Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

44 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Down the slippery slope we go...

Now here's a thing that combines religion, politics, and pre-grouping railways - all dangerous territory where RMWeb is concerned. I remember reading, a quarter of a century ago, a review in the TLS of a general railway book - it might have been the Oxford Companion by Simmons and Biddle. The reviewer observed that the Board of the LNWR was made up of High Church Tories (many with a military background) whereas the of the Midland was made up of Liberal Nonconformists and this went a long way to explaining the fundamental differences between these two major companies. (This applies probably up to the 1870s but the argument was that this left a lasting stamp on the character of the lines.) Now the railways have Quaker money and enterprise at their origin in the North East and in the East Midlands, and even in the grandfather of the LNWR, the Liverpool and Manchester. Any other examples of a clear religio-political stamp to a railway company? In Scotland, the very names Caledonian and North British signal differing attitudes to the Union.

Discuss.

I have been trying, but failing to, find a connection between the religious affiliations of the two aforementioned railway companies boards, and their locomotive liveries. I have often wondered why none of the major Pre-Grouping railways selected purple as their locomotive livery (I would rather like to see an engine in that colour). Probably none had a board consisting mainly of Roman Catholic members.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

53 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Fufu came to wider public attention in 2009, when he appeared in a leaked video showing the Crown Prince's third wife, Princess Srirasmi, feeding a birthday cake to the dog while only wearing a G-string.

Princess Srirasmi or Fufu ?!

• Funny 2

27 minutes ago, rocor said:

I have often wondered why none of the major Pre-Grouping railways selected purple as their locomotive livery (I would rather like to see an engine in that colour). 

I presume because, back in the day, purple was an expensive colour, hence it association with Royalty, Roman emperors etc.  Possibly also not particularly light stable then either.

On the aforementioned Scottish companies, The Caledonian was run from Glasgow, a city of enterprising merchants and industrialists, while the North British was run from Edinburgh, a city of staid lawyers and accountants (with all due respect to our esteemed chairman).

Jim

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

Edinburgh, a city of staid lawyers and accountants

The lawyers may have been staid but the accountants seem to have leave to be frivolous, which would explain a lot of the NBR's behaviour in the 1860s.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Edwardian said:

So no good for the WNR's new porter's uniform then?

Despite my penchant for railway uniforms I can't see me ever being willing to attempt to replicate that one! 

Which reminds me of something I meant to show Kevin and intend to at least represent in my uniform;

IMG_20201014_163631_922.jpg.d36d74cb22bbdb70554659cb7ef3f4be.jpg

Pre-preservation shot of, according to a reader of this thread, the only TR employee to ever have a uniform. I'm not ridiculously far off with my basic uniform (The coat and cape are a bit much, perhaps...) But need to work on the cap.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, sem34090 said:

Despite my penchant for railway uniforms I can't see me ever being willing to attempt to replicate that one! 

Which reminds me of something I meant to show Kevin and intend to at least represent in my uniform;

Pre-preservation shot of, according to a reader of this thread, the only TR employee to ever have a uniform. I'm not ridiculously far off with my basic uniform (The coat and cape are a bit much, perhaps...) But need to work on the cap.

Interesting either the pic is distorted or he (and the carriage) were employed by Rowland Emett  ...........

• Funny 1

That looks like a fire brigade cap to me - I wonder if he was a volunteer or retained fireman as well as train guard.

Most FBs have a badge consisting of a silver star with six points, overlain with the county arms, and they tend to wear highly polished cap bands, often red.

7C42C6DD-0E7D-4120-BCCB-B7B8444AA3B8.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Is he not just wearing his 'Sunday Best' suit with a cap, presumably, as Kevin suggests, sourced from some non-TR organisation with which he was perhaps associated, as the only 'uniform' item?

I which case, you could pick up a second-hand de-mob suit and finish it off with uniform cap of your choice, and be much more realistic!  I think you could carry this off, just re-badge for TR ....

Largecrown.jpg.10fa35910701a3dbff76d4ae16d8eae6.jpg

EDIT: BTW, I would suggest the gentleman is ex-army, because the pattern of cap represents a WO/ NCO's cap (officers' caps had and have a peak at a much shallower angle). 

Contrast with the, to my mind, shallower peak of the fireman's cap Kevin posted. 

The contrasting band is likely a regimental distinction,

1197116243_NewIrishGuardsRegimentalSlashedPeakHat-600x600.jpg.d6fba37a6f561a0d28f03fddfef9ae52.jpgs-l300.jpg.ba4f3ecf1fa30b3d2fa1f649993baf0d.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Caps are wonderful things aren't they. The top and the way it rises and flairs out is the vestige of military caps where all that extra surface was part of the protection against being cleaved in twain by the odd angry sword wielding dragoon.

I agree that the minimal peak or visor does look like an NCO's parade ground cap. As a broader and off topic question (off topic here!!!! I hear you say) one wonders why a perfectly good eye shade was reduced to the point where it just didn't work and looked a bit silly. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rocor said:

I have often wondered why none of the major Pre-Grouping railways selected purple as their locomotive livery (I would rather like to see an engine in that colour).

Maybe not the major companies, but a number of companies had a colour which fell within the lake, rather than the red, spectrum, which can on occasion be described as purple, certainely being almost identical to porphyry which was used as a purple stone for statues of emperors, imperial thrones, or in the case of the humerous/insulting gift from Constantinople to the pope, described as a throne, but actually an imperial birthing chair.

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Cadbury’s had a major railway, in the sense that it shifted major quantities of chocolate, and could have had a purple livery, but I think, unless anyone knows better, that their locos were always painted Bourneville Red, the colour of plain, rather than milk, chocolate wrappers.

Mind you ...... here is a typical

pre-grouping-type loco in a rather blue rendition of Cadbury’s purple!!! (Photo is from Flickr, but I’m having trouble embedding links again, so apologies to the owner)

cadbury joyville steam train

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

A letter by Don Townsley in RM March 1966 quotes the painter of the Cadbury engines as having painted them in "LMS red" ["10 gallons of Manders Crimson Lake R11223" to be precise] and goes on to speculate whether the usually reported 'pinkish chocolate brown'  colour of these engines was the result of  subsequent weathering.

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 3

Interesting.

There are good ‘genuine’ photos of diesels in the red livery here, and even allowing for the vagaries of film emulsion they don’t look how I imagine Midland Red.

http://miac.org.uk/bournville2.html

Mibd you, Bassett Lowke has this problem too. A lot of their red livery Compound locos changed colour quite quickly to become brown, and really keen collectors now try to have a ‘Red’ and a ‘Brown’. The colour seems to stabilise at a particular brown shade, so there must have been something in it that oxidised I guess.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, CKPR said:

A letter by Don Townsley in RM March 1966 quotes the painter of the Cadbury engines as having painted them in "LMS red" ["10 gallons of Manders Crimson Lake R11223" to be precise] and goes on to wonder whether the  usually reported 'pinkish chocolate brown'  colour of these engines was the result of  subsequent weathering.

Chocolate brown, such an appropriate livery for their locomotives.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The great trip North to transfer No. 1 Son from the frying pan of Reading (No. 2 son self-isolating following a confirmed case in his year group) to the fire of Durham is back on. Stage one today, to my father's house in Birmingham, then the round trip from thence to Durham tomorrow. Sandwiches at Egglestone Abby c. 12:30. At least this time round it's not forecast to be pouring with rain, unlike a fortnight ago.

There's an old Spanish saying about the logistical difficulties of putting a pikeman into Picardy.

• Friendly/supportive 7

8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The great trip North to transfer No. 1 Son from the frying pan of Reading (No. 2 son self-isolating following a confirmed case in his year group) to the fire of Durham is back on. Stage one today, to my father's house in Birmingham, then the round trip from thence to Durham tomorrow. Sandwiches at Egglestone Abby c. 12:30. At least this time round it's not forecast to be pouring with rain, unlike a fortnight ago.

There's an old Spanish saying about the logistical difficulties of putting a pikeman into Picardy.

I hope Durham is, ultimately, welcoming.

I am afraid that for University Students, it won't feel much like God's Own Country at present.

Not just Durham though, my nephew is locked down/up in Cardiff at the moment

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I wonder, might we change this topic title slightly to "Proceedings of of Castle Aching Parish Council meetings, 1905"

Seconded. A good set of minutes will record decisions but not the discussion leading to those decisions. Since this topic is all discussion and no decision...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Seconded. A good set of minutes will record decisions but not the discussion leading to those decisions. Since this topic is all discussion and no decision...

Agreed, in fact simply "Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council"

• Like 4