Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

30 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Its all very confusing now that The Assembly Hall has opened, but can I ask a CA chronology question?

When was the branch to Wolfringham Harbour/Staith opened? As a hint, it would be useful if it wasn't before the mid-1850s, in order to help with other, interlocking chronologies.

K

I'm assuming c.1875-7

Thoughts, so far, on chronology are:

CA to Birchoverham Market 1855.  On to Birchoverham Staithe 1856

Branch CA to Achingham 1862

Branch Birchoverham Market to Fakeney 1862

Birchoverham Market to Birchoverham-Next-the-Sea 1875 (BNTS's is similar to Cromer's development, but 2-3 years ahead)

Wolfringham Harbour/Staith c.1876

Bishop's Lynn Tramway 1885

Attempts to develop Shepherd's Port 1890s?

• Informative/Useful 2

I hope UK parishioners are ready to "prosper mightily".

I thought we were going to be Singapore. it turns out we're to be Australia. So a little confused, but I'm sure it will all be fine. 

After all, if you can't trust your leaders, who else can you trust?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

What appear to be our answers are in fact being generated by computer algorithms, which, though very clever at mimicking our responses, like those lovely Google Adds, do occasionally go wrong. 

Look, here's my favourite locomotive ...

470912816_Fell2.jpg.d278fa9da3ecd0e0618584112d2339c0.jpg

Ermm, that is actually one of MY favourite engines - I mean, if ever a diesel (sorry, heavy oil engine) looked pre-grouping, then it's the Fell...why are you all looking at me like that ?! I'll get my coat...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Ermm, that is actually one of MY favourite engines - I mean, if ever a diesel (sorry, heavy oil engine) looked pre-grouping, then it's the Fell...why are you all looking at me like that ?! I'll get my coat...

From the O.E.D.;

fell (4)

Pronunciation /fɛl/

adjective

literary

Of terrible evil or ferocity; deadly.

‘the fell disease that was threatening her sister’

‘Sometimes, the wind also brought unnervingly fell sounds with it, as if a chorus of unholy demons was singing in the distance.’

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

I thought we were going to be Singapore. it turns out we're to be Australia. So a little confused, but I'm sure it will all be fine. 

Both nominal democracies; one more definitely a one-party state than the other. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Both nominal democracies; one more definitely a one-party state than the other. 

But, then, weren't we to be Canada or Norway as well?

I can see the Norwegian model working for us, though .... 

Monty-Python-dead-parrot.jpg.7703b66219c26eed3e469bdb785f5d73.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

53 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Ah, yes, that seems to fit with the results of my other researches; thank you.

Feel free to share the fruits of these researches, probably on Castle Aching rather than here, and you will help me with the Wolfringham-Shepherd's Port write up that is the subject of popular demand (well, Compound).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Never underestimate the British weakness for the underdog. 

It certainly has a presence and I did, fleetingly, consider buying the model Fell.

If I ever have a layout with a sort of Orwellian/Post-War dystopian future theme, it will be perfect!

• Like 3

It was designed by a chap who was more in the mould of the last of the buccaneers, rather than someone from an Orwellian mind-set. He must have squandered quite a bi of his own money on it, from what I can work out, although maybe he got the firms who backed it to stump-up most of the cash.

ABE0D07E-A893-49CE-ABF0-77849A4C9F53.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I hope UK parishioners are ready to "prosper mightily".

After all, if you can't trust your leaders, who else can you trust?

Mm, I have recently been getting a vague suspicion that the worlds democratically elected leaders are envying the powers bestowed upon His Excellency Xi Jinping.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

No, your 'phones work, it's just that everyone outside Norfolk (and Wales, obviously) is already dead from the Plague.

What appear to be our answers are in fact being generated by computer algorithms, which, though very clever at mimicking our responses, like those lovely Google Adds, do occasionally go wrong. 

Look, here's my favourite locomotive ...

470912816_Fell2.jpg.d278fa9da3ecd0e0618584112d2339c0.jpg

Is this class still running in West Norfolk?

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, rocor said:

Mm, I have recently been getting a vague suspicion that the worlds democratically elected leaders are envying the powers bestowed upon His Excellency Xi Jinping.

Hitherto I thought "pulp" as applied to the PM related to his journalism, but the Licence to Kill Bill certainly made me think that Bozza might have a case of ...

I wanna be like Vlady Putin
I wanna do whatever Vlady Putin does
Wanna kill like Vlady Putin
I wanna kill like Vlady Putin
Kill you
What else could I do?

I said "I'll, I'll make it legal to"

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Bets on how long before Andy Burnham is placed in 'protective custody' and Westminster sends the tanks rolling into Manchester?

Still, we'll know our leaders have completely lost the plot when they start promoting household pets to senior military positions.

Here is Air Chief Marshall Foo Foo (the dog, not the bloke in lilac) ......

954155673_AirChiefMarshallFooFooThailland.jpg.302d60b3f33b5b9bbd777a6d3d986c3f.jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Down the slippery slope we go...

Now here's a thing that combines religion, politics, and pre-grouping railways - all dangerous territory where RMWeb is concerned. I remember reading, a quarter of a century ago, a review in the TLS of a general railway book - it might have been the Oxford Companion by Simmons and Biddle. The reviewer observed that the Board of the LNWR was made up of High Church Tories (many with a military background) whereas the of the Midland was made up of Liberal Nonconformists and this went a long way to explaining the fundamental differences between these two major companies. (This applies probably up to the 1870s but the argument was that this left a lasting stamp on the character of the lines.) Now the railways have Quaker money and enterprise at their origin in the North East and in the East Midlands, and even in the grandfather of the LNWR, the Liverpool and Manchester. Any other examples of a clear religio-political stamp to a railway company? In Scotland, the very names Caledonian and North British signal differing attitudes to the Union.

Discuss.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

Crikey, I shall be looking at our puppy-pooch with renewed respect if she's going to obtain senior military rank any time soon. But, and I want to make this really, really clear: there is no way that I am going out to take her for a walk dressed like that.

I'd rather face a firing squad than wear cerise braid on a lilac cap.

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

I consulted Wikipedia about Foo Foo, and it says:

Fufu came to wider public attention in 2009, when he appeared in a leaked video showing the Crown Prince's third wife, Princess Srirasmi, feeding a birthday cake to the dog while only wearing a G-string.

That is another thing that I shall definitely not be doing. And please, don’t tell us that the WNR Porters are obliged to do so either.

• Funny 7