing its bloody job  .........

So BB if you're all you are cracked up to be pull your finger out and do your job properly.  And no I'm not the least bit interested  in a "NewChic Military Tooling Jacket", that isn't anywhere close to what I have just demanded !!!!   

Is carrying on conversations with Google's automated advertisements a sign of impending mental failure ......... :O

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Apparently if you have a 'Smart Phone', it listens in ALL the time, even when supposedly switched off. Apple actually apologized for listening in whilst people were 'in bed' having 'an early night' - I dread to think what adverts they got.

Similar thing that happened to Malcolm 0-6-0, happened to a friend of a friend, they mentioned a specific trainer/footwear and when they went on their phone up popped an advert for that exact same thing.

Malcolm 0-6-0, you may now find a lot of 'get rich quick' schemes on all your connected devices.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Have you got an Alexa or similar in the room? The walls have ears with those things, whatever the makers/suppliers promise.

Spookiest experience was when my good lady and children were away for a few days, I was watching a film, and the thing must have heard a cue phrase from the film, and suddenly piped-up all-uninvited: “Your partner is away in Norfolk and will be home on Sunday”.

It will not be long before Alexa starts to order things on her own account from over the internet, using your credit card details, and then insisting that it had nothing to do with her. 

:girldevil:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, simonmcp said:

That's one way of explaining away the latest purchase of 'essential' railway items - " I didn't order them, and unfortunately they can't be returned, honestly dear" :rolleyes:

Hmm, I'll recommend that line to the promoters of HS2

• Funny 4

On 15/10/2020 at 12:56, simonmcp said:

That's one way of explaining away the latest purchase of 'essential' railway items - " I didn't order them, and unfortunately they can't be returned, honestly dear" :rolleyes:

I'm going to need something along these lines when the bound volumes of 'Military Modelling' 1973-1980 turn up tomorrow...once I've weathered the storm regarding where these are going to go in our five bedroom house, I will be the archivist for the parish council on all things relating to the county yeomanry and local militia of the 19th (pre- and post-Cardwell reforms) and early 20th  century.

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My view on husbands is that they should have a room they can call their own in the house and they can  do whatever they like in there; - split the atom, collect vast amounts of souvenir teaspoons, build a time machine, restore vintage unicycles, - and provided they don't collapse the floorboards attempting to build a one fifth scale model of the Sphinx leave them in peace to get on with it.  

Edited by Annie
changing words
  • Like 15

So, I thought it high time I came to a proper understanding of just which parts of England are now designated Tier 2 High Risk and Tier 3 Very High Risk

I found that it helps get through the list if you sing it to the tune of Cwm Rhondda (Guide Me, O Thou Great Redeemer), written by John Hughes in 1907, here with a chorus by Mark Drakeford.

Leicester City, Oadby and Wigston, Nottingham and Notts county

Sandwell, Walsall, Wolverhampton, Solihull and Birmingham

Barnsley, Sheffield, Doncaster and Rotherham, Kirklees, Bradford, Calderdale

Wakefield, Leeds and all the High Peak, Blackpool, Preston, Lancashire

Blackburn, Burnley, Oldham, Rochdale, Wigan, Salford, Warrington

Trafford, Tameside, Bury, Stockport, Bolton and central Manchester

Cheshire East and West and Chester, Wirral, Knowsley, Liverpool

Halton, Sefton and St Helens, Chesterfield and just now York 

Tyneside North and Tyneside South, Gateshead, Durham, Sunderland

Middlesbrough, Darlington, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton-on-Tees, Hartlepool. Newcastle

Essex, Elmbridge, Barrow-in-Furness, North East Derbyshire, Erewash,

All of Greater London too, and all the sheep of Northumberland

Banned from Wales, banned from Wales

These have all been banned from Wales

(Banned from Wales)

These have all been banned from Wales

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 7
  • Funny 5