Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

8 minutes ago, Annie said:

A mysterious metal monolith has been found planted in the ground in a remote part of the United States.

The truth is out there.........

Though as a person who has a problem with a sleep disorder I do have to say that counting sheep from a helicopter sounds awfully dangerous to me. 

!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

On 20/11/2020 at 18:11, Edwardian said:

We are told that it is unprecedented for a minister not to resign where the Ministerial Code has been breached. So, it is a convention, and one that safeguards us from certain levels of conduct by ministers of the Crown, that you resign if you breach these rules.

My learned colleague may (or may not) be interested to learn when the Ministerial Code was introduced.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/ministerial-code

It appears to be only 10 years ago in 2010.

I'd be grateful to learn what had happened in 2010 (or before) that prompted that to be published, and which minister(s) it had in mind back then?

• Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Annie said:

Actually visible in Google Earth, reckoned to have been there for some years, but only just noticed by MSM.

https://earth.google.com/web/@38.34304222,-109.66601192,1317.3778543a,139.1139794d,35y,0h,0t,0r

• Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Edwardian said:

In the news today ....

In the fast-moving world of Cambridge University, it has taken a mere two decades for the University Library to report the theft of Charles Darwin's notebooks.

Almost (but not quite) a candidate for a Darwin Award?

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I'd be grateful to learn what had happened in 2010 (or before) that prompted that to be published, and which minister(s) it had in mind back then?

Liam Fox made an undignified departure from office around that time but I am not sure that the Ministerial Code was down to him. 

Best wishes 
Eric 

9 hours ago, Annie said:

A mysterious metal monolith has been found planted in the ground in a remote part of the United States.

The truth is out there.........

Though as a person who has a problem with a sleep disorder I do have to say that counting sheep from a helicopter sounds awfully dangerous to me. 

Apparently it's a sacred site for this group of people trying to overturn the democratic vote ............  

222.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

If you read the Boris-ised version of the Ministerial Code, it does make you wonder.

The core of the thing is, logically enough, the Nolan Principles, and stuff about cabinet collective responsibility, etc, but he has helpfully provided a foreword, which is all about not shilly-shallying, delivering Brexit by 31st October (it doesn't say which year!) etc.

Any newbie-minister would get a very clear message about  what was really important to their boss on the day he signed it off.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 24/11/2020 at 02:35, Edwardian said:

In the news today ....

In the fast-moving world of Cambridge University, it has taken a mere two decades for the University Library to report the theft of Charles Darwin's notebooks.

I have had those notebooks in my hands, and have seen the page where Darwin first mentions what became his theory of evolution. (Before anyone starts calling the authorities, it was 40 years ago, it was in a secure room in Cambridge University Library, and I was employed there at the time!)

It’s not impossible that they could turn up within the library. Mis-shelving is a real problem in libraries, and there are over 130 miles of shelving in that library. In another large library I worked in, there were regular checks for that. Usually, a book would be a few inches out of place, sometimes a shelf, even a bay of shelves out of place. However, books were occasionally found shelved on the wrong floor.

Having said that, the odds are that they have been stolen. They (or at least the text from them) have been digitized, though. That project was in progress when I handled them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, pH said:

Mis-shelving is a real problem in libraries,

I quite agree.

I have enough trouble finding stuff in my own library which occupies a roughly 8 by 10 foot space.

Uax6 is a regular user. 

He asks for something and I say, "Yes, got that."

We then spend half an hour looking for it.

Sometimes we find it, sometimes we don't.

He has a book on loan at the moment having last asked for a very specific edition of the 1970s Railway Modeller.

We usually come across a lot of intersting stuff along the way though, things that I often did not know that I had.

Mis-shelving was a dodgy tactic deliberately employed in my undergrad days.

We had to submit four essays at Birmingham for the equivalent of one of our final papers, so it was competitive essay writing!

With twenty or thirty on a course, it was not unusual for certain relevant texts to "disappear" even though no-one had them out of the library.

I was lucky enough to live close enough to Leeds University and use their facilities instead.

Coming to grips with the "home brewed" Brotherton Library classification system (quite unlike the standard Dewey system) made for an exciting tiome however.

Ian T

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Re:

Mis-shelving.

I spent nearly an hour today looking for a magazine (Backtrack) containing details of a late 19thC plate girder bridge.

It wasn't where I'm sure I placed it a year ago, but I eventually found it in the bedside shelves were I put material relating to projects I'm working on.

The problem with searching is that one gets distracted by other articles and subject matter.

(And I'm still not sure whether the 'flyover' spans at Relly (or Relley) Mill Junction were wrought iron or steel. Not that that matters - because mine will be made out of card!)

• Like 2

Rural County Durham to be stiffed again by Tier 3. I am dismayed, rather than surprised. Am I alone in getting thoroughly bored of this?

Tier 3 v. Lockdown? Apart from the fact that I can soon have a haircut (which I don't need), though still not a pint (which I do), I'm struggling to notice much difference.

Yet the highest rates are in secondary school children; so I'll remain fully exposed even in Tier 3, whilst enduring enforced misery to little or no purpose. 

It's the combination of two things that make me really hacked off. First, the unshakable conviction that the incompetence and delay by HMG early this year that led to Covid getting out of, and never back in control means that we have to keep locking down; Prof Tim Spector on the radio is explaining how lockdown and tiers did not actually work, which is not a helpful thing to hear, whether true or not.  Second, the fact that the authorities still can't or won't distinguish between what may be happening in towns and what is happening in place like mine, where my dog and I socially distance from sheep and I can cross a field from County Durham (Tier 3) and North Yorkshire (Tier 2). I notice they can manage to distinguish between Slough (Tier 3) and the rest of Berkshire (Tier 2).

If these measures are (a) really necessary and (b) have a realistic prospect of success, why the bl00dy-blue-b*ggering Hell are we being let out for Christmas?  Tier 3 people (me) will go magically from no household mixing whatsoever to 3 households mixing indoors for 5 days. WTF? 

The result will doubtless be to return to Tier 3 or lockdown until such time as Rishi hikes up corporation and income tax to knacker what's left of my income (who did not qualify for any of his munificence).

Remind me, when's the next General Election?

Yours P1ssed off of County Durham.

The 2 December tiers in full from the Grauniad:

Tier 3: Very High alert
North East:

Hartlepool

Middlesbrough

Stockton-on-Tees

Redcar and Cleveland

Darlington
Sunderland

South Tyneside

Gateshead

Newcastle upon Tyne
North Tyneside
County Durham
Northumberland

North West:

Greater Manchester
Lancashire
Blackpool
Blackburn with Darwen
Yorkshire and The Humber:
The Humber
West Yorkshire
South Yorkshire
West Midlands:
Birmingham and Black Country
Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent
Warwickshire, Coventry and Solihull
East Midlands:
Derby and Derbyshire
Nottingham and Nottinghamshire
Leicester and Leicestershire
Lincolnshire
South East:
Slough (remainder of Berkshire is tier 2: High alert)
Kent and Medway
South West
Bristol
South Gloucestershire
North Somerset

Tier 2: High alert
North West:
Cumbria
Liverpool City Region
Warrington and Cheshire
Yorkshire:
York
North Yorkshire
West Midlands:
Worcestershire
Herefordshire
Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin
East Midlands:
Rutland
Northamptonshire
East of England:
Suffolk
Hertfordshire
Cambridgeshire, including Peterborough
Norfolk
Essex, Thurrock and Southend on Sea
Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes
London:
All 32 boroughs plus the City of London
South East:
East Sussex
West Sussex
Brighton and Hove
Surrey
Reading
Wokingham
Bracknell Forest
Windsor and Maidenhead
West Berkshire
Hampshire (except the Isle of Wight), Portsmouth and Southampton
Buckinghamshire
Oxfordshire
South West:
South Somerset, Somerset West and Taunton, Mendip and Sedgemoor
Bath and North East Somerset
Dorset
Bournemouth
Christchurch
Poole
Gloucestershire
Wiltshire and Swindon
Devon

Tier 1: Medium alert
South East:
Isle of Wight
South West:
Cornwall
Isles of Scilly

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Norfolk's the same, all lumped in together, when some areas (Wymondham) have a rate over 10 times that of  North Norfolk .

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Norfolk's the same, all lumped in together, when some areas (Wymondham) have a rate over 10 times that of  North Norfolk .

We are still talking of Covid-19 here, and not in-breeding?

• Funny 7

I can't help but feel that England is in a right mess with BoJo and co running about like headless chickens.

In my view, it's not the restrictions that aren't working, but the selfish idiots who refuse to stick to the rules who are causing all the problems.  Our son is working down in Peterborough at the moment and tells us that during the current 'lockdown' you would think nothing was any different given the way people are behaving.

Despite the fact that we are 'allowed' to, my wife and I will not be mixing with anyone at Christmas.  Our daughter and her family are literally 5 minutes walk away, but they too will be staying behind what Prof. Jason Leitch has described as 'the best defence against Covid - your front door', since our granddaughter is immunosuppressed, having undergone a liver transplant.  What you 'can' do and what common sense tells you you 'should' do are two different things.

Stay home, stay safe and carry on modelling.

Jim

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I notice they can manage to distinguish between Slough (Tier 3) and the rest of Berkshire (Tier 2).

Unitary Authorities. Berkshire is an ex-county and has been since I forget when - late 1990s. If the unitary authority idea had caught on, then the gradation of tiering could be more subtle but for some arcane reason when it came to it every other county council found good reasons for its continued existence. The real disaster was that with the break-up of Berkshire County Libraries, when we moved over the border into Wokingham*, I lost access to Reading Central Library's loan copies of Bradley's Southern-constituent locomotive books.

*Although where we live is really part of Reading. Wokingham itself is a place I go less than once in a blue moon; it has no relevance to me.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2