Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I read that as "her blog" - which would certainly have been interesting!

I'm sure that Emma Hart/Hamilton would have created a fascinating blog given an opportunity.

I can recommend 'England's Mistress' by Kate Williams. 

Thank you for reminding me: it's due for a re-read.

Actually, of all the characters in her story Norfolk's Favourite Son doesn't come out too badly.

As for the others - well let no one deny that the patriarchy existed and exists!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, drmditch said:

I'm sure that Emma Hart/Hamilton would have created a fascinating blog given an opportunity.

I can recommend 'England's Mistress' by Kate Williams. 

I have read that, a while ago. She had some interesting attitudes:

image.png.5d140542a7d388bb7357aec0c819e123.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sem34090 said:

How does your terrier walk, Sir?

At least it doesn't jump into any body of water it can find on its route.

I have some official advice for you, again, best recited to the tune of cwm rhondda:

Cameras, gift wrap, reading glasses

Housewares, fireworks, batteries

Sports goods, books, camping, computers

Audio, video, furniture

Home entertainment, office stationery

clocks and watches, umbrellas

Decorations, household textiles

Clothing, shoes and sippy cups

Banned in Wales

Banned in Wales

These have all been banned from sale

(Banned from sale)

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

I just got some strange looks singing that quietly as I was walking home from a seminar that had been cancelled... I also added to it...

Travel, by bus or rail

Save for all but the worst case

Restaurants too, not to forget

Any pubs or bars or clubs

Banned in Wales

Banned in Wales

These have all been banned in Wales

(Banned in Wales)

These have all been banned in Wales

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Please, there's quite enough unpleasantness around without that sort of photo. And what exactly are those on his tie?

55 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

books,

That, I submit, is the thin end of a very large wedge. But I suppose they can still be ordered online.

On a lighter note, I hope you all saw the article about the drive-in cinema at Chester FC's ground? Portaloos have had to be shipped in as although most of the site is in Cheshire, the stand containing the facilities is over the border. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Northroader said:

In Llanymenach, the High Street forms the border:

FAC27210-9644-4006-8D24-1A9660921BED.jpeg.49f0c399cd316e06335403942536114b.jpeg

No doubt the centre of the road is heavily policed, to ensure that English publicans reap no benefit from the misfortunes of their Welsh colleagues.  

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Please, there's quite enough unpleasantness around without that sort of photo. And what exactly are those on his tie?

Parrots?.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I think they might be penguins.

Any leopard seals in Westminster?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 13/10/2020 at 19:38, Nearholmer said:

Why is CA described as a 'principaliity' in the openiing post, when it has, up to now, been a parish?

Probably something to do with the mayor residing in the County Palatine of the Prince Bishops.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Probably something to do with the mayor residing in the County Palatine of the Prince Bishops.

The Prince Bishop has a 400 space car park all to himself in the centre of Durham.

I'm a bit down on Durham at the mo. New Elvet bridge is closed, so to get to the Dragonville Tesco from his digs (to stock him up for the term), I had to drive the wrong way round the city. In the course of this rather fraught piece of navigation, it appears that I drove down a bus lane, at some expense - £30. 

• Friendly/supportive 7

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

The Prince Bishop has a 400 space car park all to himself in the centre of Durham.

I'm a bit down on Durham at the mo. New Elvet bridge is closed, so to get to the Dragonville Tesco from his digs (to stock him up for the term), I had to drive the wrong way round the city. In the course of this rather fraught piece of navigation, it appears that I drove down a bus lane, at some expense - £30. 

There are shops on the other side of Durham you know. Try Sainsbury's.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Annie said:

I was going to say cockroaches, but I think they are indeed penguins.

Looking at the monochromatic colouring of the bird, I will have to agree that penguin seems to be the most likely candidate.

I am trying to reconcile this though, with the Wikipedia description of the Penguin as, 'Unlike most of Batman's rogues gallery, the Penguin is completely sane and in full control of his actions'.

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I fear a need to correct you there, for it may have been commandeered by D. Cummings to ensure any lockdown-breaking trips are socially distanced.

(I always thought “socially distanced” referred to Ronnie Barker keeping Ronnie Corbett and John Cleese apart.)

• Funny 11

On 26/10/2020 at 14:46, Compound2632 said:

No doubt the centre of the road is heavily policed, to ensure that English publicans reap no benefit from the misfortunes of their Welsh colleagues.  

If they can police Chester FC's ground to stop English movie fans using Welsh toilets, I can only assume that they're deploying razor wire down the centre of Llanymynech High Street as I write.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2