Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

4 minutes ago, CKPR said:

'appen as like.

By 'eck as like

Eckerslyke will be the name of my NER/MR/GNR/L&YR West Riding urban layout when I never get round to building it  

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

By 'eck as like

Eckerslyke will be the name of my NER/MR/GNR/L&YR West Riding urban layout when I never get round to building it  

Throw in some through working from the Hull & Barnsley there! (I'm sure there's scope for a bit of LNWR too.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

By 'eck as like

Already taken for the name of my planned L&Y shunting plank !

• Funny 1

But, what colour was ‘invisible green’? There seem to be two approaches to it: a very dark, but still distinctly green, shade, which is supposed to resemble foliage in shade, and an incredibly dark colour that looks black in all but the very brightest sunlight.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I have two books on H&B locomotives: a fat one:

M.A. Barker, An Illustrated History of Hull & Barnsley Railway Locomotives (Challenger Publications, 1996);

and a thin one:

R. Prattley, Locomotives of the Hull & Barnsley Railway (HMRS, 1997).

The fat one is excellent on almost all counts except for its silence on the subject of H&B liveries. Prattley is more informative. Of the Kirtley locomotives as delivered, he says "All three types were painted 'Drop Black', a term in 1885 describing a high quality pigment sold in pear-shaped drops." Describing Stirling's rebuilding of the Kirtley 2-4-0s with large diameter boilers from 1905, he says "With these locomotives a new livery style appeared. The colour was changed to an 'Invisible Green', made up by mixing a 50:50 combination of Drop Black and Brunswick Green. To all intents and purposes this was black; however in bright light the highlights had a green cast."

Reading E. Talbot et al., LNWR Liveries (HMRS, 1985), I find that Webb tried out an invisible green on one of his first batch of 2-4-0s, No. 1212 Pioneer, quoting a 1922 article "It looked like black, unless observed in a good light, when it could easily be seen that it was actually a very dark green." This was a one-off; describing the standard 'Blackberry Black' the authors state that the colour specified was drop black, the 'blackberry' epithet being merely descriptive of the overall effect of the high quality black pigment, varnish, and polishing (so presumably a thin film of oil. Such a highly-polished surface would on a sunny day reflect the blue of the sky, giving the highlights a purple cast, to borrow Prattley's wording.

I don't have anything on L&Y locomotives or their liveries. I never heard of there being much sunshine in L&Y territory, so I suppose invisible hints don't come into it.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

But, what colour was ‘invisible green’? 

Hard to describe, bit I know it when I see it.

Actually, Compound can describe it!

It's almost like some crazed bet; a layout with NER, MR, GNR, H&BR, L&YR, MS&LR/GCR and LNWR

Irresistible!

• Like 3

Aha, that invisible green. My previous bike was that colour.

Here’s some info about the other invisible green, which seems to have been greener. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/janeaustensworld.wordpress.com/2010/07/26/invisible-green-a-favorite-colour-for-georgian-landscape-buildings-and-garden-fences/amp/

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Here’s some info about the other invisible green, which seems to have been greener. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/janeaustensworld.wordpress.com/2010/07/26/invisible-green-a-favorite-colour-for-georgian-landscape-buildings-and-garden-fences/amp/

Ah, Invisible Green, in the sense of rendering the object painted in it invisible. I assume that was a problem with your bike...

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Actually, Compound can describe it!

But not in elegant 18th century verse, I'm afraid.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Edwardian said:

By 'eck as like

Most folk call theirs Dewsbury, there must have been dozens over the years.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Adam88 said:

Most folk call theirs Dewsbury, there must have been dozens over the years.

Having been born and bred up the road in Batley I have never understood the fascination with the place!

They somehow managed to fit a town centre around the four stations in the town so any "newcomer" would be strapped for space.

Ian T

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Careful now!

We must beware of upsetting any of our "senior" forum members, who will be absolutely certain that they've seen that colour used on some locos, coaches, wagons and/or buildings, and will produce black and white photos as "evidence".

“The Invisible Green is one of the most pleasant colours for fences, and all work connected with buildings, gardens, or pleasure grounds, as it displays a richness and solidity, and also harmonizes with every object, and is a back-ground and foil to the foliage of fields, trees, and plants, as also to flowers.”

One of my early projects was at Uppark, where the young Emma Hamilton is alleged to have danced naked on the dining room table.  

https://janeaustensworld.wordpress.com/2010/07/26/invisible-green-a-favorite-colour-for-georgian-landscape-buildings-and-garden-fences/

I am, however, not sure what colour we should use for a model of the young Emma Hamilton.

• Funny 3

12 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

not sure what colour we should use for a model of the young Emma Hamilton.

Bucket-loads of oil paint were expended on pictures of her in all states of undress, so you can easily check if you need.

Her biog reads pretty much like the sort of stuff being alleged by the woman who looks likely to be the nemesis of Ghislaine Maxwell, and possibly others.

• Like 2