Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

17 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Just sit back and enjoy the Four Seasons press conference.

That press conference was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Peculiarly apt as a dispenser of manure held a press conference in a place that sells it.

• Funny 5

The Garden Centre was in an interesting location – sandwiched between a crematorium and a warehouse full of dildos. I'm sure someone could construct an elaborate metaphor out of that.

Edited by wagonman
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Had a quick glimpse at the 0 gauge film, which I've never seen before, and will savour it at length later.

Is it just me, or did the guy somehow manage to be himself and Louis Theroux doing one of his 'getting people to make people look more than a tad eccentric' interviews, both at the same time?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Had a quick glimpse at the 0 gauge film, which I've never seen before, and will savour it at length later.

Is it just me, or did the guy somehow manage to be himself and Louis Theroux doing one of his 'getting people to make people look more than a tad eccentric' interviews, both at the same time?

I recall Dave Allen did a programme in the same Louis Theroux style  about English eccentrics. It included  a husband and wife who ran their model railway to a strict timetable, while dressed for the part.

And  Ivor Cutler, the forgotten Scottish Shakespeare.

Thank you youtube, here it is.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to keep picking over the Trump / Napoleon comparison but I did read a suggestion that Trump might live in exile on one of his Scottish golf courses. That would be St Helena-ish enough at certain times of year!

I once went to a conference organised by on of the American scientific societies at the SCC. I couldn't help suspecting that whoever had suggested Scotland in the Fall as the ideal place for a conference had been thinking of the Trossachs in September, not in Glasgow in November.

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

47 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I did read a suggestion that Trump might live in exile on one of his Scottish golf courses

If the stories about the state of his business finances are true, the the cry o'er the links might soon be "Fore ......... closure!".

Which made me think of Miss Joan Hunter Dunn and her beau, nesting in a Rover till twenty to one, in golf club carpark.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

I'd expected that bit from 'Downfall' that everybody changes the sub-titles to suit comedy circumstances, where Adolf cracks a wobbly when he discovers that his army is rapidly eroding would have shown up by now with Trump railing against various states and Fox News turning on him,  but I've yet to see one

.  May be its a bit obvious and internet humour is more subtle and nuanced.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I recall Dave Allen did a programme in the same Louis Theroux style  about English eccentrics. It included  a husband and wife who ran their model railway to a strict timetable, while dressed for the part.

And  Ivor Cutler, the forgotten Scottish Shakespeare.

Thank you youtube, here it is.

Oh that is priceless; central heating in the railway shed (but not in the house!) and mice stealing the passengers!

What a lovely old fellow.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I'd expected that bit from 'Downfall' that everybody changes the sub-titles to suit comedy circumstances, where Adolf cracks a wobbly when he discovers that his army is rapidly eroding would have shown up by now with Trump railing against various states and Fox News turning on him,  but I've yet to see one

.  May be its a bit obvious and internet humour is more subtle and nuanced.  

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2020/11/05/trump-realising-he-cant-stop-count-greatest-downfall-meme/

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 2

The latest news I've heard is that the Secret Service has just increased the height of the walls of his play pen to save them from having to throw the toys back in ........

I was impressed by the way that the US networks cut away from the overnight (my time) Kayleigh McEnany press conference when she started with the now boring grab bag of false assertions about fraud etc. Looks like the US press is getting some pleasure out of demanding that Trump stick to facts rather than unsubstantiated assertions. In any case I thought that McEnany had quit some weeks back due to her husband joining the ranks of the Republicans who have disowned Trump.

But back to the now infamous Giuliani press conference at the Four Seasons the expression on his face when the reporter completely blind sided him with the announcement about the Pennsylvania win for Biden was priceless. Let's face it even Nixon managed to depart the White House with more dignity ..... 

Oh well the perils of populism - after you've voted for the free beer candidate you always find that they're a one trick pony.     

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I watched the Four Seasons press conference, or as much as I could stand, though I did reach the Moment of Tuth.

What an unprepossessing venue! 

I suspect that the intention was that Guiliani would be filmed front-on against the back-drop of Republican posters.  Instead he was filmed obliquely, showing off the locale in all its depressing @rse-end-of-a-factory-where-they-put-the-bins-out aesthetic. 

Guiliani cut a sorry figure; in semi-profile, short, stocky and hunched, he looked like a mournful goblin explaining that the Dark Lord did not concede defeat and was filing suit challenging the fraudulent destruction of the Ring of Power just when he thought he had destroyed the World of Men in battle.

I find it very striking that the mainstream media, almost simultaneously, has sensed that the lies, which were always lies, had reached such a point of such comic unsustainability that, rather than report and bemoan, they could just do the broadcast equivalent of "la-la-la, I'm not listening".     

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Brilliant line from US academic on The Long View a moment ago:

”President Trump has been offered many opportunities in recent years to show his better side; he has almost always declined.”

What was the (implied) exception?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

What was the (implied) exception?

Probably to cover herself against a Trumped-up law suit.

Edited by ian
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

”President Trump has been offered many opportunities in recent years to show his better side; he has almost always declined.”

According to Mary Trump he doesn't have a better side: they're both just as bad.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1