Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

Strange old half-term, but my good lady ran a Halloween party for our daughter and four of her classmates this afternoon, which gave them good fun while staying within their school bubble and within the rule of six.

Do seem to be an awful lot of dark clouds about though, metaphorically and literally.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

I have a Scottish neighbour and she used to be a vet.  A lovely woman with a delightful sense of humor.

Some months ago her (English) husband was involved in a motor vehicle accident and was quite badly injured; - He's making a good recovery and is well on the mend now.  I was chatting to her over the fence yesterday morning and she was telling me how when her husband was first home from hospital and needing a lot of care and nursing he was constantly apologising for all the work she was having to do looking after him.  'O dinnae mind aboot that,' she says to him, 'I'll no let you suffer.'

His eyes went very wide, 'WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN BY THAT!'

• Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Annie said:

I have a Scottish neighbour and she used to be a vet.  A lovely woman with a delightful sense of humor.

Some months ago her (English) husband was involved in a motor vehicle accident and was quite badly injured; - He's making a good recovery and is well on the mend now.  I was chatting to her over the fence yesterday morning and she was telling me how when her husband was first home from hospital and needing a lot of care and nursing he was constantly apologising for all the work she was having to do looking after him.  'O dinnae mind aboot that,' she says to him, 'I'll no let you suffer.'

His eyes went very wide, 'WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN BY THAT!'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-54728717

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Only problem is anybody here in New Zealand who lives with a disability or on-going chronic illness or is simply just elderly and a bit inconvenient for their families is now very concerned that they could get pressured into taking the euthanasia option.  As it stands some of the safeguards are a bit sparse in places.  The final details of the new law are going to be receiving very close scrutiny by a number of disability groups before it's finally signed off.

I didn't vote for the new law by the way which shouldn't surprise any of you.

• Friendly/supportive 10

On 30/10/2020 at 21:29, Edwardian said:

Miss T and I have decided to have our own Halloween party à deux tomorrow.

Tomorrow she will festoon the house with fake cobwebs.  I wish she'd said, I could have left the real ones up.

It's good that at least there's one night a year when you can relax and just be yourself ....

1021175105_20201031_205250-Copy.jpg.2d5128f707edd0c87adbb4324e09b8aa.jpg

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

It's good that at least there's one night a year when you can relax and just be yourself ....

1021175105_20201031_205250-Copy.jpg.2d5128f707edd0c87adbb4324e09b8aa.jpg

Very, Very nice! I really ought to sort myself out with a decent suit. For a Halloween-based photoshoot with a friend I went with my standard 1940s-esque get-up.

IMG_20201031_195707_271.jpg.e6f2f8f7b8a49f6e1ecaf37c4853f06f.jpgIMG_20201031_200036_697.jpg.7e4a71349b573c0803c2f3c91ea19b39.jpg

And then it all got a bit more November 11th than October 31st -

IMG-20201031-WA0020.jpg.f18be3e1e0d87a61a758388a4234cde8.jpg

I didn't 'alf get some funny looks y'know!

Tonight we're going to try again, but this time it involves a cape...

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, sem34090 said:

Very, Very nice! I really ought to sort myself out with a decent suit. For a Halloween-based photoshoot with a friend I went with my standard 1940s-esque get-up.

IMG_20201031_195707_271.jpg.e6f2f8f7b8a49f6e1ecaf37c4853f06f.jpgIMG_20201031_200036_697.jpg.7e4a71349b573c0803c2f3c91ea19b39.jpg

And then it all got a bit more November 11th than October 31st -

IMG-20201031-WA0020.jpg.f18be3e1e0d87a61a758388a4234cde8.jpg

I didn't 'alf get some funny looks y'know!

Tonight we're going to try again, but this time it involves a cape...

Brilliant pictures, there, Sem. Third Man meets Dracula. 

Great hat, too. I've decided to start wearing hats again. hats are cool. It's lockdown and I can do what I want.

Most hideous vision of Halloween was me squeezing into my undergrad evening tails. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hum. Interesting monument. Fumarial. St Florian is the patron saint of chimney sweeps* but I think here we have a depiction of a pagan precursor, a deity of chimneys - Hestia / Vesta would seem to be the closest, as goddess of hearth and home, but that young lady looks anything but vestal. 

*Florian had established an elite fire-fighting corps in his legion. Under Diocletian, he refused to sacrifice to the emperor and was sentenced to death by burning. His corps were unwilling to carry out this sentence so executed him by throwing him in a river with a millstone round his neck. 

• Informative/Useful 3

Thank you, again! And yes, hats are wonderful. I must confess that these days I scarcely ever leave the building without one on, be it that one, a flat cap, one of my uniform caps for railway duties or (on extremely limited occasions) that RAF side-cap.

I Definitely need some evening tails...

Or maybe morning (not mourning) dress might be better... I have a cheap topper on order for the next photoshoot although it's unfortunately a bit modern in style, I think.

The monument is Aberystwyth's war memorial, though I'm imagining that you knew that.

Another thing we tried was the "Ghost of Long Exposure" thing, with limited success;

IMG_20201031_194241_299.jpg.bcabcae0418ac3d9c2c7a703af5b8e90.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

I Definitely need some evening tails...

Or maybe morning (not mourning) dress might be better...

I've always fancied going the whole hog with a frock coat, but have never needed one.

It says something about my early years that, at various times I have needed a variety of absurd costumes, but, alas, never a frock coat!

Sent off for a new hat this morning, though

• Like 3

A frock coat would be good, although an RN Greatcoat isn't so ridiculously far off; It does at least have almost the right silhouette which is what matters for my purposes.

And it's warm. Very warm.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

A frock coat would be good, although an RN Greatcoat isn't so ridiculously far off; It does at least have almost the right silhouette which is what matters for my purposes.

And it's warm. Very warm.

An RN greatcoat has other advantages. Many years ago a friend of mine, a naval chaplain, was driving home to Wales at night and was stopped driving very fast indeed along the A40 near Oxford (this was before the M4) by the police.

Officer, 'In a bit of a hurry are we sir?' (Sees naval greatcoat in the back seat.) 'Is that a pusser?'

- 'It is.'

- 'I was in the Navy myself, sir. Mind how you go.'

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

His corps were unwilling to carry out this sentence so executed him by throwing him in a river with a millstone round his neck. 

The pair sowel!

Jim W

• RMweb Premium

The old railway black macs are good. One day I had an inspector from Paddington call, so I took him round the local pub for an hydraulic lunch. It was raining, so we were both wearing our macs. We went up to the bar, and half the pub emptied.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Black macs were still in the stores catalogue when I first started working as a site engineer, but they had a very bad reputation on the southern ( the tail will trail on the juice rail as you step over, giving a ‘belt’ in the back of the neck in damp weather) so I always opted for a pea-coat, which is actually a very practical thing in all but a complete downpour. On night jobs in winter, I used to wear it over a belstaff ‘all in one’ motorcycling suit, which was a totally weatherproof combo, even if the mix of wet wool-cloth and waxed-cotton stank like an old sheep.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Northroader said:

The old railway black macs are good. One day I had an inspector from Paddington call, so I took him round the local pub for an hydraulic lunch. It was raining, so we were both wearing our macs. We went up to the bar, and half the pub emptied.

I suppose that's one way to get a seat...

• Funny 3

Given the lack of activity on this thread, I suppose I ought to post the photos we entered for the competition I referred to above;

IMG_20201103_163540_219.jpg.dfc65e94dfbebe1fb6d542539c1ab9d4.jpg

A more suitable version of the outline photo above. This didn't really need any editing so my friend just put it into Black & White and we were done.

IMG_20201103_182610_612.jpg.61c51d80642422ad1c4b535ba177480c.jpg

I was given the right to enter this one as although I didn't take any of the photos (I'm in them!) I did the substantial editing required to get the final image.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5